One with Dad

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Gussy

One with Dad

Post by Gussy »

There's an early pheasant old farts hunt this year. I was deciding which shotgun to take out when I noticed my Dad's old A5 sitting in the safe. Pheasant hunting was one of his favorites. I haven't hunted with him in over 50 yrs and thought that this would be a nice time to. I was also taking my Lab pup on his first real hunt. My hunting partner and I hit one of our spots and I had a big old roster jump right beside me. I'm not sure who pulled the trigger, but the bird dropped and the Lab got it.

Don McDowell

Re: One with Dad

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Thanks for sharing that Jim.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Great story Jim :!:
THX for sharing it.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
bigted

Post by bigted »

Jim...i also have my dads a-5. it is a real shooter and i fondly recall the day when he got it in partial trade for his Stihl 090 chainsaw after he broke his back falling 20 feet and landing on his back on a huge old growth fir he had fell with that monster chainsaw. i have taken the shotgun out for grouse and rabbits and if im not terribly carefull ill ruin them with the full choke barrel. up to 20 long paces tho the head shot birds and rabbits are good pot fair.

congratulations on the succesfull hunt and great writeup...thanks from up here as well.

Ted
when all is said n done...more will be said then done
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Boy Gussy, you make the memories come flooding back of my days afield hunting ring necks with my dad and his friends.
I don't have his single barrel Stevens that he killed a lot of pheasants with but I still have my old single barrel Iver Johnson he bought me when I was fourteen. Think he gave something like twelve dollars for it. :lol:
Auto-5s are a true American classic and I was just looking at a Belgium made gun about three weeks ago for my son. They wanted 600.00 for it but I've seen them go for five at gun shows.
Great story and picture! MD
Denali

Post by Denali »

Thanks for sharing Gussy! I have always wanted an A-5 and I almost bought one years ago when they still made them.
Nice looking lab! I have a yellow one and a black one. I need to take them out. Most of my pheasant memories were in my teens living on a farm. Haven't hunted them in years though.
Take care!

Mike
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Maybe odd, maybe not.... I went out today and it was an exact repeat!! Only one bird got up today and it was right by me. The A5 felt like it was home.

Yesterday as I cleaned the shotgun, I opened a drawer and got out the small envelope that came with that A5. On it is written my Dad's name, 1935 and $65.00. It started life as a 36" full choke. Later cut to about 34" and a Poly choke put on, again, later cut to 30" and the choke reinstalled. Still has the original, very worn, finish. :)
WHO CARES

Post by WHO CARES »

I shoot an A-5 from that era, 210,000 serial number which is 1938 IIRC. They still had the old "bump" safety in the front of the trigger guard then. I use mine for late season South Dakota pheasant hunting. The stock is such that it fits me well when wearing some heavy gear for the snow and cold. Lot of machine work in one of those guys!

ward
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

How many companies copied this Browning design? I have an Auto-5 clone made by Savage with an alloy receiver. It was given to me with a busted stock and cut off barrel so I repaired the stock , cut the barrel to legal length and keep it at the cabin for a bear gun.
Boy does that thing kick with slugs or buck shot !
I also have a nice Winchester 101 in 12 gauge but my work gun is a Winchester model 12 with a polly-choke on the end for a total length of 25 inches. It works great for a short fellow like myself.
Ducks over Deec's get the modified setting and # 3 steel. Wish it had a rib but I do ok with this "parts gun" put together about 30 years ago now.
This parts gun with miss matching serial numbers drives my rather prudish shot gun friend, who likes and owns some rather high end doubles,to distraction. :lol: I guess folks forget that they all start out as parts guns before serial #'s are stamped on them after fitting. I've seen parts guns that were far better fit together than the same gun offered by the factory new! What do they think a custom gun is? :D MD