Hunting with a legend!

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Stephen Borud

Hunting with a legend!

Post by Stephen Borud »

I had the honor to hunt with Orville today on his ranch! The Elk Horn on Eagle Creek is one hell of a place to be! My Sharps of choice today was the 50 2 1/2! The historic load consisted of a 100 grains of Goex express Fg, .025 card, 3/16" of lube, .025 card and a 473 grain PP bullet! A 50 yard shot on a 3x3 mule deer buck threw the lights made short work of the beast! A short trott of 30 yards and it was over! STEAKS!!!!!! The hunt was only a small part of our adventure today! The real fun came later! I will start a new thread for that!

http://m559.photobucket.com/albumview/a ... l?newest=1

Stephen
Don McDowell

Re: Hunting with a legend!

Post by Don McDowell »

Congrats on filling the deer tag
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Don McDowell wrote:Congrats on filling the deer tag
Thanks Don! I usually don't deer hunt! It was a great day to hunt and harvest this buck!

Stephen
Denali

Post by Denali »

Great job Stephen!

Thanks for sharing!
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Your welcome Denali!

I should mention that I gutted this deer with a very special knife! This is and always will be the best knife I will ever own! Made by a master of the blade, it made short work of this deer!
Thanks Bill!!!!

Stephen
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Stephen--Congratulations to you and Orville on a great day. Some hunts stay in your memory bank for life, and this is likely one of them. Good going. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Thank you Bill!

Stephen
58limited

Post by 58limited »

I must say that I'm jealous - I'm still recovering from neck surgery and I'm not sure if I'll be able to work up some loads and hunt this year. I'm glad you had a good hunt, your last photo was especially intriguing :) Enlighten me further about your knife.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

58limited wrote:I must say that I'm jealous - I'm still recovering from neck surgery and I'm not sure if I'll be able to work up some loads and hunt this year. I'm glad you had a good hunt, your last photo was especially intriguing :) Enlighten me further about your knife.

The knife was built by Bill Bagwell! I wanted a true master to build me the ultimate hunting knife and he did! It has a Damascus blade with a bone handle!

Stephen
pete

Post by pete »

Oh c'mon Stephen you know 50 yds. was stretching the capabilities of you and the .50. :roll: :lol:
Congratulations on a good time and a good buck.

Maybe it's just me but the photos are small. Is there a way to enlargen them without using the enlargement feature on my computer?
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

pete wrote:Oh c'mon Stephen you know 50 yds. was stretching the capabilities of you and the .50. :roll: :lol:
Congratulations on a good time and a good buck.

Maybe it's just me but the photos are small. Is there a way to enlargen them without using the enlargement feature on my computer?
I have no idea Pete! I can only get the picture to show up as a link! Not sure what I'm doing wrong! PM your email
address and I will send you some big pictures! When I walked up to the buck he had strips of PP on his hide! :) it was a borderline shot for the 50!

Stephen
pete

Post by pete »

Ok Stephen will do. "Enlargen" ! Did I really say that? :oops: :)
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

pete wrote:Ok Stephen will do. "Enlargen" ! Did I really say that? :oops: :)
Yes you did Pete! :lol: that's ok I'm from North Dakota so I understood!

Stephen
pete

Post by pete »

:lol:
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

hpguy420 wrote:
Stephen Borud wrote:...When I walked up to the buck he had strips of PP on his hide! :) it was a borderline shot for the 50!
Stephen
Stephen,

That can't be good. I'm sure the ODG's didn't have paper sticking to their bullets upon exit from muzzle, which is what must have happened with your bullet to have strips of PP on your downed, buck's hide.

And, I hate to be picky and petty, but every time I read the word "harvest," I cringe. You sound like some of my left-wing, politically correct, numbskull friends. Soy beans, corn and wheat are "harvested." Game is shot, killed, etc. Come'on, grow a pair and quit being so politically correct. HowSomeEver, I do really enjoy your posts as well as Orville's, sorry for the raking you over the coals, but we don't need no stinking political correctness on this site. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Now, where's that Sr. Harsh Bro when we need him. :lol: :lol: :lol: He don't use "harvest" when he nails game.
Dan,

The PP on the hide comment was a joke! The rest of your comments are unnecessary! I work in the oilfield Dan, there is nothing politically correct about it! Now I would normally be very brutal to a guy like you with your attitude, but I'm not going too! I have respect for the people that run this forum so I will leave it at that!

Stephen