learned a lesson

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Hartford Pete

learned a lesson

Post by Hartford Pete »

Took the Business Rifle deer hunting last week and found a decent buck. I ranged him at 305 yds which is about where the low setting on the slider hits. No way to get closer and I had a good rest. The deer is looking right at me. I squeezed one off and he dropped as if poll axed. My son and I were congratulating ourselves on my fine shot and I said, "Lets go take care of him". We start walking and the deer gets up and starts to walk off. I left my rangfinder in the truck and since I was in a different position, proceded to miss him 5 times, over, under etc. We can't catch the deer before dark and only found two silver dollar sized patches of blood. I looked for him for two days expecting to eat my tag since I didn't want to shoot another one. On day two, now carrying my 40 year old .270, I found him chasing some does. I easily dispatched him at 200 yds and found I had creased him in the neck with the 500 gr PP bullet doing little more than stunning him. I verified this when I skinned him as well. Just like creaing wild horses.
The moral is don't get cocky and shoot beyond you certainty. I had told my son, I'm pretty sure I can make this shot". Bad choice, sorry Rdnk. I am working on the sights.
Here is what he looks like.
-plc-
Mike Johnson

Re: learned a lesson

Post by Mike Johnson »

Nice deer. Thanks for the lesson learned
Shiloh 1863 .54 MR
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

HP, A really nice 5x5 MD, and an outstanding job of following up on the initial shot. It takes a high level perseverence to make it all happen like you did, and an excellent lesson for all of us. Nicely done; my compliments.

Regards
"So many liberals, and so little time to teach them how to balance a checkbook." (Unknown)
Denali

Post by Denali »

Congratulations Pete for sticking it out. Very nice deer by the way!
Hartford Pete

Post by Hartford Pete »

Thanks guys. Yes, I was exceedingly lucky to find that deer. I should have taken a photo of the hole in his neck before I cut him up. I could stick my little finger in it and it came out blood free. I'm glad I stuck with it too, but it doesn't excuse my poor judgement on taking that shot. I used my story at Hunter Ed. class as an example of what NOT to do in deciding to shoot and what TO do in following up a wounded animal. I am a hunter education instructor here in CO.
-plc-
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

I have to admire someone who can even get a sight picture going on a deer that far off!
Sam
pete

Post by pete »

H. Pete;
Congratulations he's a nice buck, 23" or so wide? I did something similar on an antelope when I started hunting with a muzzleloader. He went down instantly and I'm all happy and then he got up and walked away slowly at first and then he got better. By the time I got reloaded he was too far away to shoot at and I never did find him. My max. range with the Sharps is 225 but only under good conditions with the peep sight. As you can tell I'm not the greatest shot. Funny how the 200 yd. shot with a .270 seems almost routine but not with a Sharps.....at least for me. But on the other hand it wouldn't be nearly as rewarding if it was.