Long time coming antelope

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Mike Johnson

Re: Long time coming antelope

Post by Mike Johnson »

Congrats to you. Great story, beautiful rifle and hunting partner, great shot. May the meals bless you and your family. A sharps antelope hunt is on my wish list. Blessings
Shiloh 1863 .54 MR
pete

Post by pete »

Mike;
Thank you I appreciate that. I hope you get your wish. If you like a cat and mouse sneak style of hunting you'll enjoy it and you might take home some souvenir cactus spines too. :)
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Nice work Pete!

I really like that wind guage on the barrel of your sharps. Simple works huh? :)

I pack roofers knee pads and leather gloves for the cactus spines.

Antelope does are my pick for good eating.

Congratulations!
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Up In Smoke

Post by Up In Smoke »

pete wrote:Thanks for the replies. I went back and tried to delete my last sentence with the doe comment because it was stupid and inapropriate and doesn't reflect my viewpoint. It's just that there are some guys who do have that view.....but that's their problem.
I talked to a game warden before this trip and he said the drought had the antelope harder to find in general during October he also said the meat from from December antelope is different than October ones possibly because the rut is over. I like antelope anyway but I'm interested to find out. I did notice she had more fat than they typically do.
One of my most memorable hunts involved a whitetail doe I took with my Hawken muzzleloader. I had to sneek across 300 yds of CRP alternating between crawling on my stomach and scooting along on my butt before I got about 60-70 yds from her for the shot. Trophys should be considered not by how big they are, but the level of effort involved in taking them.
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet."
Admiral William F. “Bull” Halsey
pete

Post by pete »

Marathonman;
Thanks. Yea that gauge works good. Like you said it's simple and it's always there when you need it. Ironically it was fairly calm until just before I shot. I was concentrating on the antelope and where the sights were that I didn't notice it. It was around 15 mph. The knee pads and gloves are a good ideas. I especially hate it when I put my hand on one of those dead hard to see cactus. Sometimes I've been so engrossed in a stalk I only somewhat notice but afterward I'm feeling it.

Up in Smoke;
I absolutely agree with you and that's what made me annoyed at myself for that sentence because overwhelmingly most of the people here aren't snobs. Sure most people would like a huge buck, bull or whatever but along the lines of what you said that in and of itself doesn't dictate trophy status. After all the real world isn't like those phony hunting shows. :roll: Congratulations on getting that deer with your Hawken.
Denali

Post by Denali »

Pete, Up in Smoke;

I'm with you there. Just filled my archery tag with a button buck and feel good about the experience. Below a doe by trophy standards but that's ok with me. Watching my 20 month old chewing on the jerky sticks I just pulled out of the dehydrator today and asking for more makes it worthwhile for me.

Mike
pete

Post by pete »

Denali;
Congratulations. Getting a wild deer, a truly wild deer and not one in a deer farm with a bow is an accomplishment good job, and your son reaping the rewards for your effort adds to the feeling.