In what condition do you carry the sharps while hunting?

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Don McDowell

Re: In what condition do you carry the sharps while hunting?

Post by Don McDowell »

So when you're hunting those birds and rabbits , do you wait to load the gun until you see them flush?
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Woody

Post by Woody »

Don,

You'll notice I didn't mention the condition I carry, only a couple of things to consider. So to answer your question on birds and bunnies, I hunt them with a double hammer gun. The chambers are loaded and the hammers are down. No safety notch, but the hammers are rebounding. I also daily carry a Colt Commander or Officer's Model .45. Guess what condition that is?

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

All the snide comments and attempts at humor aside. Do whatever the hell you want!

My third grade teachers son was shot in the head and killed by a hunting companion. I still remember the look on her face.

I saw a guy shoot his dog one time.

Witnessed someone shoot their companion in the arm while hunting.

Still remember the shock of having a rifle go off right by my head from the hands of my best friend.

Watched in disbelief as someone shot themselves and lived.

Go ahead Don and make this post funny.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Woody that's sort of what I figured you'ld say. :wink:

Marathonman to quote that wise old Ron White, "you can't fix stupid". Basic firearms safety says don't point the muzzle of a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot.
The trajedy's you tell of (that's one hell of a bunch for one person) are all senseless mistakes and the result of poor gun handling, and severe violation of the basic safety procedures folks should be taught before they get to handle a weapon and ammunition. Pure and simple.
Nothing funny about stupid people that have a firearm and a live round that fits that firearm.
I don't know exactly how many people and loaded firearms I've been around in hunting situations, but it's a bunch, over the course of my lifetime. Spent many many a long day as a licensed professional hunter herder, been a certified hunter safety instructor, and have been around firearms and folks that use them for various purposes my entire life. I can tell you that I feel more uncomfortable at a shooting competition than I ever have in the thousands of days spent afield.
So my suggestion to you is back off son, you're not talking to someone with a pitiful lack of experience around firearms, or knowledge of how to handle them, such as in the examples you gave.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

I guess I didn't think Don was trying to be funny. His point was that when you are hunting birds or rabbits, you just about have to have a round in the chamber. As an avid hunter, range safety officer, professional hunting guide, and someone who packs a rifle 365 days a year, your stories of accidental discharges are appalling. I can't imagine the pain caused by these accidents. However, I must say, what the hell were they doing allowing their muzzle to cover something they didn't want to destroy? Furthermore, They apparently had their finger on the trigger while the muzzle was covering something they didn't want to destroy?! Muzzle control is my number one concern when hunting with someone. As far as I am concerned all guns are always loaded all the time. Now you don't have to worry about whether or not it is loaded or there is one in the chamber. Just assume that there is. 90% of the accidental discharges I am aware of were all from an "empty gun." The rest are either the trigger catching on something, a faulty mechanism resulting in the gun firing when the bolt closed or the safety was flicked off, or some dumb a$$ putting his trigger on the finger before he is ready to shoot and pulling on accident. All of which result only in a surprise as long as the muzzle is in a safe direction. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER let you muzzle cover something you are not willing to destroy.
Good Luck and safe hunting to everyone, Cody
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

My comment to Don was out of line, sorry Don.

I am a huge advocate for gun safety as you may have guessed by now. I'm not without considerable experience either. In my time volunteering for the Boulder County Sheriffs Office I've come in contact with many unpleasant circumstances. That plus exposure to a number of hunting accidents (people with decades of experience have them all the time) has made me a bit touchy.

Overcautious maybe but still alive.

Dan
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

What is quite annoying to me is.............why don't the public schools in America teach basic gun safety courses or at least make them available to all students in all schools should they choose at some point to take the course between first and twelfth grade :?:

Actually, I think it should be mandatory.

Another pet peeve..........."ANY HUNTER" should "demonstrate" proficiency at gun safety and minimum marksmanship proficiency with his own rifle that he intends to hunt with before being able to apply for a "Big Game License." :x :x :x And I don't mean at 100 yards from a bench rest. :wink:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Actually there are quite a few schools that offer hunter safety courses.
I agree a bunch on hunters should prove firearms proficiency, and that has a lot to do with places like Colorado making anyone born after 1949 show a hunter safety certificate before they can even purchase a license.
Little inside baseball story here... When you see or hear of the outfitter/guide taking a hunter to the range to check the rifles zero...That's NOT the only thing going on. A shooters gun handling abilty, familiarity with the gun, and shooting capabilities (ie how close are we going to have to get this guy before he can hit something) are all being evaluated.