Georgia Rattlesnake

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RMulhern

Georgia Rattlesnake

Post by RMulhern »

Texas ain't got any big snakes! This one was measured at 9 1/2 feet!

image001 by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

Guy was sitting in a ground blind hog hunting when the snake drove up and stuck it's head into the blind at which time it received a .22 bullet from the fellows pistol. Head was 5 1/2" wide and fangs 2 1/2" in length and had 22 rattles!
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
RMulhern

Re: Georgia Rattlesnake

Post by RMulhern »

There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

That is some snake!!!!

A couple of months ago in American Handgunner Magazine,MLV had written an interesting article about dispatching snakes with handgun loads.

In my area,poisonous snakes are very few and far between and never would be anywhere near the size of the one in the photo. However,I still pack a Bond Arms Derringer in 410 (3 inch) for the possibility of an encounter.

Top Dog
Be carefull of the words you speak
Choose them soft and sweet
Yopu never know which ones you're gonna eat
13Echo

Post by 13Echo »

Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake. Largest venomous snake north of Mexico and, with the Indigo snake, the largest snake north of Mexico. Best documented record is 8' with anecdotal reports of much larger. That is a lot of snake by any measure.

When I was stationed at Ft. Bliss in El Paso I lived on the flank of Franklin mountain with uninhabited land starting in the backyard. Blacktail rattlers were a common visitor to the yard. They were such calm, well behaved snakes that I just couldn't kill so I would capture them and take them out to the desert several miles off to release. The occasional Western Diamondbacks weren't so well behaved though and usually met a different fate. There were Rock rattlesnakes up the mountain that were a rather beautiful green color but were rare and never actually came to visit. We had at least one GI get bit while out on training exercise each year. It was amazing how often this happened because the troop was messing with the snake. No cure for stupid.

Jerry Liles
Jerry
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

Echo13,
Yup,no cure for stupid. Best way to avoid being bitten by a snake is not to handle it.

The one snake that I fear(ed) the most was the cobra. They were quite numerous where I was in SE Asia plus a number of other assorted nasties.

Top Dog
Be carefull of the words you speak
Choose them soft and sweet
Yopu never know which ones you're gonna eat