Another porch elk

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Hartford Pete

Another porch elk

Post by Hartford Pete »

Well, not quite from the porch, but close. About 1/2 mile. No, I did not use one of my Sharps but I did use another favorite, my "kind of new" Jack O'Connor tribute rifle. Got it at an NRA banquet last spring. I grew up with Jack and the .270 is my favorite non BPCR round. Been using that cartridge since I was a pup. Also shot a cow with it on one of our damage tags a couple of weeks ago. It has given a good 2 for 2 accounting of itself. If interested, the load is 130 gr. Speer boat tail over 54 gr IMR 4831, standard large rifle primer.
Notice the wiener dog thinks it is his!
Also used it as a training aid for our horses.
Cheers
-plc-

Gussy

Re: Another porch elk

Post by Gussy »

Nice elk. Now THAT'S the way to get an elk back home. Never had it quite that easy. Did bring one back tied to the Cat dozer once. :wink:
Orville

Post by Orville »

Nice bull, and that is the way to handle them.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
WHO CARES

Post by WHO CARES »

Congrats on a very nice bull! There is nothing wrong with one that is close to home and simple to retreive - kinda makes up for those that are a real pain to get out!

ward
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Dandy elk Pete. Good job

Stephen
Hartford Pete

Post by Hartford Pete »

Thanks guys. He is nice but he is a child compared to Orville's! We do have some like that but I took the one that gave me the best shot. Can't seem to top one my wife shot 4 years ago, also in our hay field. She won't let me forget either.
Here is what he looked like. I tell her he was a piker since he had 2 broken points! I did call him in for her though.

-plc-

pete

Post by pete »

Congratulations Hartford those are both fine examples of elkdom. I've only hunted elk maybe 6 times with a couple of raghorns so I'm envious. That is some nice wood on your Winchester.
Hartford Pete

Post by Hartford Pete »

pete wrote:Congratulations Hartford those are both fine examples of elkdom. I've only hunted elk maybe 6 times with a couple of raghorns so I'm envious. That is some nice wood on your Winchester.
Thanks Pete. We are very fortunate to be able to hunt animals like that on our place. Sometimes we cuss them for eating too much hay, but we would rather have them than not. CDOW has been good about giving us damage tags and trying to keep them off when it is most important.

The Winchester was a special edition offered one year as a tribute to jack O'Connor. I grew up an O'Connor reader and have always been a .270 fan for non-black powder shooting/hunting.

For those wondering why I did not use a Sharps on this elk, I can rarely get closer than 250-300 yards on our place, which I find too far for a BPCR, and I knew I would not be able to close in on this one. Also, we are immediately adjacent to a National Wildlife Refuge and guess where they go if wounded? When I shoot one I want to put it down immediately, if not sooner. For that reason I don't allow archery (not anymore) and won't use black powder, cartridge or muzzleloader, unless they are well away from our south boundary. I have done it, but I also had to call and get permission to retrieve one off the refuge once. I found that embarassing. I'll use my Sharps in the mountains horseback or when they are well away from the refuge boundary. I thought it was still worthwhile to show and consider it not too bad for a heart patient approaching 65.

HP