2013 Antelope Hunt (Marathonman)

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Marathonman

2013 Antelope Hunt (Marathonman)

Post by Marathonman »

Shot this one stealing my newspaper off the driveway! :lol:

Took Friday off work and went to Wyoming for the third time this season. The other two trips I came home empty handed! This day was different. Took a doe about mid morning and didn't see a buck I wanted till mid-afternoon. This one caught my eye and I got so excited I took a crazy long shot and didn't come within a Peyton Manning pass distance of hitting him. I did watch where he went and went back to the truck and circled behind the ridge. I stopped and got out and took the 14 pound Shiloh 45-10 along and stalked to where I thought he would be. As I peaked the ridge I got busted by three Black Angus cows who ran with their tails in the air and snot blowing from their noses directly at the buck. I positioned my self prone and the buck was only about 150 yards. He was of course blocked by the cows who had lost their surprise and wouldn't move in spite of my hat waving and yelling obscenities at them. The buck of course trotted away in a direct line until well out of range. Once more I watched carefully until he went over a ridge. I jumped back into the truck and blew my cows a love kiss and headed out to where I had last seen him. I got out and started to walk the ridge when panic set in that I might lose him. Went back and traded the Sharps for my .270 (This is where you should groan in disbelief) he was about a mile from where I saw him last and I could only get within about 4oo yards before he saw me. I dropped while setting the bipod and squeezed off a double lunger. At first I thought I missed as he showed no reaction to the shot other than trotting off again. I found him anyway but ran out of light before I could get decent pictures. Picture is from this morning.

Freak Wyoming Antelope 10-25-13.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Denali

Re: 2013 Antelope Hunt (Marathonman)

Post by Denali »

Nice buck! Crazy horns.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Say it ain't so! first Orville, then Pete, and now marathonman of all people using a bolt gun and jacketed bullets. This whole season is going to hell in a handbasket. rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Nice goat Marathonman. That ones got class!

Stephen
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

rdnck wrote:Say it ain't so! first Orville, then Pete, and now marathonman of all people using a bolt gun and jacketed bullets. This whole season is going to hell in a handbasket. rdnck.

You can count on me Bill. :lol: Gonna do a little deer hunting with Orville tomorrow. I will make sure he carries a Shiloh Sharps.

Stephen
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Thanks for the post Bill! I figured you would never talk to me again!! :lol: :lol:

A buck like this one doesn't come along very often and he's honestly the most outstanding buck I've ever seen alive.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Thanks Stephen!

Classy buck and headed for my wall. He very nearly got away from me and took quite a bit of effort.

Make sure Orville leaves that 338 in the safe! :wink:

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Marathonman wrote:Thanks Stephen!

Classy buck and headed for my wall. He very nearly got away from me and took quite a bit of effort.

Make sure Orville leaves that 338 in the safe! :wink:
I will 4 sure :)
pete

Post by pete »

He is an outstanding buck congratulations. He's got size and character and I've never a live one that big either. Did you get the doe with your Sharps?
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Yes, but haven't taken any doe pictures the last two years.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
pete

Post by pete »

Marathonman;
Well you should. I think any antelope with a Sharps is not something you see every day. Speaking of Manning I hope he has a good game today and the backs can hold onto the ball. Oh and the defensive secondary can stop somebody and the bone head personal foul penalties end. :roll: