antelope

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pete

antelope

Post by pete »

Stephen Borud

Re: antelope

Post by Stephen Borud »

Nice goat Pete.
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Good going Pete, can't wait to hear the story behind the photo. Speaking of which, that's a great field picture!
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Stephen. Posting pictures is a PIA for me. I put some text in but it didn't take so I'll try again. :x We got him October 5th which was opening day and the first time in a long time that's happened. We started out looking for a big buck that we've seen the last 2 years but he wasn't to be found so we checked some other spots. We saw this guy and his 6 does in a valley that luckily for us had a hill line that allowed us to get close enough for a shot and considering the 25-30 mph wind it had to be fairly close for my comfort level. At 110 yds it was about my limit under those conditions. He was standing broadside facing left into the wind and looking away from us at a small satellite buck. At the shot we heard the bullet hit even in that wind and he ran a short ways and stood there a little bit before laying down. Using the barrel sights I aimed a little high and at the forward part of his shoulder. The bullet still hit about 9 inches back but did it's job.
I was hoping for a big buck but considering the drought that's been tough and the Sharps challenge factor we were happy.
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Marathonman I appreciate it. We were lucky hunting and photographing.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Way to go Pete .nice buck .and with a sharps in the wind . Really clear picture as we'll
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Congratulations Pete. That's what antelope hunting is all about. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Pete, Nice goat, and a good shot in a lot of wind. If you don't mind, would you share some info re: your rifle and loads?
Regards
"So many liberals, and so little time to teach them how to balance a checkbook." (Unknown)
bobw

Post by bobw »

rdnck wrote:Congratulations Pete. That's what antelope hunting is all about. Shoot straight, rdnck.
I don't disagree with Rdnck much. But what antelope hunting is about for ME is "a good stalk on an animal you want and a 1 shot kill". Good shot Pete and a nice buck. bobw
bobw
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Nice buck Pete :!: Dang nice to finally see someone use a Sharps rifle to actually hunt and kill something. :D
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Hartford Pete

Post by Hartford Pete »

Great job Pete, regardless of what method you used. Lets hope our drought ends this year!
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Ironramrod;
The rifle is a Hartford with std weight 30" half octagon barrel, semi fancy wood, bone pack hardening, military butt, 45-70.
Load;
70gr. Swiss, Federal magnum primer and 429 gr. pure lead grooved bullet of my design. It's basically a grooved version of the original 420 gr. pp. Sharps bullet. It weighs 420 gr. at 20-1 and 429 with pure lead, has a .200 meplat like the original pp. I know grease groove bullets are frowned upon here lately but hey. :D
The exit wound was 7/8" so there decent expansion.

Hartford;
Yea I hope so too. The mid to late part of summer had good rain which we were happy about but spring and early summer there wasn't much.