The 50s

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Denali

Re: The 50s

Post by Denali »

Thanks for sharing Stephen! Nice work to you and Orville. You got a great thing going over there. Great pictures too.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Thanks Denali. More good times to come next year.
alans49

Post by alans49 »

Hi Stephen,
I hope you don't mind me cutting into your thread, but here is my latest with my "50". Orville's chamber .473 grain pure lead paper patch bullet

Alan in WI
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Good Job Alan. Glad you shared your hunt.

Stephen
bobw

Post by bobw »

Good job AlanS, good looking whitetail buck Congrats. Your sling arrangement reminds me exactly why I had Shiloh put sling swivel studs on my last one. bobw
bobw
Orville

Post by Orville »

Good job Alan.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Alan-- I like it. Really nice deer with a proper rifle. Good job and congratulations. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

What diameter and weight bullet are you boys using in your patched 50's? - Mike
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Michael Johnson wrote:What diameter and weight bullet are you boys using in your patched 50's? - Mike
Mike I'm shooting a copy of the original Sharps bullet. Mine is a tapered bullet, .494 OD 473 grain patched with 9 lbs onion skin paper. I know Orville is as well. I built a bullet mold that is the same as thee above mentioned bullet with a little different nose design this fall and killed a antelope doe with it. It worked slick.

Stephen
alans49

Post by alans49 »

I am swagging my bullets. They are identical to Orville's bullet. Shoots great! I also have a mold that I bought from Kal Tool and die: http://kal.castpics.net/Molds.html It casts a pretty close bullet to the swagged.

Alan
Alan in WI
Denali

Post by Denali »

Great job!

Doesnt get any better than that. Congratulations on that buck.
alans49

Post by alans49 »

Today is Thanksgiving and I have much to be thankful for. I sincerely hope all of you share the same. Happy Thanksgiving!

Alan
Alan in WI
Michael Johnson

The reason I asked the question about bullet base diameter is because I have a 50-90 Remington Rolling Block rifle that I hunt with. It was built by Dave Higginbotham using a 1:24 Green Mtn barrel. 50 cal bore and .508 groove to groove. I didn't like his rep for major free-bore so I had Dave Manson cut a tight chamber with no freebore reamer. I minimally neck size to reload after cleaning the brass. I shoot a Paul Jones Creedmoor with a flat nose. It weighs 550 grains in 40-1 alloy. I use 90 grains of Swiss 1Fg powder.I initially thought a cast paper patch bullet with a .492 base would work well. My grease groove bullets have worked well, I am just looking for something a little different to try. - Mike
Michael Johnson

Neck sizing PP 50s

I misspoke in the previous post. The bore diameter is .500, the groove diameter is .510. The lead into the rifling is 2.5 degrees. The inside diameter of the fired case neck is .510. For my BPCR's I have always used Meacham neck bushings. Do you just use enough neck size to allow a snug slip-fit of the patched bullet? - Mike
alans49

Post by alans49 »

Mike, I also use the Meacham bushings plus I have a custom sizing die. I size the neck so it is tight enough to hold the bullet but not overly tight. I patch the bullet to .499 and it is a tapered bullet. I have also used some heavy paper and did not size the neck at all. I got some real nice groups and I am going to work with that a bit more this summer. I want to find out how many shots I can take without wiping.

Alan
Alan in WI