I Want to hunt BUF !

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

airwinky

I Want to hunt BUF !

Post by airwinky »

Hello folks...
I am interested in trying a buffalo hunt with my Shiloh.
Looking for something traditional, not a pasture shoot.
With an outfitter that understands.
Love to hear from anybody with some experience and suggestions.
Thanks
Bill Broam

Re: I Want to hunt BUF !

Post by Bill Broam »

Sir; good morning, I would suggest the ShoBan web sight. Talk to lance his number is there. I got a 2 year old bull last year. Used the shiloh.
It was a good time and a fair chase hunt also. It is located in Pocatello Idaho on the Shoshone bannock reservation. Good luck and hope this helps. Bill
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

With the exception of Utah's Henri mtn herd, the wild bison permits issued for the GYA buffalo in Wyoming and Mt, buffalo are somebodies livestock and are going to be contained in a pasture somewhere some how.
The Durham ranch between Douglas and Gillette Wy have a pretty fair chunk of ground and they offer hunts. Ted Turner's land holdings are quite large and many of those offer bison hunts.
Google up bison hunts or buffalo hunts and see if anything there comes up that meets your requirements.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
XTR

Post by XTR »

Bison are cattle, they were always a "pasture hunt" for men with rifles. (bow and lance is another story) Think about it, even if the stories from the 1870s are exaggerated how would you kill a fraction of that many animals in a day, day in and day out?

I want to shoot a buffalo with mine too, but I have no illusions about the "hunt". It's harvesting meat.
pete

Post by pete »

I've been to the Turner's Sandhills ranch in Nebraska 3 times and was overall pretty happy with the setup there. The buffalo there are not fed or played with and are pretty wild. The second and third times stalks didn't go right and they took off. The third time I barely got one before dark. You know you'll see buffs and most likely get a shot so it's not like deer, antelope or elk but at least you had to work for them some. The last time was in 2005 so I don't know what they do now. This isn't the same as the other Sandhills ranch.

For thousands of years I think modern buffalo and their predecessors were the biggest things around and didn't have much to worry about and so consequently evolved into not fearing much. But obviously that was before horses and guns came along.