First deer with a Shiloh

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

marshalfire

First deer with a Shiloh

Post by marshalfire »

Today is the opening day of the Wisconsin deer rifle season. Excited as the ground was covered with about three inches of fresh snow and the temp this am when I climbed into my tree was about nine degrees. Using my Shiloh Sharps saddle rifle in 50-70 with 63 grains of kik 2F and the traditional Lyman cast (1/20) bullet. Followed others advise and made a copper penny front sight and opened the notch in the rear. About noon today was having a warm coffee to try to thraw out some and saw a doe come running and stop in the opening. A second deer was running after her but was standing in the dark spruce swamp about 85 yards away. Managed to get the coffee put away and get the bino's out to see that the deer in the swamp was a fat little spike buck. With the weather saying below zero Sunday this spike buck was too tempting to pass. Using the traditional sights I lose some hunting time due to reduced light so a clear shot at noon was the perfect opportunity. One shot, deer ran about 35 yards. Double lung shot and a nice fat deer for the winter.
Was great, using the Shiloh brought that excitement of my early years of hunting back. This is what the sport of hunting should be!
Last week sent a Shiloh to the factory to be barreled in 50-90.
Now next year should I use my Lone Star roller in 50-70, my Shiloh saddle in 50-70 or the new 50-90. Will be fun working with them all.
A safe thanksgiving to all
Don McDowell

Re: First deer with a Shiloh

Post by Don McDowell »

Good story , sure does put the fun back in hunting doesn't it.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Great story :!:
You sure Shiloh won't just re-cut the chamber and save you the cost of a re-bbl??
OR, is the twist different for the '90?
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

I too shot my first deer with a Shiloh Saddle Rifle but in .45-70 earlier this month. It is a great feeling and brings back the joys of earlier hunting.
Real gun powder is black.
marshalfire

Post by marshalfire »

Mr. Grits
I am sure that I could have shiloh recut the chamber to 50-90.
I have to admit I am lucky as I have a few shilohs and one of those was a 45-120 that is a beautiful gun but not one I felt was useful to me, this is the one I sent off to convert to the big fifty. I bought it for a price that makes the new barrel reasonable.
Also I must say I just really enjoy my 50-70, to me it is the most fun to shoot. The mild recoil and the big
50 caliber is an easy load and cast . Shooting it is like throwing bowling balls down range. I don't think that I will ever get rid of that little saddle gun, already told my son that will be his but hopefully in many years
Regards
Marshalfire