Down to the wire!

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Up In Smoke

Down to the wire!

Post by Up In Smoke »

Took me all season, but I finally found what I was looking for on the last day of the season. This is a central Montana 'whitey'. The rifle is a 45-70 Hartford. Load used was a 450 grn pp.

"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet."
Admiral William F. “Bull” Halsey
rdnck

Re: Down to the wire!

Post by rdnck »

That is a very nice deer with a traditional rifle and load. Well done and congratulations. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Nice Buck!!!! Good to see one that EHD missed. Did your area get hit very hard by it??
Dan
Up In Smoke

Post by Up In Smoke »

Dan O wrote:Nice Buck!!!! Good to see one that EHD missed. Did your area get hit very hard by it??
Dan
I had heard reports of EHD kills in the area. But I don't know that the deer in the mountains get affected with it the way the deer down lower do. This deer was out of the Snowies. From what I was seeing, he had more to worry about lions than EHD. When I was taking him out I came across at least 2 sets of cat tracks and drug the deer right over the top of what was left of an elk presumably killed by a cat.
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet."
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Up In Smoke wrote:
Dan O wrote:Nice Buck!!!! Good to see one that EHD missed. Did your area get hit very hard by it??
Dan
I had heard reports of EHD kills in the area. But I don't know that the deer in the mountains get affected with it the way the deer down lower do. This deer was out of the Snowies. From what I was seeing, he had more to worry about lions than EHD. When I was taking him out I came across at least 2 sets of cat tracks and drug the deer right over the top of what was left of an elk presumably killed by a cat.
Ya the predator situation is becoming a concern over a good part of the state. This year I moved to Seeley Lake and some of the long time locals say the Elk populations have been hurt from the growing wolf numbers. Last week the wife and I went out and cut a Christmas tree within 5 miles of town. With in a 1/2 mile of where we cut the tree I found wolf tracks, mountain lion and a grizzly track in the snow along with some deer tracks. I have been told the pack that works this area has 19 in it. That could be inaccurate but I know there are several in the area. Time to try some calling with the FoxPro :)
pete

Post by pete »

Congratulations, that's a very nice buck and using your Sharps makes him even more special I think.
Up In Smoke

Post by Up In Smoke »

pete wrote:Congratulations, that's a very nice buck and using your Sharps makes him even more special I think.
I've been hunting with blackpowder for about the last 13 years, and I just find it much more rewarding harvesting an animal with 'old school' equipment. Just something special about that big cloud of smoke out there at the end. :D
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Very nice U I Smoke. Paper patch bullets strike again.

Stephen
Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson »

Very nice. Great buck.
Shiloh 1863 .54 MR
Up In Smoke

Post by Up In Smoke »

Stephen Borud wrote:Very nice U I Smoke. Paper patch bullets strike again.

Stephen
Stephen, you will be pleased to know there is a piece of you in the picture. The copper blade sight is one you made that I acquired through your dad. :D
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

U I Smoke,
Congratulations on taking a very nice WT buck. It may have been down to the wire, but at the end of the day 1/4" is as good as a mile, too. Interesting to me was your copper blade front sight, because it was the very 1st thing I observed, when 1st looking at your picture several days ago. Being a dedicated copper blade front sight fan for hunting myself, you made an excellent choice. Again, congratulations on your deer, and enjoy the steaks, burger, etc.

Regards
IR
"So many liberals, and so little time to teach them how to balance a checkbook." (Unknown)
Up In Smoke

Post by Up In Smoke »

My aging eyes are able to pick up the copper much better than the original nickel blade. But at 53, no telling how much longer I will be using the barrel sights. Enjoy the party while it lasts its been said.
WHO CARES

Post by WHO CARES »

It's been a dozen years since I saw 53 and barrel sights work just fine for me! It's those dang hills that seem to get steeper each year.....

ward
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians.