Rdnck check this bullet out

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Stephen Borud

Rdnck check this bullet out

Post by Stephen Borud »

http://s559.photobucket.com/user/stephe ... sort=1&o=1

Finished this mold today. What do you think Bill? The nose is similar to my 50 mold, but more like the original Sharps 45-500 bullet.

Stephen
rdnck

Re: Rdnck check this bullet out

Post by rdnck »

That will work, big time. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

I will send it to you for a test drive! Maybe there's a four legged animal you can punch a hole in with it.

Stephen
Denali

Post by Denali »

Sweet looking bullet Stephen.

You are quite the craftsman!
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Thanks Denali, I like to build.
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Stephen,

Tell us a little more about the bullets from your new mould in the picture please? Caliber, wt., tapered/parallel sides, etc. How do they shoot on paper? You did a very good job on your mould. I hope you are considering a start-up business even if is a side-line.

Regards
"So many liberals, and so little time to teach them how to balance a checkbook." (Unknown)
pete

Post by pete »

Stephen;
Your machine work is impressive but your attention to detail is ..........well ............lacking. You forgot the lube grooves. :roll: :)
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

pete wrote:Stephen;
Your machine work is impressive but your attention to detail is ..........well ............lacking. You forgot the lube grooves. :roll: :)

Pete I'm not lacking in the detail department, I just don't like grease groove bullets. :lol:

Stephen
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

ironramrod wrote:Stephen,

Tell us a little more about the bullets from your new mould in the picture please? Caliber, wt., tapered/parallel sides, etc. How do they shoot on paper? You did a very good job on your mould. I hope you are considering a start-up business even if is a side-line.

Regards
Iron,

I haven't shot the bullet! I finished the mold yesterday and casted 15 or so bullets. I threw the first five back in the pot and weighed the last 10. They were all within a half a grain in weight and OD run out was at .0005 out of round. I made this mold special for Rdnck. It's a straight sided bullet weighing 492.8-493.3, it's right at 1.285 long, flat base and a meplate of .250. and an OD of .436 to .4365. It should be a meat maker.

Thanks
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

I have to thank Dave Roelle for the material he sent me to make this mold. It machined like butter.

Stephen
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Hi Stephan:

Glad the blanks worked out for ya-------------pretty bullet there Sir----looking forward to the rdnck range report

Keep well and stay safe

Dave
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

DAVE ROELLE wrote:Hi Stephan:

Glad the blanks worked out for ya-------------pretty bullet there Sir----looking forward to the rdnck range report

Keep well and stay safe

Dave
Thanks again Dave. What was the material you gave me called?

Thanks
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Hi Stephen:

Its a simple cast iron, fine grained as you recieve it----the blanks i sent you were "normalized" at around 1000 degrees---this refines the grain structure and homogonizes the iron. You experienced the results in the ease and therefore accuracy of machining.

I personally don't believe that there is a "special" mold material that works better than others, Cast iron is a bit delicate around the sharp edges so be gentle with the parting lines and it should outlast us.

If a guy wanted to make the ultimate mold he would use M-42 tool steel at around 60 Rc and sink the cavity with an EDM machine, commercial cost would be around $1000.00-----------cast iron, brass, aluminum bronze and machined cavities are all more realistic for us.

If i remember correctly i bought that piece for a job here , source was eithe McMaster-Carr or MSC.

Kepp well and stay safe

Dave
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

DAVE ROELLE wrote:Hi Stephen:

Its a simple cast iron, fine grained as you recieve it----the blanks i sent you were "normalized" at around 1000 degrees---this refines the grain structure and homogonizes the iron. You experienced the results in the ease and therefore accuracy of machining.

I personally don't believe that there is a "special" mold material that works better than others, Cast iron is a bit delicate around the sharp edges so be gentle with the parting lines and it should outlast us.

If a guy wanted to make the ultimate mold he would use M-42 tool steel at around 60 Rc and sink the cavity with an EDM machine, commercial cost would be around $1000.00-----------cast iron, brass, aluminum bronze and machined cavities are all more realistic for us.

If i remember correctly i bought that piece for a job here , source was eithe McMaster-Carr or MSC.

Kepp well and stay safe

Dave
Thanks again Dave. I need to pick up some more of that material and get to building another mold.

Stephen
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Your most welcome Stephen----------------proud to have been helpful

Keep the faith

Dave