Spring time pig in Texas

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

DAVE ROELLE

Spring time pig in Texas

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

I took some time for a little hunting r&r, the Shiloh Sharps got the job done again------one shot one pig DRT. Shooting from a steady rest against a handy tree the slug literally seemed to knock her to the dirt, didn't even twich---------the slug is probably stuck in a mesquite tree.

I had scouted some fresh rooting at the edge of a pasture, set up there about an hour before dark, ranged the spot---set the sights and waited. Dark was about 30 minutes away when 4 mature pigs and a bunch of little pigs eased out of cover and moved into the pasture, touched off the round and ducked under the smoke to see the pig just flattened----what fun.

She's in the freezer ready for a BBQ in about 2 weeks

Same basic load with a tad bit more powder, just cause it would fit---45,2.1---500 grain BACO Creedmore Patched to 0.448/0.449 O.D.--milk carton wad --lube cookey---milk carton wad under the bullet.

Dave

Keep well and stay safe

Dave
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
58limited

Re: Spring time pig in Texas

Post by 58limited »

Mmmm...Pulled pork!
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Good Job Dave.

Stephen
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Thanks Stephen--------always a thrill when a plan comes together !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Might just have to try out the turkeys next weekend,believe i'll use the Model 12 though. They were strutting pretty well this weekend.

Good Hunting

Dave
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

I've always wanted to shoot the head off a turkey with a Sharps. Good luck to ya Dave

Stephen
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

WOW, Stephen-----------------that would be a challenge for sure-------------i don't think my rifle skills are quite that good :wink: .

I do enjoy hunting them, and as an old aquantenance and a REAL turkey hunter, Ben Rogers Lee, used to say "call em up crawl up on em or bushwhack em"

Good hunting

Dave
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Good show on the pig, Dave. The Sharps and paper patch will put the everlasting hurt on them. The last turkey I killed was with a 45-70 and a 457125 Govt. bullet. Shot him broadside at the base of the wing, and he went straight down. Small hole in, small hole out, as the bird wasn't heavy bodied enough to cause the bullet to expand. If I ever shoot another one, it will be with my paper patched hunting bullet. They work on anything. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Thanks rdnck i appreciate the flowers, i think it would be tough with the target sights, perhaps i need to adjust that thinking, i'll test sight picture/impact point inside 50 yards and see what the real world says !!!!!!

One of these days i gotta get another 74 strictly for target work and dedicate this one to huntin :wink:

perhaps i need to run up for a visit, might just need to think about cutting tool to go with the 74

Keep well and stay safe

Dave
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

Pulled pork? is that what you call it when you drag that pig out of the woods?
ROb
aka "borderdogs"
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Exactly correct Sir !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then ya "pull it off the BBQ" and "pull" it apart-----------------good samiches :D
58limited

Post by 58limited »

borderdogs wrote:Pulled pork? is that what you call it when you drag that pig out of the woods?
ROb
LOL