40/50 BN

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Stephen Borud

Re: 40/50 BN

Post by Stephen Borud »

I'm sure impressed with this little round JB. I'm gonna have Kaleb tote it around this fall to build some muscles. Hahaha

Stephen
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Excellent Stephen---------------my grandson Caleb is doing well with his 22-----in the next couple of years i'll be getting him a real riflegun :wink:

keep on havin fun

Dave
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Can't wait to see the pictures of you and your grandson with a Sharps rifle gun.

Thanks
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Next time we head for the ranch i'll post a few---------------he sure likes crawling through the brush----we play sneak up on the deer---------------last time we got to about 75 yards before we got caught.

ttyl Stephen
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Sweetness.
bobw

Post by bobw »

From the grin on the better halfs face you better cast a bunch. Your boy looks like he figured it out too. I think what you've done is about the classiest way I ever saw a guy get his whole family into his main hobby. Congrats to you Stephen. 5-6 years down the line you'll be sitting at the dinner table eating venison and one of the boys will say "it sure is good mom" and another will say "that's cause I shot it" and fight will be on . You've got some even prouder moments a head of you :) You had best start planning an intermediate gun too, like 40-70 SBN etc. :lol: Keep up the reports sure enjoy them a lot, what change from the shouting matches half the time you read on Shooter to Shooter. bobw
bobw
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Thanks Bob,

I'm way ahead of you. I have a 50-70 on order already for the next phase of meat making :D If they want anything else they better get a job hahahaha

Stephen
bobw

Post by bobw »

I like your ideas, so it's allways good to hear them. Spill the info on the order details. :) bobw
bobw
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Stephen,
Can I ask why you picked the bottle neck over the straight 40-50? I'm really wondering what's the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other, if any?
Sarge
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

sarge ,
I am not stephen ,but one of the primary things I looked for was consistent brass , and the straight is cut down krag brass and it is reformed and inconsistent , some may disagree but it is what I found, and the bottleneck has a little more steam , looks better and is more right looking...and Orville has the proper reamer,
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

sarge ,
I am not stephen ,but one of the primary things I looked for was consistent brass , and the straight is cut down krag brass and it is reformed and inconsistent , some may disagree but it is what I found, and the bottleneck has a little more steam , looks better and is more right looking...and Orville has the proper reamer,
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

bobw wrote:I like your ideas, so it's allways good to hear them. Spill the info on the order details. :) bobw
Bob it's a Hartford 50 1 3/4 with a Orville chamber, standard weight barrel 30" long, pac hardening, polished blued barrel, military butt plate, semi fancy wood. It will be a great meat maker. I shot Orville's last fall at a 10" rock off hand at 239 yards, first shot, smack.

Stephen
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Sarge wrote:Stephen,
Can I ask why you picked the bottle neck over the straight 40-50? I'm really wondering what's the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other, if any?
Sarge
Sarge, I bought two originals, one straight case and the other BN, sent them to Orville to design a reamer. After talking with Orville we could use 45-70 brass and a RCBS .403 die set. Neither one of us really to a hard look at the straight case other then to look at the bullet design of the straight case in which I duplicated my current mold from. I can tell you it's one of the easiest rounds to load and shoot. It's gonna get a hard workout this weekend out to 700 yards. I will post my findings. What I am looking for is repeatable accuracy shooting dirty in hot weather for long strings of shots. Put the rifle down, puff on a cigar and fire it up again without cleaning. I can do this with my 50 2 1/2 and believe the little 40 will follow suit.

Thanks Stephen
bobw

Post by bobw »

Stephen Borud wrote:
bobw wrote:I like your ideas, so it's allways good to hear them. Spill the info on the order details. :) bobw
Bob it's a Hartford 50 1 3/4 with a Orville chamber, standard weight barrel 30" long, pac hardening, polished blued barrel, military butt plate, semi fancy wood. It will be a great meat maker. I shot Orville's last fall at a 10" rock off hand at 239 yards, first shot, smack.

Stephen
Sounds like another winner from your fertile imagination. Sub in a checkered steel shotgun butt, fire blued screws and a heavy half oct/rd in 40-90SBN tight chamber and it would work for me :) bobw
bobw
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

bobw wrote:
Stephen Borud wrote:

Stephen
Sounds like another winner from your fertile imagination. Sub in a checkered steel shotgun butt, fire blued screws and a heavy half oct/rd in 40-90SBN tight chamber and it would work for me :) bobw
Let me know how that gun turns out and I might get me one Bob. :D