40/50 BN

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bobw

Re: 40/50 BN

Post by bobw »

Yup Dean, they are awkward but well worth it. Got a couple hundred loaded for the 1000 guess I am ready other than packing. bobw
bobw
taylorz1

Post by taylorz1 »

Good looking son, rifle, bullets and rounds. I really like the 40-50sbn. If anyone is interested I can take some close ups of the original loaded rounds I have. They look like a swaged round nose bullet. I am looking to see if I can find a single loaded round in poor condition that I wouldn't feel bad about pulling. I have access to x-ray equipment too and may just take a shot of one for measurement purposes. When I get around to it I can get chamber casts off of a couple original remington rolling blocks in 40-50 and an original 74 sharps in 40-50 but it will take me a while as the guns live far from me these days. I have cast an original remington 44-77, 40-70 and 40-50sbn and the chambers all look like scaled models of each other with the same looking shoulder, lead taper etc. Look forward to the glory shots I am sure will come when hunting season comes around Stephen. Best,

Zack
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

powderburner wrote:bob , use a 3/4 in patch , and wrap a thousand of them then they wont feel so foreign to your fingers , your big bullets will feel like laying a sheet on a culvert after a bunch of the 40s .

That's funny!

Hahahaha
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Bob,

Kaleb will start his paper patch career this year and be able to hunt big game next year with the 40/50. I am going to have him carry the 40 this fall while were walking the prairie for antelope. Hopefully we will see a rabbit he can make meat on.

Thanks
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

taylorz1 wrote:Good looking son, rifle, bullets and rounds. I really like the 40-50sbn. If anyone is interested I can take some close ups of the original loaded rounds I have. They look like a swaged round nose bullet. I am looking to see if I can find a single loaded round in poor condition that I wouldn't feel bad about pulling. I have access to x-ray equipment too and may just take a shot of one for measurement purposes. When I get around to it I can get chamber casts off of a couple original remington rolling blocks in 40-50 and an original 74 sharps in 40-50 but it will take me a while as the guns live far from me these days. I have cast an original remington 44-77, 40-70 and 40-50sbn and the chambers all look like scaled models of each other with the same looking shoulder, lead taper etc. Look forward to the glory shots I am sure will come when hunting season comes around Stephen. Best,

Zack
Taylor I have a couple originals but would love to see yours. X ray round would be awesome to see. Any pictures or dimensions would be great info for all of us.

Thanks
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Stephen Borud wrote:Bob,

Kaleb will start his paper patch career this year and be able to hunt big game next year with the 40/50. I am going to have him carry the 40 this fall while were walking the prairie for antelope. Hopefully we will see a rabbit he can make meat on.

Thanks
I started all three of my kids out that way. Two of the three hunted big game for a season or two. None of them have hunted at all since they were teenagers and all are over 30 now.

Stephen it will likely be a challenge to you and your wife to keep them close later but you have a great start so far. Keep being involved with their lives as they develop, we can't imagine what they'll face in the future.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

We sure will Dan. We will keep hunting and fishing, eating our wild meat and hopefully they will put meat in the freezer for us someday.

Stephen
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

I will have 49 rounds loaded tomorrow morning for a bit of shooting with my family.

Stephen
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Now that looks like a good time waiting for a place to happen :wink:

I'll be working on some 45-70's in trimmed 45-110 cases tomorrow------also have another PP mold on the way----a 448 BACO money bullet a friend wanted to part with, Hopefully i can get things to tighten up a bit.

Ya'll have a great shoot Sir

Dave
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Now that looks like a lot of fun right there ! :)
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

My lovely tore the steel up. We shot off hand at 50 yards at a friends place this afternoon. Interesting shooting with all our boys. After a couple shots she had it figured out. :mrgreen:

Stephen
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Won't be long she'll need a new target

Dave
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Kaleb smacked the steel on his first shot. The rifles a bit heavy for him but he will grow into it.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

We shot 27 rounds without wiping or blowing down the barrel. It was 92 degrees with lite winds and I'm sure the humidity was under 20%. From shot one to the 27th each round slid in without a hitch. I need to get my wife shooting out to 150 yards with it so she is ready for deer season this fall. I will post a picture of a bullet I shot into a sand bank. It mushroomed very well and retained it's base. The paper I found from the patch was cut in long pieces. It shoots as well as any Sharps I own, I'm very impressed with this little round.

Stephen
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Looking good Stephen... ..Trouble is now you've got me thinking " light 40/50 bn for field work.. mmm ? " ... very tempting ... He'll grow into that rifle in no time ...and have a lot of fun on the way. :)
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "