40/50 BN

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Stephen Borud

40/50 BN

Post by Stephen Borud »

I took my oldest boy with me today to Big Timber to pick up our newest rifle, a 40/50 BN with a 18 twist barrel. I had the great people at Shiloh build this rifle for my wife and four boys. My oldest Kaleb will be able to hunt next year so I think my wife and I need to break this baby in this fall. I need to get busy and build a bullet mold. My plan is to duplicate the factory load. 265 grain pp bullet, 45-50 grains of Fg powder etc. I can't wait to have my family put some meat in the freezer with this rifle. It was nice to talk with Lucinda and Phyllis and we even got a free lunch from my Uncle Ed and Dad, it was well worth the 10 hours of driving ;)

Stephen
Marathonman

Re: 40/50 BN

Post by Marathonman »

As rdnck would say, "That will work!"

Congratulations!
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Not only a neat rifle, the boy will remember that trip with his dad for the rest of his life. Good job, Stephen. That WILL work. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Denali

Post by Denali »

Stephen,

You sure do things right!

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

My boy is 3. He pops balloons with my help and the pellet gun. Hopefully he will be interested in hunting and shooting. One step at a time. Now fishing he is already good at. Caught his first trout on a flyrod last month. Caught a bunch of bluegill and perch and we cooked them up and ate them together last weekend. Couldn't have been a better Father's Day present.

Hope that 40-50 is a shooter!

Take care

Mike
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Thanks Guys.

Mike your definitely on the right track with your boy. We have four boys so this rifle will get plenty of use.

Bill I will let you know how the bullet performs on deer and antelope.

Thanks Dan, this is a classic little round. If I remember their was a bear Hunter in the 1800s that shot over a hundred bears with a 40-50 Sharps. He said it worked flawlessly.

Stephen
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

You're right Stephen. My first original Sharps sporting rifle had a heavy barrel in 40/50 BN. That rifle was found well used in a mountain cabin many years ago.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Hey Stephen:

Good looking your man there Sir-------not a bad lookin riflegun either :wink:

i remember hunting with my dad when i couldn't even lift his Remington Speedmaster 22 squirrel rifle !!!!!!

Heading for the ranch soon with my grandson to get a new blind built for this fall------we'll see about a pig while we're there----he is "amped up" for sure.

Best of luck with the mold work

Dave
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

I had to build a 40 calibre pilot for my trimmer but did get a case sized and trimmed. I took a picture of the 40/50 case next to my favorite meat maker round..... The 50 2 1/2".
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Thanks Dave, good luck with your blind, hope you punch a hole in a pig.

Stephen
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Thats one "cute" little ca'tridge Stephen--------seems "kid appropriate" for sure !!!!

We always have fun at the ranch, this trip the work takes precidence over the pig chasin----well mmmmmmm at least to start with.

Look forward to seing the mold and bullet

Dave
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Thats one "cute" little ca'tridge Stephen--------seems "kid appropriate" for sure !!!!

We always have fun at the ranch, this trip the work takes precidence over the pig chasin----well mmmmmmm at least to start with.

Look forward to seing the mold and bullet

Dave
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Stephen ,what brand of brass are you making cases from , I made brass from both win and Remington, neither needs much more than reloading after the initial annealing wears off ,
the ctg just shoots ,and it holds its own to 800 yds at least , yours is a hunting rifle I know but I wanted to see just what the ctg will do .
I started with 50 gns of swiss 1.5 and switched to OE 1.5 and volume for volume it is 5 gns lighter and one minute lower at 200 ,
there is zero recoil ,and it just puts one right on top of another all day long.One of the least fussy rounds I have shot. the chamber makes the difference as you know , never moved past that load ,cause it works, if you need ,I can send you some brass ,
I seem to have made a lot of it last winter for some odd reason,

Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Thanks Dean I have a pile of Winchester brass I've been buying up for the past couple years so I'm good on that. I'm curious the reason why you went with the 1.5 powder instead of the Fg? Does it burn cleaner? I should have my double cavity mold finished tomorrow. Then will start reloading.

Stephen
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Thanks Dave. Can't wait to shoot this little round.

Stephen
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Stephen, I was short on 1F and had a little Swiss 1.5 that needed using up so I started with it, OE came along so I tried it and it did burn really clean ,and works very well ,I have shot it without a blow tube or anything. And it just worked
The capacity is so small ,I felt that Swiss may have been viable.and affordable .OE was cleaner, kik actually fouled in the throat.first I ever saw that. 1f probably will be as good or better than the OE 1.5.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T