40/50 BN

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

J.B.

Re: 40/50 BN

Post by J.B. »

Sure look purdy. Bet they shoot as good as they look. :)
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Those Cat'ridges look wicked for sure, show quality stuff !!!!!!-------------if they shoot as good as they look you should have some 100 yard cloverleafs :wink:

Dave
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

I loaded a total of 9 rounds.

The first three shots. The two next to each other and high, I shot threw a chronograph, 1st 1130, 2nd 1125. I moved the chronograph for the third shot in the black, (50 yards off hand.) I was shooting threw a piece of 1/2" lexan so I could recover my bullets.
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Thats super Stephen--------------that riflegun is going to be a blast, specially for the kids to shoot !!!!!

Looking forward to seeing some longer range work, i would imagine a 100 yard sight setting might be about right for a hunting rifle---------------------it would be fun to do some terminal ballistics work and see how the bullets are going to perform at range.

Have fun with it Sir

Dave
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Recovered bullet. Pure lead weighing 282 grains.
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Hi Stephen:

The alloy is certainly correct and the "dirt test" passed------------------------------time for some MEAT :wink:

I'm playing around with a sawdust and oil recovery system to do some terminal investigation, and yes i know its not going to be a true representation of hunting performance but i think its will be FUN !!!!!

Off to the ranch for the weekend

Keep well and stay safe

Dave
pete

Post by pete »

Stephen;
The bullets look nice and round but your target drawing circles could use some work I think. I bet you could get that egg shape thing worked out if you try though. :lol: Getting something with a home cast bullet is rewarding, getting something with a bullet from a homemade mould would be way more rewarding. Good luck.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Stephen, you see the nose profile of them factory 40-50 SBN's in taylorz1's post over in black powder shooting? Did you cup base yours and nose pour them? Maybe a guy could get taylorz1 to provide some dimensions and a drawing? bobw
bobw
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

bobw wrote:Stephen, you see the nose profile of them factory 40-50 SBN's in taylorz1's post over in black powder shooting? Did you cup base yours and nose pour them? Maybe a guy could get taylorz1 to provide some dimensions and a drawing? bobw

I have a BN just like his Bob and an original 40/50 straight that matches the picture in the original Sharps catalog. That is the bullet that I duplicated. The mold I built is a double cavity nose pour flat base non adjustable.

Thanks
bobw

Post by bobw »

Stephen ,its been a week ,you got it broken yet? bobw
bobw
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

No not yet, work got in the way. I did get a 100 cases trimmed and sized. Fifty cases with powder and a card. That's where I left it. Maybe next week, this weekend is shot.

Thanks

PS. Bob why did you have to remind me I'm 40/50 poor? Thanks a lot! :lol:
bobw

Post by bobw »

Bad spelling, typing to fast for accuracy. I meant have you got it broken in yet? While saving the dastardly job of casting for yourself, your son holding the gun looks to have talented fingers and appears to me that he needs an advanced study course as well as attendant practice of cutting patches and wrapping them. Kids need to know nothing good is free and it means more to be part of it. I cut some patches for the 40 TGBS adj down to 265 grs and have discovered why shooters 125 years ago turned wussy and went to greasers . No doubt now in my mind that after the buffalo were gone and all those women and girls that patched for Sharps as well as the other ammo companies were layed off, going to work at other pursuits. Affluent shooters couldn't bring themselves to the menial toil of patching their own bullets. Especially so when the trend went to shorter range target shooting with smaller calibers like 38 and 40 cals whose patches can best be described as miniscule. bobw
bobw
Orville

Post by Orville »

Bobw
The girls patching bullets were long gone, by the time major ammunition company's got going, every one had bullet patching machines, Borchardt invented one, I have some of the patent drawing but they are not complete.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

bob , use a 3/4 in patch , and wrap a thousand of them then they wont feel so foreign to your fingers , your big bullets will feel like laying a sheet on a culvert after a bunch of the 40s .
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
bobw

Post by bobw »

Yup Dean, they are awkward but well worth it. Got a couple hundred loaded for the 1000 guess I am ready other than packing. bobw
bobw