First shot from a cold barrel

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

brass monkey

First shot from a cold barrel

Post by brass monkey »

I plan to use my bp rifle this year for hunting but would like to hear from some of you regarding the best way to assure the first shot from a cold barrel will be as accurate as those that follow. I get 1moa accuracy at 100 yards from my 110 using Goex 1f and compression of .277 providing I use a patch of Bore Butter down the barrel for the first shot and blow tube for additional shots (using greasers). Shots from a clean cold barrel are 4-5" off my usual shot group. Would appreciate hearing your recommendations.

Bob
SchuetzenDave

Re: First shot from a cold barrel

Post by SchuetzenDave »

I coat a patch with Bores Butter and wipe the barrel twice with it when shooting black powder.

This barrel coating of Bores Butter acts like a fouled barrel.

My rifles shoot cold barrels the same as warm fouled barrels.

I do not need to worry about where my next shot is going to track to.
Orville

Post by Orville »

Just shoot pp bullets and forget about any thing else other the run a dry patch through the barrels before shooting after it has been cleaned and oiled.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Orville gives good advice. Both of my hunting 45-70's are loaded with paper patched bullets and equipped with barrel sights. Both rifles will put the first shot at 100 yards EXACTLY where the front sight is and will put 5 under a shot glass at that distance. Load the rifle correctly and shoot it enough to learn how to hold it, and you won't have any problems. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Orville wrote:Just shoot pp bullets and forget about any thing else other the run a dry patch through the barrels before shooting after it has been cleaned and oiled.
+2 Sound advice from Orville and rdnck. After shooting my Shiloh with pp loads I clean and oil it before putting her to sleep in the steel box. Before that 'all critical' 1st shot at the match(s) I run a dry patch down the bore. That's all it takes...

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

I would abandon the Bore Butter. I use Slip 2000 and before firing the 1'st shot I wipe the bore with 1 damp patch using 7/1 distilled water and Napa ws oil followed by 1 dry patch and shoot. 1'st shot is in the group or very close. This works with all of my BPCR's.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Run a patch of Lehigh Valley Lube & Bore Cleaner down the clean bore ...
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categori ... UBE-LEHIGH
Regards
John
BFD

Post by BFD »

If your rifle won't shoot the first shot into the group and your barrel is not heavily lubed, there is something wrong with the barrel (like it wasn't mounted properly). At least that has been my experience. I hunt with a clean, dry bore. First, shot or 4th shot are all the same.
Up In Smoke

Post by Up In Smoke »

Another good method for cold bore shooting is going for close range shots. I've only taken four animals in the 8 years I've had my Shiloh, but all four shots were inside 100 yds.
I took my elk on opening day at about 35 yds and watched as he fell at probably a mere 50 yds (no, it wasn't a canned hunt). Getting close is called hunting. For me, hunting with black powder probably stems from archery hunting where the challenge of getting close can be addictive. However, to be honest, most of my hunting takes place in relatively thick timber or cover where close shots are the norm.
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet."
Admiral William F. “Bull” Halsey
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Amen! Thanks for posting that!

I also think that if you shoot enough, you learn where to aim. I know how high my cold barrel shots go and where to aim. I carry a laser range finder and know the exact distance before I shoot. I hate it when folks start bragging about how many they have killed, but I can tell you I have shot a lot of antelope, deer, elk, and a moose with black powder and my Shiloh. It is the most fun a guy can have hunting, and I really don't want to hunt with anything else.
take care, Cody