First shot from a cold barrel

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

brass monkey

First shot from a cold barrel

Post by brass monkey »

I plan to use my bp rifle this year for hunting but would like to hear from some of you regarding the best way to assure the first shot from a cold barrel will be as accurate as those that follow. I get 1moa accuracy at 100 yards from my 110 using Goex 1f and compression of .277 providing I use a patch of Bore Butter down the barrel for the first shot and blow tube for additional shots (using greasers). Shots from a clean cold barrel are 4-5" off my usual shot group. Would appreciate hearing your recommendations.

Bob
77 sharps

Re: First shot from a cold barrel

Post by 77 sharps »

Bob

What you are asking would fill a book. Read all of the following members posts. This should get you a good start; rdnck, Darryl, and Denali. Their posts should have all of the information you need to get started.

Mike
Denali

Post by Denali »

Bob,

You probably already have it figured out. If you haven't tried it, see if you can chamber two additional rounds in your 110 after the first shot , no blowing down the pipe (for a three shot "hunting" group). I did the same as you, and was pleasantly surprised I could do it (with some resistance on chambering). Olive oil works as Rdnck recommended to me once.

My 110 with my flat point hunting greaser 540gr with this method does about 1.25 to 1.5 MOA for three shots as described shooting fast, no blowing.

Mike
brass monkey

Post by brass monkey »

Denali Bob, I shot 4 rounds in succession yesterday using a flat point Brooks 511 grain bullet with no problem except my shots were spread 4-5 inches. All were shot from a dry barrel followed by NO blowing. The olive oil you talked about: how was it being used? Coating the barrel with a cleaning patch before first shot? Adding olive oil as one of the components to the bullet lube?

Bob
Denali

Post by Denali »

Bob,

Yes I coat the barrel with olive oil from a patch for the first shot. After my three shot group, I clean the bbl, recoat, and shoot three more. That is what I meant to say earlier. I'm not too worried about leaving the oil in the tube for the hunt duration. If bore butter works for you then you are good, as long as the successive 2/3 shots are close to the first.

Hope it will work for you. The olive oil coating is not a very heavy one (not running/dripping).

Mike
brass monkey

Post by brass monkey »

Denali, thanks for the info. I'll grab some olive oil from the wife's kitchen and try that and compare to the Bore butter over the course of a morning and afternoon.

Thanks again, Bob
brass monkey

Post by brass monkey »

Denali, thanks for the info. I'll grab some olive oil from the wife's kitchen and try that and compare to the Bore butter over the course of a morning and afternoon.

Thanks again, Bob