2014 Hunting Season

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bobw

Re: 2014 Hunting Season

Post by bobw »

Tebbeman wrote:Ken,

Yep, great hunting season so far: 1 big male coyote on opening day of deer season (I never pass the option of taking a coyote), shot with a HW in 30-40 Krag. This past weekend harvested a real nice, old 8 pointer with the same rifle. 196 yards facing me, one shot, rolled him over. I think the Krag is an overlooked and wonderful cartridge. MVA B5 scope is a heaven sent blessing too. See you soon.

Kenny T.
If you would supply some more details it would be appreciated, 220 RN or a 180 or less, powder,charge ,velocity? Good to hear of the old Krag put to use. Shiloh will chamber the Krag, I've often thought it would be the perfect painless cartridge for high volume practice shooting for offhand with cast bullets and moderate charges. bobw
bobw
Tebbeman

Post by Tebbeman »

The rifle I used was a single shot but not a Shiloh so I'll not mention it other than to say it was made in 1889 by the big W. The load was something new for me: 150 grn Soft Point, some kind on non-smoking powder as the rifle and ammo are new to me so I haven't completed any load development but will soon.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you...Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul & the other for your Freedom!
bobw

Post by bobw »

Don't think there is much wrong or perverted about that Ken, it's a classic outfit. I've allways wanted a Krag carbine or the rifle that someone sporterized for hunting use. See a few now and then but the barrels are usually really tired on them. Should have bought one of the Browning reproduction 1895's way back when too. A lot of guys in the past stacked up a lot of venison with the 30-40 ,30-30, &32 Win Spec as well as a few other rimmed cartridges just because they weren't chambered in a Sharps doesn't mean a guy can't enjoy hearing about it. I know Shiloh will chamber a 74 in 30-40 and I'd sure like to hear from some guys who have used them and how they worked on game. bobw
bobw
Woody

Post by Woody »

I shoot a original 1899 carbine, as issued, using 220 grain lead RN gas checked. The only time I took it hunting, the hunt lasted about 30 seconds. Took a forkhorn muley in the sage at about 30 yards. I too love the old 30 Army round.

Kenny,

Been pheasant hunting with my brother all week. Limit is two per day. We have limited each day so far. I'm using a 14 gage original Belgian double percussion. First time using a ML shotgun for birds. Lots of fun. Still can't convert my brother to the dark side, but I'll keep trying. Don't want to piss him off though. He has the dog. :wink:

Time to load the truck and get out into the field. Tomorrow is our last day. :(
Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Thanks Woody, does that have the same rear sight as the style on a 03 Springfield has or the other one that is ramped.? bobw
bobw
Woody

Post by Woody »

Mine has the sight that's very similar to the 03 Springfield, except it has a lever release for windage adjustment.

Long day in the field today. I got the last bird with a passing shot like station five high house. I was about sleep walking when it wild flushed. Barely got one hammer cocked and shouldered the gun before it was in afterburner. :D

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.