2014 Hunting Season

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Tebbeman

2014 Hunting Season

Post by Tebbeman »

Come on, Come on...I can hardly stand it anymore!! Purchased my new hunting license and dove season opens in 16 days (pretty hard to hit with a Shiloh). It seems like forever since last hunting season and I can't wait. Good luck to everyone.

Kenny T.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you...Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul & the other for your Freedom!
deerhuntsheatmeup

Re: 2014 Hunting Season

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

You too. Kenny!

I am planning more time in the woods this year, good Lord willing........

Best, Barvid
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
bobw

Post by bobw »

No antelope tag so no bigame in October unless I put in for an Archery tag and I might. Need to be in the woods also. I have a couple of doe tags and a Black Hills any whitetail deer tag for November and a Buffalo hunt in January. That narrow between the eyes English Springer Spanial I rescued needs some bird hunting too,just as bad as I do. No hogs here yet . wish all the best luck. bobw
bobw
deerhuntsheatmeup

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Good luck bobw, and be safe

Best, Barvid
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Yup time to break out the shotty gun and get a few sporting clays or 5 stand rounds in to be tuned up for the birds of peace. Hard to top a South Texas water hole shoot in the evening !!!

The new deer blind is ready to go to the ranch this weekend--------------gonna be a hot sweaty one for sure temps around Goliad near 100-----------get it set and then do some hog scouting

Be safe everyone

Dave
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
Tebbeman

Post by Tebbeman »

First evening of dove hunting, which closely resembled a "sweating to the Oldies" session here in Central Texas. 97 degrees and humid but in the shade of a small hackberry tree it was pleasant with a slight breeze. The birds were flying just enough to keep my interest and when it was slow, turtle heads in the small tank kept me entertained. Thank God hunting season has started again and it's time to get the bacon and peppers ready for the grill!! Good luck to all of you that I know, and to those I haven't had the chance to meet.

KT
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you...Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul & the other for your Freedom!
craigos

Post by craigos »

Picked up a black bear and a whitetail buck with a bow this last week - out for 5 days in eastern wa. Next month is Bison with my Shiloh.
Gunnison

Post by Gunnison »

My daughter and I have either sex elk tags and I've got a buck tag for unit 54 starting 18 Oct. She'll be carrying her 308, and I'll be carrying my 45-120. Really looking forward to hunting with my daughter!! :D
Tebbeman

Post by Tebbeman »

2 more days.....just 2 more days and then the lead and fur can fly. Good luck to everyone with their hunting season.

KT
choken

Post by choken »

Kenny..deer camp next Friday night...Tennessee muzzleloading season opener next Saturday morning. Our trail cams show a lot of game, only time will tell !!! Good luck to you and yourn !!!
Orville

Post by Orville »

Got my antelope, but this was not a fun hunting season, too many out of staters and some locals who thought they could go anywhere and do as they please. My neighbor and I spent a lot of time correcting these people, even the game warden and BLM person said it was unusual. The weather was hot and dry which makes for a lot of dust. Greg tried some stalks on antelope carrying his sharps, as close as I ever got was 350 yards plus and the critter was moving.
We had been playing with a new toy (Best of the west 338 lapua) shooting out to 900 yards plus. So one afternoon I took it with, on the high west end of the ranch we spotted a buck 1000 yards, there wasn't a good place for a good rest so moved up to a water tank which I used for a rest, one shot at 736 yards took out the top of the heart, at the shot Greg saw dust fly saw the antelope turn and run and then heard the whop of the bullet strike, it made it about 50 yards. We took care of mine and went back Greg shot his at 548 yards with the same gun.
It all boils down to know your gun and. What you can do, plus lots of shooting and not on a target range.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

My wife and I saw more goats on the return trip from the buff hunt than we've ever seen before (in WY). And these were just along the interstate. :shock:
choken

Post by choken »

Kenny , I got a eight point buck this morning. Dressed 135# . Didn't see anything except does yesterday ! A successful opening weekend of the TN muzzleloader season !. Hope that you did well !!!

Ken Pointer
Tebbeman

Post by Tebbeman »

Ken,

Yep, great hunting season so far: 1 big male coyote on opening day of deer season (I never pass the option of taking a coyote), shot with a HW in 30-40 Krag. This past weekend harvested a real nice, old 8 pointer with the same rifle. 196 yards facing me, one shot, rolled him over. I think the Krag is an overlooked and wonderful cartridge. MVA B5 scope is a heaven sent blessing too. See you soon.

Kenny T.
CO

Post by CO »

Kenny T, are you shooting BP in that 30 40 Krag? I have one I'm shooting BP in with poor results. Looking for some help. CO