Wyoming Antelope Hunt

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Pappy

Wyoming Antelope Hunt

Post by Pappy »

Well a group of us got drawn for Wyoming antelope hunt. We had good plans on camping but nothing but rain. So we opt for a hotel in Medicine bow Wyoming. We came about one week after opening day. Saw lots of antelope. Well made my way on my first antelope, saw a group of them at 300 yards, no more cover to put a stock on. I saw two bucks and watched them for a while. The second buck disappeared. I heard a strange grunt several times. I looked to my left and their he was approximately 140 yards. I slowly moved the big fifty around and lined the buck horn sights on the goat. I let her fly and the buck just ran off. I missed hitting high. I was unable to get off a second shot. Next headed to a different area. I saw a another small group. Made my way toward them. They made me. So I headed up to a bluff to get a better view of the area. I saw two bucks below me at 177 to 200 yards. The one stood still broad side. I had a good rest and fired. Another missed, not good. Headed down the hill and my friend pick me up. Drove to another area. These antelope did not seem to spooky like the other ones I hunted. I was able to get close enough in range this time for a good shot. There were two bucks, the one of the left saw me and moved out. The one on the right just watch the other buck not knowing what was going on. I had my shooting sticks ready. I estimated the buck to be about 80 to 100 yards. I settled the buckhorn sight on his shoulder. I fired. The buck went down instantly. I was amazed how fast the buck died. He flipped over and did't even move. The 515 grain bullet hit high and hit part of his spine. I am sure the round broke his back. I have taken a lot of game in my life time but I was amazed how clean of a shot this was. No blood just a big hole clean through. This is the third animal I have taken with the big fifty. It is just so exciting hunting with the sharps rifle. Even though the weather was not very nice to us we had a great hunt.

Dan O

Re: Wyoming Antelope Hunt

Post by Dan O »

Congratulations on a fun hunt. I see you went with the barrel sights :) That is a nice buck and sounds like a great fair chase type hunt. Good Job!!!
Dan
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Works for me. Good job, Pappy. Neat rifle and a nice buck. Congratulations.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Works for me. Good job, Pappy. Neat rifle and a nice buck. Congratulations.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
WHO CARES

Post by WHO CARES »

Nice looking buck, thanks for sharing.

ward
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians.