My First post

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Colt

My First post

Post by Colt »

Hey Everyone!
I've been looking over this site for several years, built several rifles in my mind and wanted one so bad. This summer my Dad came across an ad for a used rifle from Shiloh that sounded right up my alley. Pretty much a no frills rifle in 45-70, only fired a couple of boxes so I had to go see it while on holidays this summer. Well I fell in love......long story short, it came home with me in Aug.
I was excited to take it out to the range and try it but whenever I had the time the weather was horrible so it wasn't until our open moose season that I was able to try it out. I set up a little 8 in. circle target that ranged at 96 yrds. and fired 1 shot using a good rest and the bullet hit dead center. I had gotten a few rounds of that Hornady Leverevolution ammo with the gun and it seemed to work fine.
So I headed back to camp to hook up with my partner and plan our afternoon hunt. There was one nice little area with a real small lake on 1 side of the old logging road and a skinny little draw that went uphill to the big timber and I stopped and decide to call for a bit. It was about 10:00 am so I wasn't in a big rush to get back. I cow called for maybe 20 minutes with no response.....not a big surprise, it was Oct.21, the second day of the 6 day open season. I was hunting south of Houston BC near the Morice river.
It was a beautiful morning and warming up a bit so I went back to the truck hoping that the evening would bring some good luck. I started the truck and drove maybe 100 yrds and there popped out a young bull looking like he was heading up to where I'd just been calling from. He seemed unsure of which way to go and gave me enough time to get out and load the rifle. Initially he offered no shot as he walked straight away from me and then began to trot. Finally, at a little over 100 yrds. he turned slightly to his right and was a couple of steps from disappearing. The sight picture looked good and I touched her off. The bull hunched and stood for a few seconds as I reloaded. He wobbled and staggered across the road sideways and fell in the opposite ditch......done. It was my first moose in quite a few years and only the 2nd shot I'd fired from the rifle......I was happier than a pig in you know what.
All the young guys in camp were amazed that the "old guy" had taken a moose with that old rifle with open sights and at the end of it all it was the only moose taken out of 7 of us.
I've wanted one of these rifles since I was a little kid. I shot a heavy barreled BSA Martini 22 as a kid and it was lethal on gophers. I love the action and this Shiloh rifle, it feels like home in my hands. Eventually I'd like to delve into the black powder realms but for now am just tickled at how beautiful this gun shoots and feels. Thanks Shiloh !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rdnck

Re: My First post

Post by rdnck »

That is a great story. Congratulations on finding the rifle AND the moose. You have a lot more good times in front of you. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Klaus

Re: My First post

Post by Klaus »

Hi Colt,

congrats and thx for sharing your experience

let me guess you are the only hunter with a Sharps and open Sights :D

That`s the way