Hunting 2015

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Denali

Re: Hunting 2015

Post by Denali »

Thanks for the valuable advice Marathonman.

I will be sure to have a good camera with me on this adventure and I'll make sure it gets used properly!

mike
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Bought a couple leftover Wyoming antelope doe tags.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Denali

Post by Denali »

Marathonman,

Glad to hear you picked up some goat tags.
Took off my tang, installed an 1874 quarter for my front sight and began filing and wind age adjustment today at the range with the 44-77 and a Lawrence bbl sight. Accidentally filed my penny front too far. replaced it with a quarter. Left a little elevation for fine tune filing when things cool off later.

Got tired of my tang getting in the way and constantly flipping it up and down to use the bbl sights. Much happier now. At least I got my load now with the Jameson brass and my new bullet design.

Can't stop thinking about moose hunting.

30:1 shoots well. Going to try 40:1. Not sure which alloy would be best for the moose. 415 gr bullet.

Any words of advice?

Mike
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Mike,

I suspect you'll be pushing that 415 gr. bullet at 1300 fps or so.

My experience with.45-70 at that speed is with a 520 gr. with a 5/16" flat nose. I got very good expansion with 1:20 (7/8" or so, with almost no weight loss). I suspect you will too, if your bullet has a flat nose. If a round nose, the softer alloy might help get more expansion, but I think the flat nose is better as it transfers more energy and begins expansion more easily.

Clarence
Denali

Post by Denali »

Thank for the info Clarence.

My bullet has a 0.2" flat tip.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

well, hunting season hasn't started so....

Last nights dinner
Gunnison

Post by Gunnison »

Up date on my deer hunting. The one day I opted to take a different rifle is the day I got my buck. Only buck I saw. Kinda bummed. Wasn't a very far shot. About 50 yds. At least I've got something to eat on this winter. Might find a coyote or something yet. We'll see. Good luck to those still out there.
Denali

Post by Denali »

Congratulations on the buck Gunnison.

I ended up in the same boat as you. Went moose hunting with bow the last few days of bow season just to scout but was planning to use the 44-77 on the rifle opener. I couldn't pass up on a clean stationary quartering away shot that came my way so I shot the moose with the bow and it fell over in the water in under 10 seconds.
It took my brother and I two hours to get it out of the swamp to dry ground which made my experience "more interesting"

Delicious is all I can say. Hoping to bag my WA bighorn ewe with the sharps on Wednesday. I tried one day last week setting up near a spring and a group of sheep came to drink but spooked just before I had one picked out.

rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Denali--Stay at 20-1 or 30-1. You will get the bullet performance you are looking for. You need complete pass through penetration to collapse the lungs, and a 40-1 bullet is just too soft for reliable DEEP penetration.

Last February I watched a friend shoot a 3 year old buffalo bull square in the chest at 100 yards with his Shiloh 45-70 Business Rifle. His 509 grain Govt. bullet at 30-1 driven by 70 grains of 3f KIK shot all the way through the bull lengthwise and lodged in the animal's pelvis. 72 1/2 inches of measured straight line penetration. The bull turned and walked ten yards and fell over dead. On big animals penetration is king, and you don't get that with soft bullets. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
wyoduster

Post by wyoduster »

Denali wrote:Congratulations Gunnison and Bobw!

Best of luck with your hunts this year!

This fall I will hit the half-century mark and for the first time in my life I struck gold and got a WY moose tag!
I started 15 years ago on that effort.

I drew up a new PP bullet for my 44-77 and had the mold made. Now to do some range work.
My Fox longbow will accompany me for the first 3 days hunting during the archery season then the Sharps takes it from there. Been tryin to shoot too many arrows an pulled a muscle in my back. Letting it heal right now. Hopefully I will shoot my rifle to test the new bullet in a couple days.
I had one of those after 15 yrs too. Got my bull on the back side of Union Pass, They are big .. Of all the Elk and deer If got this was the only animal that didn't get "ground shrinkage"..
CONGRATS!!
BFD

Post by BFD »

I got my moose this year too. I used a Ballard however. A bow-killed moose is pretty much over the top on my list. That's a hell of an accomplishment!

My bull was about three steps from landing in deep mud when he went down. I was more than a little worried because there was no way in hell we were going to pull him out in the middle of the Yukon delta. But we were lucky and "only" had to spend 8 hrs packing him out 1 piece at a time.

Congratulations on some mighty fine eating.

Brent
Denali

Post by Denali »

Wow! 72" penetration with 30:1!

Thanks Rdnck for the advice!

Congratulations on the moose Brent! With a Ballard is very impressive.
Personally I would have rather shot the moose with my 44-77 as it is more interesting. Lots of moose get shot with a bow but very few with a bpcr.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Oh, I think they are harder to take with a bow, but then I've only killed one. The shooting was the easy part, of course.

Denali

Post by Denali »

Great photo! Lots of work for sure!
pete

Post by pete »

Congratulations Brent and Denali on the mooses. Bow or Ballard both are very cool and a long way from a modern scoped rifle