Another Manitoba black bear

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

supersubes

Another Manitoba black bear

Post by supersubes »

Still up here in Manitoba, and I'll add more details later. Tons of bears, despite weather extremes from rain to 80 plus degrees.

Squared 6'3", and 240 lbs. Has a very unique coat, dont let the buts deceive you. Dropped it like a stone.

My uncles bear. Squared 7', and 325 lbs.

Stephen Borud

Re: Another Manitoba black bear

Post by Stephen Borud »

Congratulations!
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Congratulations on another nice bear. Looks like the paper patched ammo is working out for you. The only way to fly! Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Denali

Post by Denali »

Awesome job! Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to hearing the details.
supersubes

Post by supersubes »

Thanks guys!

In my first post i meant to say "dont let the burs deceive you". The bear has a bunch of burdock(sp?) burs in the coat, and is also covered in molasses from the bait barrel. Makes it look mangy in the photo. Our guides said they've never seen another quite like this one. The undercoat is white, and as you can see in the pick, golden on top. The legs have a blue/gray tone to them. Should make a nice rug.

The load uses a 520gr PP bullet from a BA mold, patched to .4475. I use norma 45 basic brass cut to chamber length. 72 gr of swiss 1.5 compressed .160", a .030 walters wad, and a .22" SPG cookie. The bullet finger seats firmly, and is directly in top of the lube cookie. I messed with a bunch of compression/seating depth combos, and couldnt get it to do anything bad. The load easily chambers in a fouled bore, and the cold bore goes into the group. The chamber is standard Shiloh and velocity is 1165 fps. For the future ill be swapping to a bullet of similar size, but with a flat meplat. I'll also use much less lube, and a thin wad under the bullet to keep the cookie from contaminating the patch.

Sitting in the airport now, i'll post some hunt details and videos later.
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

Very nice bear, well done!
bobw

Post by bobw »

good job ss and a nice unusual colored bear. Tell us what you did to your brass to give you the neck tension you needed? I believe you asked advice on that a while back and would like to know how you resolved it. bobw
bobw
Red River Rick

Post by Red River Rick »

So, how close are you to Riding Mountain National Park, when your hunting (mile wise)?

Your hunting in my neighbourhood..................I'm from Rossburn and have hunted there my whole life, I own some land there. Actually, my great grandparents homesteaded up there in 1898.

I can see why you enjoy yourself up here, It's got to be one of best places to hunt in Manitoba.

I'm heading out there in the next week or so for elk or moose. I have a archery Elk/Moose tag, so I kinda itching to get out.

RRR
"I make the part.................that make's the parts!"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds?
Check here: http://kal.castpics.net/