buffalo hunt suggestions

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rich Siegel

buffalo hunt suggestions

Post by Rich Siegel »

Two of my friends and I are interested in doing a buffalo hunt the fall/winter of 2016. Any outfitters you would recommend. We are meat hunters, not interested in trophies but would like a real western hunting experience. We are from Maine and not experienced in western hunts.

Using Shiloh rifles of course!

Thanks,

Rich
Michael Johnson

Re: buffalo hunt suggestions

Post by Michael Johnson »

Rich, myself and three of my friends have done a couple of Bison hunts at the Rockin 7 Ranch in Shawnee, WY. They were a lot of fun. We last did this about five years ago and now they are quite a bit more expensive. I have heard that the Hawes Ranch in Kansas does a very traditional hunt. On our adventure we used BPCR rifles and shot Bison from 50 - 250 yards. It was a very large property that had been in their family since the 1880's.It took most of the day to even find the herd Definitely not a pasture shoot! The accommodations were great as well. It took half a day to even find the herd on the property. Lots of options out there. Since you are coming from Maine, one of the major ones will be the transportation of meat. We did our hunts in December and brought the quarters home in 3/4 ton pickups. Best wishes!
Rich Siegel

Re: buffalo hunt suggestions

Post by Rich Siegel »

Mike,
Thanks for your info. From what I can see on the internet, the Hawes Ranch no longer does buffalo hunts. Too bad. I'll check on the Rocking 7 ranch.
Rich