Haven't hunted in ages, but...

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Free_Stater

Haven't hunted in ages, but...

Post by Free_Stater »

I have an opportunity to go feral hog hunting down on the Tallahala Creek in Jones County, MS, and I've accepted the offer. There's no season, no bag limit, and because of the population explosion, folks are pretty open to allowing hunting, even encouraging the activity. Shooting the hogs is doing the landowner a favor, in fact.

I had thought initially that I'd do the hunt with my most recent obsession, a 1911 Colt Combat Elite converted to .460 Rowland, which sends a 200-grain flat nose, hard cast bullet out of the muzzle at 1,300+ fps or a 230 JHP at up to 1,400 fps. It's accurate, very controllable, and it shoots seven times, which is a plus. My buddy who invited me, however, thinks I should carry a long gun as well, if for no other reason than the chance to hunt with my 50-70 Saddle Rifle, which he covets highly. So yesterday I primed a bunch of Dixie Gun Works brass and loaded 72 grains of KIK 1.5F powder with a 450-grain military style bullet from a nice old Rapine double cavity mould.

So the big question is (and I hope it becomes relevant), will I get tired of recipes which use sausage? I don't have to ask about whether the rifle will do its job, and I'm a good enough shot with it to know that if I do my job, the pig won't know what hit him.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
DAVE ROELLE

Re: Haven't hunted in ages, but...

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

We do several different styles of sausage with our wild hogs

italian, cajun, chorizo, polish smoked and unsmoked, heavy garlic polish, breakfast either with or without heat-----sooooooooooooo----------we don't "get tired" of sausage recipes

If you end up with a nice tasty sow, consider making fresh ham, its always a hit here and putting it on a slow smoker is just wunnerful :)

Dave
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

Well, back to the technical. This next step is going to be fun, when I go out tomorrow and do a side to side comparison of the 72 grain 1.5F load and the regular 70 grain 2F load. I removed the sporting tang sight and re-installed the Lawrence, but I left the MVA globe sight on front, using a heavy post insert instead of replacing the silver blade. When I checked for zero on Sunday, the 1.5 load was hitting 2.5" high and 1.75" to the right at 50 yards. I've adjusted the Lawrence for a bit of windage and will check again this weekend.

drcook

Post by drcook »

Get a small one and cook it in a pit. I had a friend whose wife was a Filipino. They know how to do a hog roast. It was very very good.

So, have a hog roast and invite your friends.

You will be the hero.
We thought about it for a long time Endeavor to persevere. And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet
BFD

Post by BFD »

drcook wrote:Get a small one and cook it in a pit. I had a friend whose wife was a Filipino. They know how to do a hog roast. It was very very good.

So, have a hog roast and invite your friends.

You will be the hero.
Truer words never written. Nothing like a hog roast. A Filipino hog roast would be unbelievable, but ANY hog roast is great. Used to do one every year.
Call Turner

Post by Call Turner »

Just curious, behind dogs or out of a blind?
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

I haven't heard the plan, but I'm betting it's going to be out of a blind over bait.
df

Post by df »

I had a chance to hunt hogs in central Oklahoma last January. I rook my Shiloh #1 in 50-70.
The first afternoon I was sitting on a stool next to a tree and spotted a 200 pound or so hog coming in my direction. If it stayed its course, it would pass by at 25 yards, broadside. Well it changed course and soon was walking directly at me. I was sitting with shooting sticks supporting my rifle, at about 25 yards, I touched off a 425 grain slug that hit the hog just above the right ear and traveled back into the body.
I don't think it heard the shot. That was the only shot opportunity that I had in two days hunting.
supersubes

Post by supersubes »

I tend to grind the entire animal into sausage. No, i never get tired of it. I'm a huge fan of Linguica, like cajun in spicyness. Spicy cajun is the other ine i do regularly. My friends and family beat my door down for more after they try it. I did have a few loin cuts out of the last one. Very good meat, but the fat is not very good. Nothing like domestic pork fat. That could be a local diet thing here.

If you're not doing your own processing, the professional processor typically does sausage in 25 lb batches(at least around here). They can also add domestic pork or beef fat to the sausage upon request, which will make it rich and moist. Sausage is also much more expensive than cuts.