Gopher hunting with a Sharps

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rwnblack

Re: Gopher hunting with a Sharps

Post by rwnblack »

Here are some more pics of the project. The barrel is an old 22 turned down, i epoxied both ends tonight. Hopefully tommorow I can chamber it and turn down the delron spacer. Then all that is left is making an extractor and casehardening the block. The barrel is only 16" long so may not have the velocity for 200 yard competition, we will see. If not bits and pieces is getting some liners and i will buy a few for this and other projects.

rwnblack

Post by rwnblack »

I finished the casehardening and it looks pretty good. It should be obvious why this is done outside with lots of safety gear on. The flash only lasts a second but it is a good one.

rwnblack

Post by rwnblack »

I made the extractors this afternoon. The slip in barrel is chamered and the firing pin lands exactly where I wanted it to. I TIG welded the side piece on, now I have to fit the extractor and make a trip to the range,

rwnblack

Post by rwnblack »

I tried the first liner out yesterday as the sun was rising and it was nice and calm, snowing and about -13 C. It shot okay but I am looking for better. I bought an Anschutz barrel off of a model 121 Cil that looks like new and turned it down yesterday. I decided to pull it from the muzzle based on a friends suggestion. Here is the liner. I have since countersunk the brass nut and have installed it in the Sharps. It is ready to go to the range for a try.

buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Used to shoot prairie dogs with .22 Hornet in Northern Arizona. Lots of them there. Until I took my wife hunting. She could not believe I was killing those cute little furry animals. End of my "gofer" hunting days.
rwnblack

Post by rwnblack »

On the farm gophers - ground squirrels actually, are a plague. My father provides 22 shells to anyone willing to help him thin them out my son loves it. My daughter only went once but decided they were too cute as well.
rwnblack

Post by rwnblack »

I used my Shiloh for the first time today in our 22 BPCR shoot and it performed perfectly. This thing is definitely a keeper and then some. To be fair this is a two day shoot and the first day is shorter range as a sort of practice run. The chickens and pigs were shot offhand at 25 and 50 yards and the turkeys and Rams are shot at 75 and 100 yards off sticks. I shot a total of 38/40, 9 chickens, 9 pigs, 10 each of the other 2. Tommorow we shoot out to 200 yards so I am really keen to see how it performs.
rwnblack

Post by rwnblack »

Shot the Shiloh 22 out to 200 yards this morning. I had to leave early for a flight so had to rush through a bit. The rifle worked perfectly but I didn't. I only hit 4 chickens, did a great job of wobbling. I knocked down 9 pigs but hit 10. The one I hit at the bottom of the belly and it stayed put. I knocked over 7 turkeys but only 5 rams. Still a great day for sure.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Post by D. Taylor Sapergia »

Quite remarkable!
Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson »

Incredible. Thanks for sharing.
Shiloh 1863 .54 MR
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »