First buffalo

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jim VanMiddlesworth

First buffalo

Post by Jim VanMiddlesworth »

On Sunday December 10, 2017 my friend, R.J. Cudworth and I arrived at the Comstock Premier Lodge in Sargent, Nebraska, to hunt, or should I say, shoot, buffalo. It's not a barn lot shoot but it definitely isn't hunting.

On Monday the 11th we went out to get out animals. Since I put the whole thing together R.J. let me go first. The day before, the weather was calm, in the 50's, sunny and very pleasant. But on the day we shot it was overcast, in the low 40's and the wind chill was about 32 degrees. The wind was very strong and had I been wearing the cowboy hat I took it would have wound up in the next county in short order.

The animals are not tame but they don't run when they see you, either. I doubt you could walk up and pet them, save for a couple that seem to have had past human contact. As a result, getting close for a shot is not difficult. The difficulty is trying to get a clear shot because the animals are constantly milling around one another. Just when you think you have a shot, your animal will move behind another or vise-a-versa. My shot was on cross sticks from only 30 yards as measured by R.J.'s laser range finder. However, with the strong wind and the animals constantly moving it wasn't like shooting at a pumpkin.

I used a C.Sharps Arms Sporting Rifle in 50-70, with a Lee 450 grain bullet I cast over 70 grains of Swiss 1.5. I shot a 3 year old bull about 2" in front of the right ear and 2" below the right horn. It dropped like a rock, kicked its hind feet once and was down for the count. Mitch, the Comstock owner, wants head shots when possible due to some animals in the past not going down or staying down and coming after the "hunters".

R.J. got his animal, a 3 year old bull, later in the day. His shot was from 60 yards from cross sticks. He was using a Shiloh Number 1 Sporter in 45-90 with a bullet he cast. He cheated, though, using a scope. I guess when I'm that old I probably will as well.

Still, it was great experience and I really was happy to spend time with R.J. after not seeing him for a couple of years.
"Dyin' aint much of a livin', boy"
Jim VanMiddlesworth

Re: First buffalo

I guess my photos are too large. I'll resize them and add some later today.
Jim VanMiddlesworth

Me
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim VanMiddlesworth

RJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

Good job! Great eating there and done right with a Sharps Rifle!!
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Nice! Did you fellas drive there? How did you handle the meat? I have driven to Wyoming twice in December just to be able to transport the quarters back home in cold enough weather.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

Jim,
Glad you guys got your buffaloes in good order. It was good shooting especially in the wind. A buffalo is a big animal but the head shot is a small area to try to hit and it is not all that distinct an aim point. Not much margin for error.
Ours is so sweet and tender it will make you weep. My butcher friend has a friend with beetles so my buffalo head is being turned into a skull by the insects.
Jim VanMiddlesworth

I drove up from the Columbia, South Carolina area and RJ drove up from SW New Mexico. I packed coolers with the meat and dry ice. RJ had a freezer on a trailer powered by a generator.
Jimhp02

Post by Jimhp02 »

Wow! Love that long tube scope! Both guns are beautiful!
Can you tell me the weight of your Sharps?

Jim
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

Very nice and to be done with Sharps, well that just adds to the cool factor. One of the best meats to eat also. Looking forward to filling our freezer with bison again soon. Been too long.
“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It our job to see that it stays there.” - George Orwell
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
Army Veteran, Tank Commander