Shiloh Hunt this Fall??

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

I drew a late season wildlife for ranching cow elk tag. What did you get Ken?
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I don't know yet, I forgot to look, I'm heading that way right now. Thanks for reminding me!!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Marathonman, I drew a cow tag in 501, which is the area that the ranch that I work in lies. Thanks again, and congratulations on the marathon, you must have ESP, I was going to post a ?? for you tonight about that very subject!!

Rdnck, that is one heck of a post, I wish I could say the same. I haven't hunted with a modern rifle in about 10 years but I've never hunted with a Sharps. This fall I will though unless something really bad happens. I have hunted with a longbow and recurve and a ML the last 10 years.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

I also drew a 2nd season buck (Mule Deer) tag for Northwest Colorado.

Dang, can't decide whether to use the 50-90 or the 44-77...what a head scratcher.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Mike D.

Post by Mike D. »

I will be in North Dakota the first week in October for my first Buffalo hunt. I was planning to use my Pedersoli 45-70 but last weekend I picked up a #1 sporter Shiloh in 45-70 at a gun show so that will be my hunting rifle. (The Pedersoli is going to a gun show in Houston next weekend to generate some cash). My buddy for this hunt is using my original 1866 Springfield 50-70.

Mike D.
The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

Well guy's I aint got no Shiloh yet.... but will be hunting exclusively with my copy Sharps in 45-2.4" using a 530-gr ppbullet. I'm doing nothing but practicing with my barrel sights at the moment for hunting this season.
The Montanan

"I don't care what a person shoots, as long as he shoots it well"
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Whitetails..maybe a wild boar too. Rdnck - you're right we have 400 yds all marked off in 50 yd increments and have sight settings for each station. Now we're shootin' at different ranges without adjusting the sights trying to get a feel for some Kentucky windage. Man its a lot of fun and burns a lot of powder. One thing about it though, ya definitely learn your rifle and get an appreciaition for just what it will do. Hope I'll have a good story to post in this section after the season's over!!
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
deerhuntsheatmeup

Me too....

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

I hunt at Port Gibson MS. I came through V'burg Friday night on the way back because 18 was closed due to a tanker spill. I hope to vent a BUCK with my #1 Sporter at Big Oak. You river rats are so lucky to be that close to the swamps. Later, David Barfield
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Lee Stone,

I wouldn't worry too much about that spelling business if I were you. Personally, I subscribe to Will Roger's philosophy on spelling, " A man has a small imagination if he can only spell a word one way."

I have a 9 volume set of the original journals of Lewis and Clark. Interesting reading to say the least, but if you want to see creative spelling at the highest level you should read their journals. Spelling notwithstanding I think everyone knows that the contribution they made to this country is almost beyond comprehension.
Omak Cowboy

lewis & Clark

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Iron, I know it's off topic but I wonder if you read Ambrose's bio of Lewis & Clark.

I thouight it very interesting reading though it seemed that Ambrose ran out of steam the last chapter or two of the book. He maintains that Lewis suicided but my good friend, now passed, said Lewis was in possession of a large amount of money prior to his death. It was his opinion that Lewis was murdered.

Cheers
Laurence
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
TPSGMS

Post by TPSGMS »

Attended a Forensic Medicine presentation on death of Merriweather Lewis. To the extent that modern forensics can determine (Can definitely find THE body [most probably}--Cannot determine if he has any Female blood relatives-DNA family match determination, and hence the most probable historical account to listen to. And the US Historical powers that be (PARKS DEPT) are not co-operating). Anyhow, he could not have commited suicide due to the fact that the initial head shot came from an impossible angle to self-inflict, and no powder residue remains on skull, despite a semi-glancing blow (BUT, can a .70 cal. ball deliver even a "glancing blow"? And, the" fatal" second shot to the abdomen (also from a distance leaving no powder residue) allowed him to live for approx. 4 hours. In which time, he sought assistance from several local citizens who responded in like-fashion to questioning at the time, that he was actively seeking assistance for his wounds. Suicide victims, I dare say, do not pursue this action, at least I would think that they would not. He was found with no cash on him, on a route that he traveled frequently. Ironically, at the time of his death, he was relatively destitute, as he had finished his chronicles, but had not yet published nor profited from them. Much to the delight of his heirs. My 2 cents on Merriweather Lewis' demise. Dead at the ripe old age of 35. I believe the year was 1811. Tom
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

I have not read Ambrose's book on Lewis and Clark, but I have also heard both reports concerning the death of M. Lewis, suicide and murder. I rather suspect the murder hypothesis myself, because it sounds like Lewis had a sum of money on his person at the time.

Additionally, I have seen reports that Lewis was a severely depressed individual. I have seen others with severe depression, and good judgement is seldom at the top of decisions that are made. Bad judgment then as now can get one into a real jackpot.

Too bad Lewis didn't live long enough to own a '74 Sharps; that would almost assuredly have made him feel better about himself just because he owned one. I don't own one myself only because there are so many choices that I can't decide. Besides I don't know what I would do with it that I don't already do with my Browning 1885. I know, that is a really weak reason for not owning a Sharps or a Ballard or something else; a definite attitude problem--I'll try to work on that.
MudChild

Post by MudChild »

rdnck, what you described is what I want to teach my kids. I want to start them on single shot rifles so they learn to make their shots count.
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Good post rdnck. I've the 40-65 to a point that I'm real comfy inside 300 yds. I do use a 400yd laser range finder and I use the barrel sights. Using the buckhorn rear and filing down the front sight a few thou it hits point of aim at 100. Flip the ladder up and it's point of aim at 300 yds. Where's 200? About halfway up the front blade.

I did not get an elk tag this year, but got the deer tag. My buddy in Worland is going along again and is looking to do better than last year. He took a 7X7 last year. I've not clue what "better" means to him. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks.

TL
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Timberlake--Just have faith in that rifle and those barrel sights, and you will fill your freezer. You have a grip on the program now, and if you have the distance and the right sight setting, the rifle will put the bullet where you hold the front sight. Good luck, and shoot straight, rdnck.