Shiloh Hunt this Fall??

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Ken Hartlein

Shiloh Hunt this Fall??

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I was just wondering how many of you forum users are planning to hunt with your Shiloh this fall's hunting season?? I plan to hunt Elk near Lake George, CO with mine IF I draw a tag and IF my rifle is ready.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
John W.

Post by John W. »

Ken,
I plan to take mine out for deer hunting, that is if I draw. I may go elk hunting as well if I don't draw my Mount Emily black powder tag for a spike. Either way I'll be hunting in the La Grande, Oregon area with my new #1 sporter in 45-70. Now if I could just figure out that black powder!??
John T Walker
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Colorado Division of Wildlife plans to post the draw results for Elk on their website on 05-22-03.

SPECIES NAME PLANNED POST DATE
Spring Turkey Posted 3/7/03
Mountain Goat Posted 4/23/03
Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep Posted 4/23/03
Desert Bighorn Sheep Posted 4/23/03
Bear 5/8/03
Moose 5/13/03
Elk 5/22/03
Deer 5/29/03
Pronghorn Antelope 6/3/03
Leftover Elk 7/24/03
Leftover Deer 7/24/03
Fall Turkey 7/30/03
Greater Prairie Chicken 8/5/03
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Rich Siegel

Shiloh hunt this fall

Post by Rich Siegel »

I plan to hunt with my Saddle rifle in 50/70 this fall for whitetail deer and black bear in Maine.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Well, I plan on hunting some pastic "0"s and some steel buffalo, does that count? (Do you have ANY idea how long you have to boil that danged steel buffalo to tenderize it? Man! What a chore. But they are easy to field dress if you remember to bring a cuttin' torch with you.)
Lee Stone
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Well, after deer and elk in Washington, I will be in Montana for deer at Red Lodge, and then to Townsend to Hunt Confederate gulch for elk. If time allows (ha ha I'm retired) I will try a Buffalo hunt with my nephew in Missoula. Seems he has a connection that will allow a hunt for free roaming ranch Buff for the pittance of $350.00

Triggerdr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Trigger Dr., do you need any help with that buff hunt???
Shiloh Rules!!
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Ken,
as soon as I get all the particulars, I will let you know what is available.
Trigger dr

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Trigger Dr.

You know Doc, in actuallity I have not been hunting in many years. But an open range buffalo hunt is still a dream I would love to experince for real. Well, maybe one of these days.

I wouldn't want one of those contoled hunts in which the sponsors just sort of herd the buffalo across in front of you. I would still like to get on a horse and follow my guide and we go find the herd, then dismount and get within good (humane) range and harvest a good one. Then have the meat and robe processed for real use.

A one day whiz-bang hunt just would not be what I would want. I would like to stretch it out over a few (within reason) days and enjoy the country.

Well, dream on, right? But I do admire (and envy) the folks who have the opportunity to do it. Please let us know how your hunt works out. I would sure be proud to hear how it goes for you.
Lee Stone
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Oh man! When am I going to learn to proof read these things better before clicking the submit button? Darn it!

Please excuse my poor spelling of "experience".
Lee Stone
pete

Post by pete »

Hey Lee since you brought it up you might want to check out the way you spelled "controlled" as in controlled hunt. :D Just having fun here as I spell things wrong all the time. In fact I spelled controlled wrong writing it now. It's hard to spell that word. There are plenty of opportunities to have fun with my spelling.

Anyway I'm going to Nebraska for a buffalo this Nov. and an antelope if I draw a tag here in Colorado. I think it would be neat to go after the two main examples of plains game in the same year with a Sharps.
rdnck

Hunting with a Sharps

Post by rdnck »

Guys, I can appreciate your enthusiasm for hunting with a Sharps. I haven't carried a scope sighted smokeless loaded cartridge rifle of any kind hunting since I was a teenager, and as I write this, I am 59 years old.

I have taken ALL of my game animals with black powder, the majority of them in the '70s and '80s with a patched round ball out of a good handmade Hawken rifle. When I got my first Shiloh Sharps in 1984 and discovered just what an incredible rifle a good Sharps really is, I quit hunting with a muzzleloader for all intents and purposes. The Sharps is my rifle, period. When I go hunting, I simply get my rifle and go. The ammo is those big soft lead bullets loaded in front of a case full of black powder. There is no doubt in my mind that the rifle will cleanly take anything that walks at any distance I hit it. I never consider carrying any other type of rifle.

Learn to use the standard barrel sights that come on your Sharps. Get a small laser rangefinder and correlate the sight ladder at 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards. Get a light set of cross sticks, and GET OUT AND PRACTICE. You'll not only have a lot of fun, you will amaze yourself at what you will soon be able to hit and how far you can hit it. Load up some paper patched bullets and fill your cartridge belt. Get your Sharps, and go to the hunting camp. It makes a statement that no other rifle can match, and when you take a big game animal in this fashion, hunting is never quite the same again. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

To all who might be interested, (guess who that might be)
Every year at Troy Idaho, the Troy Lions club and the TATONKA Buffalo ranch work together for a raffle. This is how it works.
They sell 3000 tickets for $5.00 each, no limit on quantity. You hunt a free ranging BULL Buff. The hunt is guided and the buff is a WILD animal at least 7-10 years old. Your guide will gaurantee the kill no matter how long it takes. Generally you track in 24 -30" snow. The drawing isNew Years eve and the hunt can take place anytime after that up until the end of February.
The money goes to pay fro the market value of the Buff, and the rest is donated to local charities. You get the head, hide, cape, meat processed, and even the squeel if you want it.
I buy 10 tickets each year, and some day lady luck will look my way.
When I recieve the next flyer, I will post ofr all to read.
Trigger Dr

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I worked for a rancher in WY that was getting $1800 for a buffalo, but I bet it's less now, the bottom has dropped out of buffalo. I have a friend in ND that just bought some for $300 a head!! I might call him and find out what he's getting for a hunt. (WY)
Shiloh Rules!!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

You know Pete, I am not going to do it, but it is entirely possibe I could look back into that post and find some more corrections that should be made. Oh well. I guess I should just feel fortunate that I can put enough English on the board so that folks will have at least a general idea of what I am trying to say.

rdnck, that is why I bought a Bushnel 1000. I am the world's second worst at estimating distances (come on, somewhere out there there has to be someone a little worse than me). I am trying to use that thing to improve my ability to estimate distances with some degree of accuracy and also to know just what ranges I am shooting when I am practicing. Our club's range is primarily a CAS range, therefore the long distance part is a little make shift. So I have sort of taken upon myself the task of organizing it a little.

Doc, I believe I have heard of that raffle. Seems I read a article put out by the ranch that provides the hunt describing it. Well, that would be a really great way to do it. And anything the Lions Club does is great. Those great folk have helped more people than you can believe. I like to support the Lions when ever I can.
Lee Stone