BPCR OFFHAND SILHOUETTE

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Steve Rhoades

BPCR OFFHAND SILHOUETTE

Post by Steve Rhoades » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:56 pm

To all:
When the temperatures go up during the summer in Arizona the entries drop for our BPCR silhouette matches at Ben Avery.
We have tried different ways to shoot the matches during these times but it still requires going down range in 100 degree temperatures to reset and repaint the targets.
During one of our discussions on ways to solve the problem, Chip Mate offered the suggestion that we move the match to the Pistol Silhouette range and shoot our BPCRs offhand on the Long Range Pistol silhouette range.
These are the same targets we shoot for BPCR but at 50-100-150-200 meters instead of 200-300-385-500 meters.
The other BIG advantage is that the targets can be set pneumatically from the shooting line! No need to go down range except to paint before the match starts.
July was the first chance we have had to try out the new match format and boy did we have fun!
We started off by giving everyone as much time as needed to get their sight settings for the new shorter distances and to select a front aperture that would be compatible with the full size animals at the shorter distances.
Some shooters went to a post in the front while others selected a normal but larger ring aperture.
Since no sighters would be allowed during the match, having good sight setting was mandatory.
We also decided to deviate from the normal BPCR match format and shoot all ten targets during a ten minute relay.
This time period worked fine, allowing everyone plenty of time to patch between shots, work at a comfortable pace and still speed up the match.
We started the match at 9:00 am and we were able to shoot three relays and still be finished just before 12:00.
This wasn’t a NRA approved match so score books weren’t required and the awards were limited to Match Winner-2nd Place and 3rd Place.
Since it was his idea, it was only fitting that Chip Mate was the first Match Winner for the new Offhand BPCR Match with a 37X40 and a tie for 2nd and 3rd Place with 33X40s by Jim Dorrell and yours truly. A shoot-off resulted in Jim winning the engraved beer mug for 2nd Overall.
Surprisingly there were only three shooters that shot ten chickens in a row from the 50 yard line. Although not quite the same, now I can brag that I’ve shot ten chickens in a row with a BPCR. I’m sure Ron Calderone will have something to say about this!!
An interesting side note is the ammunition Jim Dorrell used to secure 2nd Place.
Jim cast the bullets for his 38-50 from range lead and loaded them up with a full case of Pyrodex!!! His stuff shot really well, proving for this new match format, you can be really competitive without breaking the bank for ammo components. Besides most of us have a collection of old powder that we would never use for normal BPCR silhouette matches but can be used to shoot good scores for the BPCR Offhand matches.
We shot the match, enjoyed a cold beer and were on our way home in about the same time it would take us to complete one half of a normal BPCR silhouette match.
While we were enjoying the cold beers we also discussed the advantage this match format has for shooting ranges that don’t have the room to provide a full sized silhouette range out to 500 meters.
Most ranges have at least a 200 yard range so the placement of targets for this style of match would be possible. Swinger targets could also be substituted for banks of targets and the match could be shot on swingers only.
My schedule for 2013 hasn’t been published yet but you can rest assured there will be a lot more BPCR Offhand matches on that schedule.
Steve Rhoades
Match Director.

BPCR OFF HAND MATCH 7/21/2012
CHIP MATE 10 10 8 9 37 MATCH WINNER
JIM DORRELL 9 10 7 7 33 2ND PLACE
STEVE RHOADES 10 9 7 7 33 3RD PLACE
ERIC SUNDSTROM 8 9 6 6 29
BOB DELATORRE 7 7 5 8 27
JEFF BLOHM 8 8 5 6 27
BILL COLE 8 8 6 4 26
RICK GREY 7 7 5 5 24
TRENT LAWRENCE 9 6 6 2 23
AL LAPORA 6 6 4 6 22
WARREN BARE 5 8 5 3 21
JASON BLOHM 6 6 3 6 21
ORRIS GRESS 10 5 2 4 21
WARREN BISSOMETTE7 8 3 2 20
LARRY RHODES 5 5 3 1 14
JERRY LATSCHAR 4 4 2 4 14
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB

Oregon Bill

Re: BPCR OFFHAND SILHOUETTE

Post by Oregon Bill » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Steve, that's an intriguing format. I'll bet the schuetzen guys would be very tough to beat at this game.

Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:32 pm

Oregon Bill wrote:Steve, that's an intriguing format. I'll bet the schuetzen guys would be very tough to beat at this game.
O Bill,

Not if you shoot under Rhoades' rules............. :lol: :lol: :wink: ............................Jim
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………

Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:48 pm

Sticks and stones Kidwell :P

SSShooter

Post by SSShooter » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Been shooting a 200m all offhand BPCR at Quinton Sportsman in Quinton, NJ for over ten years. Great game. Running the chickens is not an unusual event. However, the record of 38 has only been shot once in that time. The day starts with a 45 minute practice period. Once the practice time is over there are no sighters. Rather than prizes of any sort, the entry fee is used to cover target/range maintenance and pay a couple of HS kids to set the targets after each relay. Second Saturday of the month.
Glenn

Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:21 pm

SSShooter,
That's great! Glad there are some other shooters enjoying a fun game.
Why don't you post some pictures of the range and give us some details about your match?
With entries starting to wane at local as well as the National matches anything that will help to get shooters to the range with their BPCRs would be appreciated.
Steve R.
AZ.

Kidwell,
Lighten up on me, I'm just trying to get guys to shoot! Unlike yourself who is trying to retire off your match fees. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: