August 2014 Lodi, WI long range match report.

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Distant Thunder

August 2014 Lodi, WI long range match report.

Post by Distant Thunder »

Lodi, WI August long range match results.

Once again Cliff Gregg and Mark Schuenke, with the help of others, put on a great match. Twenty four shooters took to the firing line on Saturday in what many thought would be very easy shooting conditions which they hoped would make for high scores. This didn't prove to be the case. The winds were from behind us both days and rather light on Saturday. The problem for most was in picking up on the very subtle changes that kept them out of the center. The east wind, the range faces west, gave unexpected up and downs resulting a few misses at all three ranges both days. Those "M"s really show up in your scores at the end of the match. The wind on Sunday was also from the east, but unlike Saturday when it remain relatively light, it just kept getting stronger all day. It never hit the velocities it can at times, but being a tailwind made it a challenge. As you would expect there were occasional and rapid swings to a head wind and back again.

The past weekend also marked the return of two of Lodi's long time favorites, Anthony Pappalardo and Glenn Fewless. Both have been missed by all as they dealt with medical issues. These two guys are as good as it gets when it comes to spotters whether it's long range or silhouette. They proved that again this weekend. Glenn wasn't able to keep up with the rigors of pulling target or the heat of the sun while laying prone for 35-40 minutes of prep, sighters, and record fire, but in the scope he was, for the most part, his old self.

One thing we did differently at this match was that several shooters stood up and accepted the challenge of the match directors and declared they would be shooting without the aide of a coach. This was done to add to the challenge for those who feel life isn't challenging enough as it is. While I have done it alone many times before, and it is a challenge, I enjoy the spotter/coach and shooter method because it triples my fun. I enjoy spotting my squad members to good scores as much or more than shooting a good score myself. And when I'm pulling target and one of my guys is drilling them in the center it is an absolute joy to pull it, mark it, and run it up again cheering them on all the while!

As I said there were a few shooters who found their way to the center of the black on Saturday and at the end of the first day it was very close at the top.

Mike Theisen (PP) was sitting in first place with 267
Bob Walline in 2nd with 260
Jim Kluskens (PP) in 3rd with 255
Brent Danielson (PP) in 4th with 247

(The X count isn't noted above.)

It should be noted that Brent was one of the brave souls shooting without the benefits of coaching. You'll also note that paper patched bullets were used by the majority of the guys at the top after day one.

Sunday had more clouds, higher temperatures, and stronger winds. Just the kind of thing to make a good spotter look even better. Glenn Fewless lived up to his reputation in the scope. While there were periods when a condition would hold for a bit it wouldn't last long and fast shooting was a big plus. It didn't seem any condition lasted long enough to finish record fire, at least not for me, so you had to be willing to turn the knobs. Corrections weren't big, a max of maybe four minutes on the windage and two on the elevation, but if you weren't willing to risk the corrections you'd have settle for 8s and 7s or worse. Over correcting was a real danger, with even a half minute up or down being too much at times and would result in moving clear across the center of the target. The X-ring seemed very elusive, I know it was for me. Most of my "X"s came in one relay! In 3 of my 6 relays I never did find the X-ring including 800 yards on Sunday when I shot a 93-0X.

So at the end of the match on Sunday the two day scores looked as follows.

Jim Kluskens 524-7 (PP)
Mike Theisen 517-6 (PP)
Bob Walline 511-8
Brent Danielson 507-9 (PP)

Lodi is my "HOME" range so to me it is special and it is also special to many who travel from other states to shoot with us. To those who have never shot here, "It ain't Raton!", and I know that. I will say that if you haven't shot at Lodi you should really come and give it a try, I don't believe you will be disappointed in the matches here or in the range. If it is somehow an easy place to shoot high scores then come on and show us what you can do! We're a friendly bunch and haven't hung any outsiders from one of the flagpoles in a long time. :shock: :lol:

One last word, the matches at Lodi, like anyplace else I'm sure, are the result of the hard efforts of a few exceptionally great guys, in our case it's Cliff and Mark. Without them the matches wouldn't be available for the shooters to attend. Without good numbers in attendance the matches won't continue. If you enjoy shooting these old single shot rifles with black powder and lead, beginner or veteran, you owe it to yourself and your sport to support these matches wherever they are held, please do so. Get up from your computer, load some ammo, and get to a match! For me it has been one of the most satisfying efforts in my life and it continues to be. If you are a beginner you'll find all the help you need just for the asking, so don't let that stop you. If you're an experienced shooter, what the hell is your problem, get to a match!!!

Shoot well!

Jim Kluskens, aka Distant Thunder.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Kenny Wasserburger

Re: August 2014 Lodi, WI long range match report.

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

SWeet!!!!

yup ole PP just don't cut it against Grease Grooves. :lol: :lol: :wink:

Thanks for the Report Jim!

KW
The Lunger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Thanks for th report. It sounds like a fun match.

Chris.
COBPTR

Post by COBPTR »

The neat score missing there would be your Day 2, 269. Awesome score Jim! Keeping your group in the 9 ring (average) for the whole match is pretty impressive!
Thanks for the report.

Robert G.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

Something else that may not be clear from my report is that Glenn and Anthony were my spotters and did the hard work, I just tried to keep both eyes open while I jerked the trigger! :oops: :lol:
You don't have to shoot paper patched at Lodi to win, but it sure seems to help! If they can win at Lodi they just might work at other ranges! :wink: They sure are working well out of my new Hepburn, three matches done this year with two 2nd place finishes and one 1st place. I have one match to go, anything could happen, but I am hopeful! I am due for an operator malfunction! :roll: Either way it's been a great year for paper patched and all the work I put into the rifle is paying off.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder