March Smithmoor Range 22 match

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

March Smithmoor Range 22 match

Post by jackrabbit »

Fellow Shooters,

Thanks to everyone that helped make this perhaps the best match of the winter season! We had a great turnout with 19 shooters making it out. The weather was nothing short of fantastic for a March day. It was quite warm and we elected to shoot off of the pad in the front of the shed in order to better enjoy the sunshine. At times we had a stiff breeze that would quickly change directions, and at others the wind flags were limp. It was plenty to get some good practice at making wind calls, and make it a good challenge. The light and target visibility was excellent, so we chose to not break scope and irons sights into separate classes. We also had some nice surprises from a couple of guests that showed up to visit. Jack Odor is recovering from rotator cuff shoulder surgery and was unable to compete, but his presence is always appreciated. Brian, more commonly known as Lazy M on the internet also showed up to check things out. Hopefully he brings his rifle next seson. Also, some of the shooters were quite startled by the apparent appearance of Jesus! Upon closer inspection, it was found to only be my long haired brother, Casey. Although mostly mortal, he is thought to be god-like among certain lineman circles. Thanks Casey to coming out, it meant a to me for you to be here.

Coralee and Lorraine produced another great lunch this month by serving homemade chicken minestrone soup and two big pans of fresh bread pudding. A lot of the ingredients came from our farm. Thank you ladies very much as this certainly adds a lot to our matches. Also wanted to give a special thank you to Steve Anderson, Jeff Demott, Tom Wengh and a couple of others that came early to set up, paint targets, and assemble our new flag pole. I have to admit to feeling an extra bit of pride at seeing Old Glory flying over our humble shooting range. Also a big thanks to Jeff Demott for bringing donuts! The morning snack was much appreciated by everyone.

We had some very good scores this month, and more importantly I was quite proud to see some very big improvement from many of the shooters. Rick Moritz had not been able to shoot all winter and was feeling a little rusty. Apparently there was not as much rust as he thought as he managed a 34 to be our overall match winner. Good job Rick! It is always fun to watch such a talented guy shoot. Travis Purdum finally set his 52 Winchester aside and broke out his Sharps with a liner. Even with the poor luck of hitting two pigs and failing to knock them over he managed a 29 for our AAA winner. Steve Anderson is getting his new Stevens figured out and showed a much improved 23 to win our AA class. Marisa Moritz was quite happy with her score of 25 to win the A class, and we had a tie in our Modern class that had to be settled with a shoot off. Cecil Sauer and Joshua Tangeman were both shooting bolt action 22's with modern scopes and shot 23's. Cecil was able to prevail in the shoot off by getting 2 of the 3 chickens. I also wanted to mention perhaps the happiest shooter, my Dad Gary, who shot an 18 today and has been able to show steady improvement over the winter. We were also blessed with two junior shooters, Hayden Farmer and Seth Tangemen. Both are fine young men that showed respectable scores and will not doubt be very tough competitors in the very near future.

Thanks again to everybody that contributed to this great match!
Cody L. Smith

Name Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Place
Master
Cody Smith 4 10 9 9 32
Rick Moritz 5 10 9 10 34 MW

AAA
J.D. Farmer 1 9 6 5 21
Dick Hennebry 1 9 7 6 23
Robert Garibay 0 7 7 6 20
Travis Purdum 4 7 8 10 29 1st

AA
Coralee Smith 1 9 5 3 18
Jeff Demott 0 5 8 4 17
Steve Anderson 3 8 7 5 23 1st
Tom Wengh 1 8 4 8 21
Hayden Farmer 1 3 6 5 15

A
Gary Smith 1 5 6 6 18
Dave Clark 0 8 2 2 12
Marisa Moritz 1 8 8 8 25 1st
Ceph Jones 1 7 5 5 18

Modern
Joshua Tangeman 4 8 5 6 23
Seth Tangeman 2 7 4 6 19
Cecil Sauer 3 8 7 5 23 1st
Greg Bybee 3 7 2 3 15
Woody

Re: March Smithmoor Range 22 match

Post by Woody »

Nice report Cody.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
stevewhr

Re: March Smithmoor Range 22 match

Post by stevewhr »

As per usual, good time, good food, and good company. Thanks for your hospitality. Having never competed, I'm sure enjoying myself. So nice for the chance to rub shoulders with some good shooters. Looking forward to April, Steve.
wyomingsightdrifter.com