2015 Butte Jim Gier Memorial Invitatonal Schuetzen Match

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Del

2015 Butte Jim Gier Memorial Invitatonal Schuetzen Match

Post by Del »

The 2015 Jim Gier Memorial Invitational Schuetzen Two Day Match was held this last weekend (Dec 12th - 13th) at the historical Butte Gun Club Schuetzen House. The Schuetzen House began construction around 1910 and is warmed during the matches by two Civil War Barracks wood stoves. The Butte Gun Club donates cheese kielbasa sausages purchased locally that are heated on the wood stoves and available to snack on throughout the days shooting event. Saturday had an included dinner with fried chicken and roast beef as the meat items. A great event which allows you to step back in time over 100 years and experience a time treasured shooting competition as it was in the era of the German immigrants who migrated to Butte to work in the mines and brought with them their favorite shooting pastime. Now it would really be authentic if they were to re-establish the main lodge and the "Sportin' Houses" out back with the ladies and all!!! :wink:

Shooters both local and from afar attended this years event. This venue has been running since the early 1990s and is well run by Match Director Butch Ulsher. Attendance is limited to 32 shooters (only have 16 windows to shoot from) and this year the roster was filled in the first couple of weeks which was the fastest ever. 50 shots are fired each day in two relays of 25 each for a total of 100 shots for total score. With a possible 25 for each shot this allows a possible total of 2500 points. Pat Bowland (2110) in scope and Ted Tompkins (2018) in iron both shot over 2000 which shows Ted's average shot was in the 20 ring and Pat's was in the 21 ring!! Great shooting both!!

Monetary awards were awarded for the "First 25" shot in each relay as well as the historical "King Match" which was won this year by Graeme McDougal. The "King Match" is where each shooters chips a $1 into the pot and one shot is taken by each competitor at a target (wooden target supplied by Biggi Hoelschen that was emblazoned with a mural depicting Butte) with the winner hitting closest to the bulls eye on the target taking money pot home. Biggi also hand makes a German style hat pin that she awards to the winner of the King Match as well. Thank you Biggi!! I will try to get a picture of each to include on my post. The holes in the wooden target were plugged with wooden dowels onto which each number was written to save the history of that King Match on the target.

Saturday after the main match shooting was over Pat Bowland organized and directed a 22 Schuetzen match at 50 yards as well. I didn't document the winner of this match but will find out and post later (or maybe someone who attended remembers, my apologies.. :( ) Lots of fun!!!

A great article written by C.T. Westergaard in 1929 (I think Butch taught him how to shoot as a young boy) describing the sport of Schuetzen can be found at this URL: http://www.issa-schuetzen.org/pdfs/west ... fining.pdf . A great time with a great group of shooters!!

Find the scores at this URL: http://www.mtbpcr.com/Shootster/schuetz ... en%20Match

P.S. Sorry J.C. but your score was too good to show as a DNF! :)
Fortune Favors the Bold...
Steve Rhoades

Re: 2015 Butte Jim Gier Memorial Invitatonal Schuetzen Match

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Del,
While my lousy shooting is now public knowledge, I do want to thank you for your tireless effort in scoring the targets and posting the scores.
Thanks to your efforts I had a great time.
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB
Dan O

Re: 2015 Butte Jim Gier Memorial Invitatonal Schuetzen Match

Post by Dan O »

Thanks for posting that link Del it was a good read. Butch put on a great match, I enjoyed it immensely. Just wish I would have shot a little better but heck it was all fun. Steve it was good meeting you hope you had a good trip home, I hope you missed the snow.
Thanks to Butch for keeping a great shooting sport alive and well.
Dan