Smithmoor October BPCR Match

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Smithmoor October BPCR Match

Post by jackrabbit »

Fellow Shooters,

Ten riflemen were able to make it out to shoot on one of the nicest days of the year. I was pleased with the turnout as October 15 is pretty well right in the middle of hunting season in Wyoming and Colorado. Several of our regulars were out hunting and we wish them good luck! The weather was absolutely phenomenal for October yesterday. The entire morning there was absolutely no mirage. Several people commented on how amazingly clear they could see the bullet strikes. One squad witnessed a half bullet hit on rams and reportedly could clearly see it. I thought for sure the wind was going to come up and make shooting really tough, but it stayed gentle. It was switchy and tricky but not hard, thank goodness.

We took a short break to enjoy the wonderful lunch that Momma Lorraine brought out. Fresh, homemade cabbage burgers, fruit salad, tea, and cream cheese pumpkin cupcakes were on the menu. As usual it was pretty darn good. Several shooters have remarked that shooting was a side item, they come for the food! Thanks for the great cooking Mom. Not long after the match started, I got a call from some neighbors that the fence was down and some cows were out. Super woman, Coralee, and her trusty sidekick dog Zippy went to the rescue putting in the cows and fixing the fence while toting around three kids. Because of this we didn't get to see her at the match and no pictures were taken. Thanks Coralee for taking care of business so we can play.

Hayden Farmer came up 3rd in the Second half class yesterday. Good shooting Hayden! They have had a busy summer and we hadn't seen the Farmers for a while. I am glad it worked out they could come, we had missed them this summer! Dick Hennebry and Dad have been neck and neck the last couple of months for the winner of the Second Half Class. This month Dad prevailed by reverse animal count. He shot four chickens! This is the first time Dad has been able to win at any of our matches. Good Job Dad! He was elated and everyone was glad to see him do well. One of the most pleased to see him win was his spotter and competitor Dick. This sport always amazes watching so many of these shooters shoot a good score, then turn right around the next relay and do everything thing they can to help their fellow shooter beat them. Talk about a great bunch of folks and what a blessing it is to call so many of them friends.

JD Farmer shot a 23 to be 2nd in the 1st Half Class, while Michael Rix shot a good score of 29 to edge me out for match winner by one. I had a good score going and then fell apart on my last animal, the rams. Arg....at least I know what I need to work on. Michael and his spotter Lee Wolff did a super job on the turkeys. There were some really tricky and switchy winds going on when he shot them. I think every shot required a windage sight change. It was truly a feat and that 10 in a row pin was hard earned. Speaking of good shooting, it was actually one year ago during the October match in 2015 that Michael Rix set our range record score of 32. It has been tough to beat!

We have had several very generous donations lately and we can't tell you how much we appreciate them. Although Dad and I have put a lot of effort into our range, we couldn't do it without all of the great folks shooting and donating to our facility. Besides the obvious value of the financial help, the moral support and encouragement statement it makes telling us we are doing the right thing is unspeakable. Thank you all very much! Our dream of making Smithmoor Range one of the finest silhouette ranges in the country is truly a group effort.

News for this month includes the construction of the firing line covering should start soon. It should be done in time for our November match. It is going to be great and we are really excited about it. Barring any bad weather, we will be shooting at Watkins on November 5th and back here at Smithmoor on November 19th. Also, the first match of our 22 BPCR Winter Series will start on November 12th. These will run on the second Saturdays of the month, November through April. We are also planning a Historic Target Rifle match on November 19th. We will be shooting the American Standard Target so we can compare our scores to those that were shot around the turn of the century. If anyone has any interest, please contact me for the full run down.

Take care and I hope to see you out on the range,
Cody Smith

Shooter Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Place

Michael Rix 1 10 10 8 29 MW
Cody Smith 7 10 7 4 28 1st
JD Farmer 1 9 6 7 23 2nd
Lee Wolff 1 9 5 5 20
Joe Kapler 1 9 3 3 16

Gary Smith 4 8 4 5 21 1st Second Half
Hayden Farmer 1 6 4 8 19 3rd
Dick Hennebry 1 9 4 7 21 2nd
Kevin Finney 1 6 6 4 17
Jim Rodebaugh 2 8 3 3 16
Ted Tompkins

Re: Smithmoor October BPCR Match

Post by Ted Tompkins »

7 chickens? 9 last time? You are doing a great job on those tiny birds Cody. Keep up the good work!
Ted
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for. Will Rogers 1879 -1935
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Thanks Ted. I fear I may have put all of my efforts into the chickens and forgotten about the laydowns....lol There is always something to work on. I am glad to know you read the match reports.
take care, Cody
Ted Tompkins

Post by Ted Tompkins »

Chickens are the hardest part. You do well on all the others too.

I enjoy seeing what others are doing in the matches. I like the story that goes with the scores. I would like to shoot with you guys some day but it is a long drive for me. I have heard nothing but good about your range and the way you run it.

Keep up the good work!
Ted
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for. Will Rogers 1879 -1935
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

It's great to see someone get on top of their game by shooting chickens so well. Teds had a few 5 in a rows this year and it's fun to watch.
Great shooting Cody!!!!

Dan
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

My bucket list is definitely getting too large at my age, but Cody's match/food fest is right up there at the top. I hear it is a fun and competitive get together. Snake Hips would go, but he is easily traumatized by Cody's success with the dirt scratchers................................
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
bryany

Post by bryany »

I didn't know Ted could read let alone run a computer to find the Internet.

Good job Cody, thanks for the report.

Bryan
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
Ted Tompkins

Post by Ted Tompkins »

Kidwell:
Anybody that plays in the dirt is alright in my book. The only time you ever "farmed" was when your bullets were heading down range. (Especially at chickens). :D

Bryan:
I can read a little bit as long as there are no big words. Anything over 4 letters I have to look them up. :?: :oops:

Ted