Bergersen Match Results

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Bergersen Match Results

Post by jackrabbit »

Fellow Shooters,

It seems like problems come in rashes, and if that is so, the Smith Farm looks like it has polka dots. None of them are very big, so nobody needs to worry, but one of them has been the internet being hit and miss this week. This has kept me from getting this match report out sooner. On Saturday, November 26, we held the first Bergersen Historic Target Rifle Match here in Carpenter at Cody's Shooting Shed. We had a full house with 8 shooters! This is about the most the shed can handle for a schuetzen style match. I was very pleased with the turnout.

For a little background, Peter Bergersen was a riflemen from Cheyenne that was very active in competitive rifle shooting around the turn of the century. For a time, he held several national records and made headlines in local papers. All of the scores that I can find from his shooting are on the Standard American Target. Most schuetzen style shooting taking place today uses the German Ring Target. I found some modern targets that are very close to the old Standard American Target (NRA 50 yard slow fire pistol targets) and I thought it would be interesting to hold a match and see how our scores compared. As we all know, it is a lot different shooting a few practice targets by yourself and standing on the line in a competition while trying to break good shots. To no surprise to any of the competitors, Peter Bergersen's score is quite good and it was not broken on Saturday! Pete's record from 1901 is 895 out of 1000 for a 100 shot match and 97 out of 100 for a high target.

For our match, we shot off the bench first to get everybody on paper. We went ahead and shot 20 shots for score on two Wyoming Schuetzen Union German ring targets, and then moved to the offhand on the Standard American Target. We fired 50 shots for score on the Standard American, 25 shots on each of two targets. Weather conditions were absolutely super for November in Wyoming. It was sunny in the mid 50's with only an occasional whisper of wind. There was one cross wind that came up later in the match that caught a few unaware and required some significant sight adjustment. For some reason we forgot about them and we had very limited wind flags out and that breeze caught most by surprise. Coralee brought out ham and beans with cornbread and rhubarb buckle desert. It was great! We were also blessed with Michael Rix bringing a couple of his own homemade pies! They were super! Talk about an international man of mystery that never fails to amaze! Just to keep things interesting, we each threw five bucks into a pool that was to go to the offhand winner. Jack Odor was our winner of both the bench and offhand, and snatched up the 40 bucks. He then proceeded to hand most of it to Coralee for lunch. Good shooting and thanks for buying lunch Jack!

Jack remembered that he actually has an original Standard American Target in his collection at home. He took one of ours with him, and when he got home he compared it to his original. He reports the scoring rings are identical on the two targets, so our scores would compare accurately. The black section on the original goes out one ring farther than the target we used and there is a white spot in the middle. Our target has a sold black bull, and I think when we use them again I will put a small white paster in the center. That would give us something better to aim it. I am not sure the year, but sometime later in the use of the Standard American Target, they added a dashed 11 and 12 ring inside the center of the 10 ring, keeping everything else the same. Jack's target is one of the later ones with the additional scoring rings. Look for pictures on facebook and also a complete story in the Black Powder Cartridge News.
take care and hold center, Cody

Shooter Bench #1 #2 Total Bench Offhand #1 #2 Total Aggregate

Cody Smith 233 239 472 195 190 385 857 2nd
Gary Smith 218 213 431 0 0 0 431
Michael Rix 230 225 455 187 178 365 820 3rd
Jack Odor 244 245 489 216 212 428 917 MW
Don McDowell 94 0 94 124 92 216 310
Doc Munson 102 0 102 81 70 151 253
Kevin Finney 239 235 474 132 115 247 721
Travis Purdum 232 237 469 39 104 143 612