January Smithmoor 22 match Write-Up

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

January Smithmoor 22 match Write-Up

Post by jackrabbit »

Fellow shooters,

We were again blessed with great weather this month! The temperatures ranged from the mid thirties to the mid forties, but there was almost no wind all day. We had the fire burning hot in the shed so whenever shooters became a little chilled, a visit to the stove warmed them. We had a great turnout with 22 shooters making it out to contest their shooting skills. The day was nice enough that a quick survey of a few shooters resulted in the decision to add the fifth target to the mix and shoot from outside the shed on the concrete. It ended up being a good decision. The fifth target is a 100 yard Wyoming Schuetzen Union German Ring paper target. It is shot prone or sitting from the sticks and is fired after the pigs and before the turkeys in the rotation. After getting a good sight setting on an 8 inch black gong hanging next to the target, shooters go for score and attempt to put 10 rounds into a 3/4" 25 ring. It is tough to do, let me tell you! There were several good scores shot this month, but Joe Kapler prevailed with a 241. What makes this even more impressive is that due to a back injury, Joe shoots from the sitting position. Good Shooting Joe!

Here at Cody's Shooting shed, we do not normally break the scope shooters and the iron sight shooters into different classes. The matches are relatively small and breaking the groups apart would result in classes with only one or two shooters. I have also not seen a large difference in scores between the irons and scopes and didn't really think it mattered too much with the 22's. As the morning started however, I was doubting my theory. The berms had a little patchwork of snow on them and there were snow banks below the rails. This made target visibility tough, especially on the rams and especially with iron sights. A couple of shooters were unfortunately really at a disadvantage. As the day went on, the scores didn't seem affected as much as I was worried they were going be and the visibility improved. Travis Purdum and Mark Pachares suffered some severely poor target visibility with their open sights, but both pulled through with respectable scores. Travis shot a great 32 this month, but he is using his 52 Winchester so he was excluded from the awards. Jimmie Sommerfield of Post Oak Guns is re-barreling a beautiful Ballard for Travis and he hopes to have it soon. Until then, we are glad he comes to shoot with us using his trusty old 52.

Our very own multi-talented International Man of Mystery, Michael Rix volunteered to bring the main course for lunch yesterday. He brought a super ham and bean soup. I thought it was great and judging by the lack of leftovers, everyone else did too. I am not sure it rated quite as high as his apple pies he brought in November, but it was still pretty darn good. Thank you Michael! Coralee whipped up a couple of rhubarb deserts and some cornbread, Jim Rodebaugh brought some super green chile cornbread and a big plate of cookies, and Tom Reed brought a big box of mint chocolate cookies, and someone brought a plate of banana bread. It was quite the spread! I also wanted to be sure and thank Dick, JD, and Walt Farmer for always being available and willing to help with setting up. Mark Pachares came early to help this month as well. He and his daughter ended up shoveling all of the targets out of the snow banks and getting them set up. Steve Anderson also was the first to jump up to help me retrieve and set up the target stand for the paper target. There is a lot that goes into putting on our matches and I couldn't do it without all of the super help. I always smile that everyone of our shooters find their own way to help out and support the matches. Thank you!!

This month I managed six chickens to secure the Match Winner award. I didn't shoot particularly well on the lay downs, but I made it up on chickens. It kind of reminds me of the the old phrase about living by the sword and dying by the sword. Dick Hennebry shot well again this month with a 31 to earn 1st Master. Dick has really stepped up his game this past year and we seem to see him continually in the winners circle. He had to sneak out a little early so we missed him in the award ceremony and the pictures. Something about tickets to the symphony and his wife not ever letting him shoot again if he missed it.... We understood for sure. Joe Kapler was our high AAA shooter again this month with a 28. My Dad, Gary Smith was very pleased to be high AA class with a 23, and Jerry Zang shot a 25 to be high A class, just edging out Weston Rix by one. Another couple of good matches and we will see Jerry and Weston Moving up to AA class. Good shooting this month! As most of you know, nothing pleases me more than to see folks having fun and shooting well on our ranges. I am not sure if folks were enjoying the nice day, or if there was just something in the air, but the match enjoyed an especially lively mood this month. No one seemed to be safe from the constant ribbing and jousting from fellow shooters and there was seldom a moment when laughter was not heard.

Some big news this month is competitor and Smithmoor Supporter Steve Anderson has gotten his new business enterprise off the ground. His first batch of Wyoming Sight Drifters were manufactured in December. They are ready for shipment! Buffalo Arms and Montana Vintage Arms is carrying them, and you can buy them direct from Steve. We also have a few here at Smithmoor for sale if one of our shooters would like one. I firmly believe every shooter's box should have one in it. Steve has been an adamant supporter of Smithmoor Range and is sponsoring our matches. Bryan Youngberg also graciously donated some very nice and very needed rifle racks to be used at the big bore range. They are super and will be put to good use during the Rocky Mountain Regional 22 BPCR Match in June. Thank you Bryan! What a blessing it is to have Bryan's talents and generosity within our group and to be able to count him as a friend. I can't say enough how much we appreciate all the support we have received from Bryan, Steve, and a many other folks.

Hopefully everyone has seen the Smithmoor Calender I put out on email and on the facebook page. If not, please let me know and I will send you a copy. Of note on it is the schedule change for next month. The 22 match will be held the THIRD (3RD!) Saturday in February and there is not a big bore match planned for February. We will see how the weather plays out this week for the big bore match next Saturday, and there is a historic target rifle match planned for the 28th. Also, we are starting to plan for our 22 Spring Finale in April, so keep that in mind. The biggest news is we are planning a two day Spring Big Bore Championship Memorial Weekend. Plans are coming together, but we are hoping to make it a great match. Keep an eye out for a match flyer soon. Also, the Rocky Mountain Regional 22 BPCR Match is pretty well full with a short waiting list. If you are thinking of trying to get in contact Dick Hennebry. This early on, there is sure to be a cancellation or two so don't be afraid to get on the waiting list.
take care,
Cody Smith

Smithmoor Range Sponsored by

Cal-Graf Design, Travis and Dawna Purdum http://www.cal-graf.com/
Wyoming Sight Drifer, Steve and Kathy Anderson 307-421-2127
Bryan Yougberg
Versatile Ag Systems Well Service, Cody and Gary Smith Family

Shooter Paper Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Place
Master
Jack Odor 227 1 8 8 8 25
Dick Hennebry 239 3 9 10 9 31 1st Master
Cody Smith 236 6 9 10 8 33 MW