February Smithmoor 22 match Write-Up

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

February Smithmoor 22 match Write-Up

Post by jackrabbit »

Fellow Shooters,

Super Match Yesterday! We were fortunate to be blessed by having both a nice day to shoot and a nearly full house of shooters. If the weather is nice and we can shoot from in front of the shooting shed on the concrete, we can handle 25 shooters. Yesterday we had 23, including many of the best shots from the region. We elected to add the fifth station, a paper target at 100 yards, to the rotation. The temperatures varied from the mid 40's to the upper 50's, with a strong breeze of 10-15 mph coming from the south and west. It was just enough to keep the shooting interesting. Several of the paper targets I saw had a couple of inches of vertical spread on them. I also dropped a couple of lay down animals by shooting over or under them. It seemed to me the wind was causing some of the vertical dispersion, which is tough to read and compensate for. It didn't keep quite a few folks from shooting some great scores, however.

Dick Hennebry graciously provided lunch yesterday. He and his wife, Polly, prepared some super sloppy joes and Dick brought it all out. A variety of chips, fresh buns, and baked beans accompanied the huge pot of sloppy joes. I thought it was great! I know the ladies of Smithmoor also sincerely appreciated the break from cooking as well. As many of you know, Polly recently suffered a tragic and life changing accident that thankfully has ended up much better than it could have been. Dick and Polly sincerely want to thank the shooting community for all of the thoughts, prayers, and flowers that were sent in their time of need. Praise the Lord things have turned out so well!

We had several events of note yesterday. The appearance of the Harsh Brothers, Jimbo Terry and Kenny Wasserburger, always make things interesting. Kenny, Jimbo, Bryan Youngberg, and myself shot on a squad, and we had quite a good time although I may have to start requiring ear muffs for the ladies and juvenile shooters... Kenny shot well yesterday, cleaning all of the lay downs and killing two chickens. Good shooting Kenny! I had it pretty easy as Bryan spotted for me. It sure seems easy to shoot well when Bryan is spotting. He doesn't miss any wind changes and seems to always know what to do. Thanks Bryan! We also had two young men come out and shoot and do very well. Weston Rix has made most of the matches this season and was very pleased to move up to AA class this match with a super 29! Good Job Weston! We also were very pleased to have young Carson Holmes shoot his first silhouette match this month. He came with his Dad, Bryan, and Grandpa Jack Odor. Carson did super and ended up winning A class with a 24. It was tough to tell who was more pleased, Carson or Grandpa! Having these fine young men come out and shoot with us is truly a blessing and I can't tell you how much it pleases us. Thank you!

As mentioned above, the paper target was challenging this month. It is a 100 yard Wyoming Schuetzen Union German Ring target with a 3/4" 25 point center. It is rather amazing how tough it is to shoot a perfect 250 score. We have a steel gong hanging next to the target frame in which the shooters sight in on. Then they move to the paper and put 10 shots for score on it. The target adds a bit of flavor to our matches and shooters seem to enjoy trying to shoot a good score on it. There were several 234's including Michael Rix, Bryan Youngberg, and Jimbo, but with Bryan's help I managed a 235 to be top score. That is the first time I have been able to do that and I am still smiling. The paper target is just for fun and the score is not included when figuring match or class winners.

In A class, this month Carson Holmes won with a 24, and Weston Rix shot a 29 which along with his previous couple of AA scores, moved him AA class. His 29 also won AA class. AAA was competitive as usual, but Mark Pachares came out on top with a 29, besting tough competitor Joe Kapler by one. Mark is super shot and although he has struggled to come out on top most of the season, I knew he would get it figured out. Good Job Mark! Master class was also neck in neck this month with many great scores being shot. Dick Hennebry and myself were able to edge out Kenny by one animal with 33's. Dick and I then had to settle it in a shoot off. We did best of three chickens. Both of us missed our first chicken, Dick smacked his second one, and I was feeling the pressure. I was able to answer, and then Dick dropped the third one. All eyes were on me as I beared down to hit the third chicken to win.......and I connected. I love shoot-offs and thank you to Dick for the tough competition! Speaking of tough competition, Dick has been shooting super this year. Yesterday's match he cleaned all the lay downs and shot three chickens! Wow! On top of that, I believe this is the third (HOLY COW!) time he has cleaned all the lay downs this season! Super shooting Dick! Folks like to see Dick shoot so well as he is such an adamant supporter and promoter of our sport and it is nice to see someone that puts so much time and effort into making shooting events for other folks to enjoy be able to shoot well. My Dad, Gary Smith, is Dick's spotter and some credit must go there as well. Dick and Dad have been shooting together this past year and they have gotten their system down pretty well! I am proud of you both!

We had three new shooters this month (Bryan Holmes, Carson Holmes, and Larry Steinle), one that had only shot one match a while back (Rob Cooper) and one college student from local LCCC that came to check out our match. It is exciting to see interest from new shooters and hopefully they will be back!

Lots of row pins were awarded this month, including lots of tens for turkeys and rams. I like seeing the scoreboard loaded with so many 10's! I was quite pleased to earn a 5 chicken pin this month. We don't give very many of them out and it will surely hold a special place in my trophy area. We held a game of our fundraiser, Turkey Lotto again this month. There is a running joke we get quite the kick out of. The way Turkey Lotto works is we have a dry erase marker board with 10 squares on it, one for each turkey. Players can then buy a square for 10 dollars. As the day goes on, each time a turkey is hit, a mark is put in it's square. The turkey with the most hits at the end of the match wins 1/2 of the money put into the pot. Well, a couple of months ago, Greg Bybee signed up for the Turkey Lotto by grabbing a random marker and writing his name on the square for Turkey #3. After the match was over, we discovered he had used a permanent marker and we are unable to erase his name! We give him a hard time about being such a "gracious" contributor! Thanks for being a good sport Greg! This month, much to everyone's surprise, Turkey #10 won! Nobody purchased #10 as it is usually the lowest scoring turkey, therefore the house wins the pot. It is rather entertaining trying to guess which one will win.
Take care and hold center!
Cody Smith

Shooter Paper Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Place
Master
Bryan Youngberg 234 1 10 10 8 29
Michael Rix 234 5 10 7 9 31
Cody Smith 235 6 10 8 9 33 MW
Jack Odor 229 1 10 9 9 29
Kenny Wasserburger 229 2 10 10 10 32
Dick Hennebry 224 3 10 10 10 33 1st
Jim Rodebaugh 231 1 10 8 10 29

AAA
Joe Kapler 222 2 9 8 9 28
JD Farmer 228 1 10 8 5 26
Mark Pachares 227 3 10 6 10 29 1st
Coralee Smith 215 0 8 10 5 23
Jim Terry 234 0 10 9 4 23
Tom Reed 226 1 10 8 7 26
Bryan Holmes 220 2 8 8 9 27

AA
Gary Smith 226 1 4 7 8 25
Steve Anderson 180 0 10 6 3 19
Greg Bybee 200 2 10 4 7 23
Dick Farmer 218 2 10 6 7 25
Weston Rix 225 0 9 10 10 29 1st
Larry Steinle 217 2 8 10 5 25

A
Rob Cooper 144 0 8 6 5 19
Carson Holmes 221 0 10 8 6 24 1st
Jerry Zang 205 0 9 7 8 24
Jim Kidwell

Re: February Smithmoor 22 match Write-Up

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Great shooting out West, but I'm starting to think Cody's range only goes to 100 Yards......... :) :wink: :wink:
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

:lol: :lol: Being able to shoot through the winter sure helps keep one's shooting ability up and ready for spring. I am awfully pleased we have been able to groom such a great bunch of shooters. Hopefully you can make it out here one day Jim.
take care, Cody
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

It's definitely on my bucket list. It's not the 2800 mile round trip with expenses; it's the cost of the ammo for a one day match.
We have a four day Regional in October that might make it more economical for you, though :) :wink: .......................
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Jim - hopefully, there is enough interest that CO can add a .22BPCR match onto the front of your Oct regional to make it 5-days.
Glenn