GA -Day 1

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SSShooter

GA -Day 1

Post by SSShooter »

Windy for the BPCR portion. Very. 32 shooters and 4 AAA scores. Congrats to John Bly with a fine 29 for the MW (shooting irons). 1st irons was Alan Rauber with a 28, followed by Ty Rice with a 25 & Tom Klinger with a 24. In scope, Woody took home 1st with a 27, followed by Glenn Davis, also with a 27 and Mark Finney with a 25 (won in a shoot-off with Kim Kelly & Doug Gazaway).

Tomorrow is BPTR mid-range. Windy, again, and starting out about 20F cooler (mid-30s). Should be fun.
Glenn
SSShooter

Re: GA -Day 1

Post by SSShooter »

Day 2 dawned clear & cold (28F), with light breezes. Once the sun was above the trees and the frost burned off the grass it felt warmer than it was. Temp climbed to 60F by the end of the match, but the clear sky made for a most pleasant day. Except for the wind. Until just before noon it was gentle zephyrs that caused little problem. But once the shooting gods were alerted that we were headed to the 300yd & 600yd lines they decided to provide us with some "interesting" winds of varying directions and the occasional gust of 15mph, or better. Not as bad as Sat, but still enough to insure one's spotter had plenty to do. In fact, if you weren't alert, you could be moved out of the 10-ring at 300yd if you were caught not paying attention. And out of the black at 600yd.

As it turned out, this was a "John Bly weekend". Still shooting irons, John followed up his MW on Sat with an excellent 100-5x, 100-4x, 94-2x for another MW with a 294-11x, beating the next highest score by 11pts. Also for the second day, 1st irons was Alan Rauber. He was followed by Ken Pointer and Tom Klinger. 1st scope was Glenn Davis, followed by Steve Cook and Woody. Sorry, but I only recall my 283-9x, but the rest of the winning scores were only 1 or 2 or a few points back.

Was a great two days with excellent & challenging weather. Congratulations to all the winners and a big thanks to Doug Gazaway and Steve Cook for running an excellent show.
Glenn
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Good Shooting! Thank you for taking time to do the match report Glenn. I wish I could have been there.
take care, Cody
Woody

Post by Woody »

Just got home from GA. Congrats to the shooting team of John Bly and Glenn Davis. John bested us all on both days with Glenn coaching and Glenn too was "In the money" both days. Congrats again.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Thx. Was a nice start to the season. Especially John's performance. Also interesting that 5 of the 7 winners each day shot a 40-65, including the three or four highest scores each day. The 40s shot well in the wind. Kim Kelly's 95-5x at 600yd was the high score at the long-line with his monster 45-90.
Glenn
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Yes, it was quite a weekend for me. That was my 1st 100 at 300 yards and the 94-2X at 600 was a high for me also. My last shot at 600 was an 8 after seven 10's and X's in a row. The shot felt good and I was disappointed when it came up an 8 but 94 is an outstanding score and I'm satisfied with it. Just two weeks ago I was speaking with some of the Army markmanship unit and they had asked what a good score at 600 was with black powder rifles. I told them that mid 90's was considered excellent and anything in the high 80's was pretty darn good.

I switched to 25/1 instead of 30/1 this year and that may have been a contributing factor but I think the biggest thing was I used the IXL heavy lollipop front aperture. At 70 years old the front aperture was fading out on me and the thick annular ring of the IXL inserts stood out and did not fade out on me so my sight picture was consistent.

Those guys in Florida will have to wait until maybe next year for me to shoot there. I was planning on being there this week but my mother in law passed away this AM and I had to return home. I was over halfway there with the shoot in GA.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

A lot of the credit has to go to my spotter Glenn. We've been shooting together long enough now we are actually starting to believe in each others' coaching ability. I just shoot when he tells me to unless I get anxious and just can't wait any longer.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
bryany

Post by bryany »

Excellent scores John, it's fun when it all comes together.

Bryan
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
COBPTR

Post by COBPTR »

Agreed, excellent shooting and spotting from both you guys.
Ya'll bring those 40's out to BPTR Nationals in August, you seem to have them dialed in!

Robert G.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Hope we can make it to Raton in August.
As John said, we both have the worst time in getting impatient while waiting for our condition to return. But, we did well on this at both the 300yd & 600yd lines this time. Only a minute or two wait at 300yd a couple times, but at one point John had to wait out a hard switch for 3-4 minutes. But, it was in the middle of his 7 shot 10/X string, so it paid off. After 70 years, we are starting to believe that patience is a virtue. :wink:
Glenn