Smithmoor Memorial Wknd Match

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Smithmoor Memorial Wknd Match

Post by jackrabbit »

Friends and fellow shooters,

It is hard to describe the feeling all of us here at the Smith farm have after an event like we had this past weekend. After several months of planning and preparation, it is strange that it is all over. It all went very well and I find myself breaking out a smile when just sitting in my chair or driving down the road. Looking around at all of our wonderful friends and family, I can't help but feel these days are limited. I am so pleased that we were able to develop and hold an event that created many memories that will last a lifetime. I know I will remember this past weekend, vividly, for many years. I can't say thank you enough to all of those that helped with the match, donated prizes, and came to shoot! I thought it was a great match and a great weekend and it would not have been possible without all of you!

The weekend went by fast and there are so many great things that happened and good stories to tell, I am afraid I may miss one or two. We pretty well had a full match, with 24 entries in. One shooter came down sick on Thursday evening and was not able to drive out, so we ended up with 23 competitors. This leaves for six relays and a full day. We were blessed with the services of professional target setters Ethan Purdum, Ryan Fogg, and Hayden Fogg. These fine young men did a superb job in keeping the range set up and painted and the match would not have gone nearly so well without them. Thank you fellas! We are hoping to be able to expand the range so we can accommodate more shooters in the future. The weather was a bit exciting on Friday evening as a pretty nasty hail storm rolled through just before dark. It didn't appear to damage any vehicles or campers at the range, but it sure beat up the crops. Several inches of marble sized hail fell, leaving the ground white for several hours. Saturday morning we woke up to a blustery, cold, spring day. As the scores reflect, it made for some really tough shooting. We had the fire burning hot in the clubhouse, and it sure made it nice to run into between relays and thaw out numbed fingers. I really thought the weather would clear out and it would be nice by lunch, but it did not happen. Strong, changing winds continued throughout the match. It was mostly a headwind, which caused a lot of frustration by creating large vertical dispersion. Our squad had to run 4-5 moa higher sight settings on rams than normal. We had lots of strange shots that left us wondering why in the world the bullet went there. As usual, there were a couple of super shooters that didn't let the conditions bother them and rose to the top. Among those was super shooter Lee Wolff winning the day one match with a 27. If you were there to see it, you were impressed! Good shooting Lee!

As usual, the food is probably the best story of the weekend. The ladies of Smithmoor, Coralee, Dawna, and Lorraine all outdid themselves this weekend. Coralee had pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw and strawberry rhubarb crisp for Saturday's lunch. We had a little bit of pulled pork left, but the strawberry rhubarb went fast! Travis and Dawna's Cal-Graf appreciation dinner was a bit hit! I know I ate too much! Smoked brisket, baked potatoes, corn, salad, rolls and cupcakes with ice cream made up the menu. The weather actually cleared up and made for a beautiful evening. We joked we should have started the match at about 5:30 pm.....the last relays would have suffered, but I guess that is the luck of the draw! Speaking of luck of the draw, Travis and Dawna donated a premium range box and a drawing was held for the shooters during the evening meal. After the drum roll and moment of anticipation, young Asa drew out and Travis announced Jim Rodebaugh's name! Jim was very pleased, to be sure. A nice treat for the evening was our neighbor and good friend, Roger Stearns and his wife Linda joining us for dinner. Roger broke out his guitar after the meal and we thoroughly enjoyed a mix of old country, classic rock, and gospel. Thank you Roger, your music was the crowning touch to a great evening! My Mom, Lorraine, prepared the meal on Sunday. She tried something new during this past shooting season, and it has turned into a favorite. She calls it Italian Sloppy Joes on garlic bread and they are great! Fruit salad, lemon bars, and cookies all complimented the meal. Thank you ladies for all the great food!!

The weather on Sunday thankfully turned out to be much better. We invited our good friends Paul and Melinda Gibson to come over Sunday morning and share a short Sunday morning message with us. We called it "Shooter's Church" and it was well attended and well received. Hopefully it will the beginning of another tradition. After church, we all stepped outside, removed our hats and faced the flag while Melinda shared her talents and blessed us with her singing the National Anthem. It was beautiful and had extra meaning on Memorial Weekend. Thank you so much to Paul and Melinda for making time for us! Relay one was then called to the line and we enjoyed a very nice day of shooting. We saw temperatures rising into the 60's with a changing breeze. It was just enough to keep your spotter on his toes.

Other events of note include the Money Gong and Turkey Lotto. For those that don't know, these are our fund raiser games we play at the matches. In Turkey Lotto, you buy one of the turkeys for 10 bucks and the total number of hits received on each turkey is recorded throughout the day. The turkey with the most hits wins half of the pot. Dick Farmer was a great guesser this time and was a co-winner each day. If two or more people tie, the money is split one more way. Dick then graciously donated his money back to the range. The Money Gong is a small gong shaped like a card game spade and hung at an unknown distance. Jack thinks it is 490 yards, and that is probably close. The ram berm is some distance behind the gong, so it is really hard to see where you are hitting. It costs a shooter $1 per shot to shoot at it with the money going into a jar. The first guy to hit the target wins half of the money in the jar. I have had a hard time getting any takers on this game. A few have tried here and there over the season, and Lee Wolff was the only one brave enough to try it this weekend. Lee laid down and fired five shots at it, coming pretty darn close several times. A small crowd had gathered and you could hear the dissension in the air. Impossible to hit, or if you did it would just be stupid luck, they thought. My rifle was handy, so I thought I would give it a try. I glanced at the wind and cranked in a few moa windage, then dropped my ram setting a couple moa. I stood at the chicken station and let one go off hand, and it went low. I reloaded and tried it again. Much to my satisfaction and to the amazement of the small crowd, the bullet drilled the gong nearly dead center. I have been laughing about it ever since! See, it's not so hard! If I can hit it offhand, you surely should be able to hit it prone! The money raised from the Turkey Lotto and Money Gong is used for range improvements. Thanks to all that played!

We didn't give awards to the day two winners, but we did announce them at the awards ceremony. Walt Farmer won A/B class with a 18 and his dad, Dick, won AA class with a 28. Good shooting guys! It is really neat to see three generations of the Farmer family come to our shoots together. Thanks for coming! Lee Wolff had another good day and won AAA class with a 28, while I was high master class with a 33. The aggregate was where the prizes and fame were really awarded! In A/B class we had John Brooker shoot his first silhouette match and win 4th place and a $50 gift certificate to DZ Arms. Third place was Walt Farmer and he won a David Barnes leather cheek piece. 2nd was Don McDowell taking home a Wyoming Sight Drifter, and Champion A class shooter, taking home the buckle, was Brian Mallin. I am pleased to see so many A class shooters! Great shooting!

AA class saw Jim Rodebaugh coming in third and taking home a Wyoming Sight Drifter. Dick Farmer was second place and won the coveted Woody's Line Box. Dick also took home the Baldwin front sight that goes to the high AA iron sight shooter. Taking the AA Class Champion buckle home was Kevin Finney. Kevin has been really working hard to improve his shooting and we were really pleased to see him win. AAA class was large and really competitive! 6th place AAA, winning a $75 DZ Arms gift certificate was Chris Stubbs. 5th AAA, winning a $100 DZ Arms gift certificate was JD Farmer, 4th AAA was Joe Kapler winning a David Barnes cheek piece, 3rd AAA was Travis Purdum taking home a Wyoming Sight Drifter, 2nd AAA was Mark Pachares winning a $50 MVA gift certificate, and our AAA Class Champion, taking home the buckle, was Lee Wolff! I thought Lee really shot well in some really tough conditions and thoroughly earned that buckle! Good Shooting AAA Class!!

In Master Class, we had four entries. Rick Moritz came in 2nd Master and won a Wyoming Sight Drifter. I (Cody Smith) with the help of Jack Odor spotting for me, ended up first master and took home the buckle for Champion Master Class. I was very proud to be able to award the Overall Champion Buckle to super shooter Jack Odor. Jack is a fierce competitor, and along with the help from his spotter Michael Rix, was able to prevail in some tough shooting conditions. Good job Jack, we are all proud of you! We chose not to break the scope and iron shooters into different classes. What we did do, however, was offer the top scope shooter and the top iron sight shooter the opportunity to shoot off for first choice of either the James Rodebaugh, Master Bladesmith, custom knife, or the case of Swiss black powder. Jack and Rick visited and decided they didn't need to shoot off as each wanted one of the prizes. Jack was very pleased to earn the beautiful knife and Rick gladly took home the powder.

We are hoping to make this an annual event and are already thinking about next year. We thoroughly enjoyed putting the match on and getting the chance to spend some time with such a bunch of great people. Throughout the year, please remember to keep our sponsors in mind as they have done so much to make this range and our matches possible. They graciously give, and give, and give, and it is very much appreciated. Be sure and check the facebook page for a bunch of great pictures!

Take care and hold center,
Cody Smith

Spring BPCR Memorial Weekend Match Sponsors
Smithmoor Range
Cal-Graf Design- Travis & Dawna Purdum
JL Rodebaugh Master Bladesmith Hand Forged Custom Knives
David Barnes
Richard Wood
MVA
SPG
Michael Rix
Wyoming Sight Drifter
Baldwin Sights
DZ Arms
Shiloh Sharps
Schuetzen Black Powder
Walters Wads
Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Co.

Smithmoor BPCR Range Sponsors
Wyoming Sight Drifter
Cal-Graf Design
JL Rodebaugh Master Bladesmith Hand Forged Custom Knives
Bryan Youngberg
Michael Rix
Don & Carol McDowell
Gary & Lorraine Smith
Cody & Coralee Smith

Day 1
Shooter Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Place
Master
Jack Odor 1 10 7 26 1st
Rick Moritz 1 10 7 5 23
Michael Rix 2 5 6 5 18
Cody Smith 6 9 6 3 24

AAA
Mark Pachares 0 8 6 9 23 1st
Chris Stubbs 0 9 6 7 22
Sam Chipps 1 4 3 3 11
JD Farmer 0 9 3 3 15
Joe Kapler 0 7 6 7 20
Paul Lawrence 0 5 2 4 11
Lee Wolff 3 10 6 8 27 MW
Travis Purdum 2 10 3 2 17

AA
Kevin Finney 0 9 8 7 24 1st
Jim Rodebaugh 1 10 3 7 21
Dick Farmer 0 9 6 4 19
Gary Smith 0 5 5 3 13

A/B
Brian Mallin 2 7 3 3 15 1st
Don McDowell 1 7 1 6 15
Carol McDowell 0 5 3 3 11
Eddie Hayes 0 4 6 2 12
John Brooker 2 8 0 4 14
Walt Farmer 1 6 2 3 12

Day 2
Master
Jack Odor 5 10 7 10 32
Rick Moritz 4 10 8 7 29
Michael Rix 1 6 4 7 18
Cody Smith 7 10 8 8 33 1st

AAA
Mark Pachares 3 10 6 5 24
Chris Stubbs 0 7 4 4 15
Sam Chipps 1 10 7 0 18
JD Farmer 1 10 5 8 24
Joe Kapler 0 8 4 9 21
Paul Lawrence 1 9 9 6 25
Lee Wolff 3 9 7 9 28 1st
Travis Purdum 1 10 7 7 25

AA
Kevin Finney 2 8 6 9 25
Jim Rodebaugh 3 7 6 7 23
Dick Farmer 4 9 7 8 28 1st
Gary Smith 0 8 4 3 15
Steve Anderson 1 7 6 6 20

A/B
Brian Mallin 0 7 3 7 17
Don McDowell 2 6 5 3 16
Carol McDowell 0 3 1 4 8
Eddie Hayes 0 4 4 5 13
John Brooker 1 2 5 6 14
Walt Farmer 1 10 3 4 18 1st

Aggregate
Master
Jack Odor 6 20 14 18 58 MW High Iron
Rick Moritz 5 20 15 12 52 2nd High Scope
Michael Rix 3 11 10 12 36
Cody Smith 13 19 14 11 57 1st

AAA
Mark Pachares 3 18 12 14 47 2nd
Chris Stubbs 0 16 10 11 37 6th
Sam Chipps 2 14 10 3 29
JD Farmer 1 19 8 11 39 5th
Joe Kapler 0 15 10 16 41 4th
Paul Lawrence 1 14 11 10 36
Lee Wolff 3 19 13 17 55 1st
Travis Purdum 3 20 10 9 42 3rd

AA
Kevin Finney 2 17 14 16 49 1st
Jim Rodebaugh 4 17 9 14 44 3rd
Dick Farmer 4 18 13 12 47 2nd
Gary Smith 0 13 9 6 28
Steve Anderson 1 7 6 6 20

A/B
Brian Mallin 2 14 6 10 32 1st
Don McDowell 3 13 6 9 31 2nd
Carol McDowell 0 8 4 7 19
Eddie Hayes 0 8 10 7 25
John Brooker 3 10 5 10 28 4th
Walt Farmer 2 16 5 7 30 3rd
powderburner

Re: Smithmoor Memorial Wknd Match

Post by powderburner »

Cody , you always write up such a good Recap of events , good job thanks for sharing,
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
LazyM

Re: Smithmoor Memorial Wknd Match

Post by LazyM »

I want to thank the entire Smith family for putting on this shoot. For anyone who hasn't had the chance to attend one of their shoots, it ranks up their with the best. The atmosphere, camaraderie, competitors, all make it a great shoot. I have to thank Cody, et. al. for the amazing awards.

I'd be remiss to also not thank all the competitors who have challenged me to get better, to learn the sport, and compete.

What an absolutely wonderful event! Thank you all!

Brian