The American Creedmoor Cup Lodi, WI 2017

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Distant Thunder

The American Creedmoor Cup Lodi, WI 2017

Post by Distant Thunder »

The American Creedmoor Cup, arguably one of the most challenging BPCR matches in the USA, was held at Lodi, WI on June 8th & 9th. As with all matches at Lodi it was a great match shot on a great range.

The attendance was not what a match of this type deserves, for that I blame all those who could have and should have been there, but didn't show up. When matches like this are no longer held in this country you will only have yourselves to blame. I don't even want to see posts whining about how there aren't any matches to go to anymore. That's all I'll have to say about that, I hope.

Those that did show represented a diverse group of BPCR shooters, some with many years of experience and some with less, all that I talked to throughout the match and afterwards had something positive that they took from the experience. I know that I learned some new things and gain some much needed experience reading some pretty tricky conditions. I also got to know some of other shooters a little better during the evening discussions of the day’s activities while medicinally applying many tasty brews to ease the pain of a few hard lessons learned or relearned.

The conditions were certainly not severe or brutal, but they were challenging and they made you pay if you didn’t keep your brain in gear and pay close attention. There were enough head and tailwinds in the mix to push you just over or just under the target if you didn’t see them in time. The many reversals made tens into sixes or worse if they happened between the scope and getting into the rifle and breaking your shot. The 20 minute time limit is more than enough for the 3 sighters and 10 shots for record, at least until there is a little hiccup in the system, then the time goes twice as fast. I found myself trying to break a good shot with less than minute to go more than once and one of those shots went down range with only a handful of seconds to spare. I enjoyed the whole thing even more than I thought I was going to and I look forward to doing it again. Everyone I spoke to felt the same way, but we need more participants if there are going to continue to be matches like this, 13 people is not enough to make it possible to use a quality range like the one at Lodi. That is a fact.

So this is the way it finished up:

1st place and American Creedmoor Cup Champion is Zach Taylor with a grand aggregate score of 515-6X

2nd place was Mark Schuenke with a score of 508-8X

3rd place was Cliff Gregg with a score of 504-5X

Obviously it was close and every shot was important right down to the last. Congratulations to Zach for some very fine shooting. I was on the same target with Zach and Mark on Sunday and they certainly had to work for it, the conditions didn’t give any points. I was on the next target over on Sunday when Cliff shot his 94-1X at 900 yards and it was pretty impressive to watch. Good job guys!

The rest of the shooters finished as follows:

4th place Jim Kluskens (PP) with a score of 486-7X

5th place Brent Danielson (PP) with a score of 459-6X

6th place Ron Walters with a score of 410-1X

7th place John Rousonelos with a score of 389-1X

8th place Ed Force with a score of 383-6X

9th Bill Powell with a score of 380

10th place Rick Chianelli (PP) with a score of 380

11th place Ernie Villegas (Scope) with a score of 331-1X

12th place Paul Gritmacker with a score of 226-2X

13th Ed “Chief“ Nezwirski (Scope & PP) with a score of 152, Chief shot just the first day.

I’ll be back next year and with my first Cup match behind me I will be better prepared to give the top dogs a run for their money.
I do hope we have more of a turnout next year so we can keep this match going here at Lodi. Come and join us if you can, your participation would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Kluskens, a.k.a. Distant Thunder
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
COBPTR

Re: The American Creedmoor Cup Lodi, WI 2017

Post by COBPTR »

Congratulations to Mr. Taylor!
Thanks to Cliff and Mark and all the others that made it happen. Also Congrats on your 2nd & 3rd place finishes.
Best match in the country to test the ultimate BPTRifleman.
See ya'll next year.

Robert G.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

all hail to thee oh mighty zack.
the man can put his bullets where his mouth is.
congrats to all shooters on doing their best. as we all know, there is more to long range than meets the eye.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Distant Thunder

The few really good shooters wouldn't have a place to show off their skills if not for the many shooters who show up again and again hoping to improve over their previous scores while knowing they may never take home a grand aggregate trophy, but dreaming they may come close some day. Those are the shooters we need more of. They put as much or more work into their scores that will never be noticed or recognized and give it their best too. They are as important to this sport that we all love as the guy who wins and proudly takes the trophy. Here's to the many that also shot, not just the winners. Thank you for continuing to support the great sports of BPCR!

Thank them and give them the recognition they deserve.

JK1
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

absolutely jk1. (or jk2 or whatever)
one thing with long range is that no one person wins it all the time. it is not that kind of game.
there are a number of people that statistically have a chance to win.
but it is not about winning as much as improving, and there is only one way to do that.
baptism by fire.
no instant gratification in this game :!:
to get into that upper echelon you have to work at it, and any improvement is to be applauded at any level.
the camaraderie of these matches is wonderful to be involved in.
the better shooters know what it took to get there, and respect the others, usually sharing tips.
I believe this match was self coached, and as such is the pinnacle of long range shooting.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Distant Thunder

Bruce,
You are exactly correct, you get 20 minutes and once you touch paper you have 2 more sighters and 10 shots for record and​ you are totally on your own, just you, the conditions and a very distant target (800, 900 & 1000 yards).
I'm sure that scares some off, but it shouldn't because you can learn so much more shooting without a coach than you can just relying on someone else to call the shots. I enjoy the team aspect of shooting with a coach, but there a great sense of satisfaction when you get it right on your own with just your rifle and your own skills. I found the challenge to be well worth the time and effort. I think a lot of people would too if they just came and tried it. You still get to learn from the better shooters and you get apply that to the real world. It's great stuff.

JK1
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Hey Jim, thanks for the writeup and all the good info on the match! I think it is terribly important to make an effort to report the events of the weekend. It may be one of the single easiest and cheapest ways to promote a match. Even those that may never be able to come still enjoy reading about it, as well as talking to other folks about it who may make it out one day.

As a lifelong shooter who has promoted multiple different types of shooting events, and a current BPCR match director, I have often shared your feelings of disappointment in low attendance. People often thank me for putting on matches (which I very much appreciate), and I always tell them thank you back. I truly mean it as it is so frustrating and disappointing to go to all the work of organizing and holding a match, and then have only a few folks show up. That being said, I think it is a mistake in trying to shame people into coming and I would caution against it. By doing so, you have turned off nearly every reader, except the 13 that showed up. I truly think there are many people that would like to be there, they just either can't make it or can't seem to make it a priority. Focus on the positive side and spend more time promoting the match before and after. There are lots of free, easy ways to do it. Use pictures to show the great facilities, the prizes, the fun everyone is having. Consider having meals, somehow. All of our shooter feedback seems to indicate the food really helps make the match. Have some good dates, and keep holding it and promoting it. Keep trying different things, but always, always, keep promoting it positively and keep people talking about it. Make it a big deal to win it and find ways to get those that didn't win to feel like they had a great weekend. It will grow.

I want all of our matches and our sport in general to grow, especially BPCR and BPTR events, and am only trying to help and offer my experience, so please don't be offended. Please contact me if there is anything I can do to help.
take care and thanks for the writeup, Cody Smith
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Congratulations Zack :!:
Will this match be held on the same week next year?
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Distant Thunder

Rockslinger,

That question will need to be answered by either Cliff or Mark. We did have a shooter's meeting Friday after the match and we discussed what changes might be made to encourage more people to come. There was a general feeling that June is probably not the best timing for this match, but they are really limited in their choice of dates as they don't set the range schedule, they have to play the cards they are dealt. I do think they will try to move it to May. They tried to have it in May this time it just wasn't possible. The more shooters that participate the more cards they have to work with in picking dates. If more shooters don't come and shoot next year will be the last Cup match at Lodi and I have no idea what the future of such a match would be. More shooters need to come to this match!

Lodi is an absolutely a great range to shoot and this is a match that needs to take place. There have got to be enough shooters who want to shoot long range that are within a reasonable driving distance to make this possible. I know that many from other more distant parts of the country won't be able to make the trip, I understand that. I don't travel as far as or as often as I used to either, but if the trip is possible for you please come. I can all but guarantee you won't be disappointed in this range or this match. Long range BPCR, or BPTR if you prefer, doesn't get any better than this.

JK1
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Distant Thunder

Cody,

Certainly on offense taken, this is exactly what I want, a discussion on the dwindling attendance and what we can do. Thank you for your reply.

Next, I apologize for my putting any shame on those who didn't attend for what ever reason. I don't get to all the matches I'd like to either and I am guilty of not making it to some that I have in the past. If I did offend anyone I am sorry, that's not really what I wanted. If it draws some attention then maybe it's not a bad thing. I'll do better going forward.

I just felt a sense of frustration that I know others feel too. It would be hard, no, impossible to just sit quietly on the sidelines and watch this sport fade and die. I can not do that.

I'm not good with computers or the internet and this site presents several problems for me, but I feel it is the best place to put this out so it will be seen by many shooters. I just have to control my passion for my sport a little better and choose my words more carefully. Difficult but not impossible for me.

I do appreciate your offer of assistance and I accept. We should talk.

In the end, if people get mad at me because I approached this awkwardly or poorly I'll have to accept that. That I can do if the match draws more participants next year. I did this on my own, neither Cliff nor Mark know anything about this. If you are offended by what I have said take it out on me. Please don't take it out on them or the Cup match, that would be misdirected. Please do try to understand what I was trying to do here.

Jim Kluskens
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Hey Jim, I understand perfectly well what you are trying to do and know exactly how you feel. I love this sport as much as you do and sincerely want to do everything possible to keep it going, and maybe even grow it. I don't think you have offended anyone, I just wanted to help your match be successful, and thought I needed to point out a flaw I saw. I want all BPCR and BPTR matches to grow and thrive and although many matches are suffering decreased attendance, I do not believe the sport is dying. The matches that are run well, have good dates, have good prizes and trophies, offer food and entertainment, and are well publicized and promoted are still doing well. I think it used to be that just having a match would attract a bunch of shooters, but for whatever reason, today it requires a little more. I thoroughly enjoy putting on the matches and I get as much satisfaction out of seeing our shooters do well and have fun as I do shooting well myself.
take care, Cody
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Distant Thunder wrote:Rockslinger,

That question will need to be answered by either Cliff or Mark. We did have a shooter's meeting Friday after the match and we discussed what changes might be made to encourage more people to come. There was a general feeling that June is probably not the best timing for this match, but they are really limited in their choice of dates as they don't set the range schedule, they have to play the cards they are dealt. I do think they will try to move it to May. They tried to have it in May this time it just wasn't possible. The more shooters that participate the more cards they have to work with in picking dates. If more shooters don't come and shoot next year will be the last Cup match at Lodi and I have no idea what the future of such a match would be. More shooters need to come to this match!

Lodi is an absolutely a great range to shoot and this is a match that needs to take place. There have got to be enough shooters who want to shoot long range that are within a reasonable driving distance to make this possible. I know that many from other more distant parts of the country won't be able to make the trip, I understand that. I don't travel as far as or as often as I used to either, but if the trip is possible for you please come. I can all but guarantee you won't be disappointed in this range or this match. Long range BPCR, or BPTR if you prefer, doesn't get any better than this.

JK1
Had the announcement for this match came just a few days earlier, I would likely have been in attendance. But as things worked out, I had already sent entries to the 22 bpcr regional. Had I of told my wife, sorry honey but I dropped us from the 22 match so I can go to Lodi to shoot the Cup match, I'm fairly certain my widow would of had most of my guns sold by now... Altho good friend desert deuce assures me he's fairly certain he could of talked her into giving him at least 2 of them. :?
At any rate it is on the list for next year.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

don,
2 choices.
widow or ex wife.
either thing is to be avoided at all costs.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yessir, learned that one a couple of decades ago. :lol:
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Were there other TR matches run?..................
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………