2017 Rocky Mountain Regional 22 BPCR Match

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

2017 Rocky Mountain Regional 22 BPCR Match

Post by jackrabbit »

Fellow shooters,

Well, the Rocky Mountain Regional 22 BPCR Match has came and went! As usual, it drew many of the top shooters from the region, had great trophies and prizes, super food, intense competition, and great comradeship. This year my family was very pleased to be able to host Dick Hennebry and his crew at our Smithmoor Range in Carpenter Wyoming. Dick's organization skills are second to none and the match ran flawless. It was rather strange (and nice!) shooting on our home range and not being in charge of anything. As you can see in the photos, we built white target backers and rails and placed them out on the big bore range. Only the rams used a dirt berm. Overall, I was very pleased with how the facilities worked. The clubhouse and covered firing line really contributed to the success of the match and the uncrowded expanse of the range made it comfortable to camp and relax.

My folks, Gary and Lorraine Smith, fixed some super lunches. Saturday's fare was a traditional cream can dinner. These have been a tradition around Carpenter for many, many years and are always popular. Sunday's menu consisted of barbecue country pork ribs on buns, home made coleslaw, watermelon, with frosted banana bars for desert. I thought it was all a home run!

The weather left a little to be desired, but it wasn't that bad. It made for some challenging conditions, and some good scores were still shot. The complete scores can be viewed in the photos on the Smithmoor Range facebook page, but to summarize Kevin Griggs wiped up the first day. He cleaned all the lay downs and shot four chickens with both iron sights and scope! Wow! This made Kevin the overall match winner, while I was high overall irons and Dick Hennebry was high overall scope. Day two had some tough winds in the morning and resulted in myself being high overall for the day with Jim Rodebaugh being high scope and Kevin Griggs grasping high irons.

Aggregate is where it gets exciting! It came down to the wire on several of the awards and it took shootoffs to decide them. A class scope went to junior super shooter Wyatt Day, AA went to Gary Smith, AAA went to Kevin Finney, master went to Kevin Griggs, and overall high scope aggregate went to a very pleased Jim Rodebaugh.

In iron sight class, A class was won by Eddie Hayes, AA went to Logan Eliason, AAA to Michael Rix, Master to Jack Odor, and overall iron sight high aggregate went to Kevin Griggs. With the help of my trusty spotter, Coralee, I was able to prevail and took home the Cal-Graf Custom Range box and buckle for Overall Regional Champion. Yahoo!!

Other events of note include Saturday's after match red-headed turkey contest. Harold Forcum donated one of his very nice, coveted, custom range boxes to be the prize for a side match. Some of the turkeys had a read head painted on them and if you entered the contest before the match and hit one during the match you were eligible to compete in a turkey shootoff afterwards. I was very pleased to be able to prevail after three rounds of shootoffs and take home the box. A big thank you goes out to Harold!

Also of big note was Jim Rodebaugh's knife. Jim is a full time, professional Master Bladesmith and board member of the American Bladesmith Society. It is a big deal and Jim's knives are among the very best that money can buy. As you can imagine, they are expensive and the waiting list is long. Jim graciously donated one made especially for this match. He hosted a "hammer in" at his shop earlier this year where a bunch of us all got to watch the initial forging process happen. It was pretty neat for sure. The knife ended up being a Damascus hunter with an inlaid silver ram on the handle, custom filework on the hilt, and a handmade leather basketweave sheath. It was valued at $1,350 and was given away in a random drawing to the shooters. A very pleased Logan Eliason was the proud new owner. A giant thank you goes out to Jim and Congratulations to Logan, you lucky sucker you!

take care and hold center, Cody Smith
hueyw

Re: 2017 Rocky Mountain Regional 22 BPCR Match

Post by hueyw »

this was a great match! sweet range, good people, well run. thanks to dick hennebry. thanks to the smith families
and all the other people who helped get the range ready.
hugh wilson