2017 NW Regional Championship

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Del

2017 NW Regional Championship

Post by Del »

The 2017 NW Regional Championship competition was finished last weekend and we had a great match. The weather was overcast and somewhat dark for all three days but there was virtually no wind with which to contend. Rain Thursday night made the berms dark for Friday but we kept the targets black as we were shooting scopes and later in the day the berms dried out pretty well. Saturday and Sunday the berms were a little dark still when the dirt would get turned over by a missed shot but the biggest issue was the lack of wind or a breeze to blow the smoke away. So we had basically zero wind but vision was difficult.

Friday the scope scores were pretty good. 1st Overall for the scope match went to Dave Heninger who shoot all his laydowns and 4 chickens for a 34. Rick Moritz took second place by also shooting all his laydowns but only three chickens for a 33. We also had six shooters shooting a 31 for the shootouts for 3rd overall and then for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Master. Lots of chickens were shot. Rick Moritz commented that he didn't think he had ever seen 6 shooters in a shootout for a single position before. Made for an interesting final!! Those shooters with a 31 were Howard Smith, Dave Eichenlaub, Steve Neustom, Dave Yount, Darrell Smithson, and John Eder. John was a happy boy coming out on top!!

With the smoke issue, scores for Saturday and Sunday's iron sight match were several animals lower than the scope scores but the shooting was still great! Howard Smith took 1st Overall with a 30. We had a shootout for 2nd and 3rd overall on Saturday between Don Claridge and Ron Radmer both with 29s and Ron came out with the shootout win.

We had an awards ceremony immediately following the match to give out the overall awards for Saturday, then gave away door prizes from many vendors who graciously donated prizes, and then had a nice barbecue following with the Hellgate Civilian Shooters gun club supplying burgers, dogs, and condiments/utensils. A nice top off to a good day of shooting.

Sunday was a repeat of Saturday pretty much but the berms were drier. The sky was still pretty overcast so vision was still a limiting factor. Howard again won 1st Overall with a score of 34 and John MacGillivray took second with a 31 and Ron again shooting well to take 3rd with a 30.

Howard Smith won the Aggregate Overall with a score of 64. We did require a shootoff for 2nd and 3rd Overall for the two day aggregate between John and Ron with aggregate scores of 59. John took the shootoff. We also required a shootoff for 1st and 2nd Master between Rick Moritz and Darrell Smithson with Rick winning that shootoff. 3rd Master went to Dave Heninger with a 56. Dan Smrdel won the AAA class with a score of 54, Dennis Mitchell came in 2nd with a 53, and Charles Cumming came in 3rd with a 52. AA was won by Amber Spratling with a 48, with John Eder coming in 2nd with a 46. Wesley Spratling came in 1st Overall for the A class as well as the Junior Shooter Award.

Our Super Senior Overall winner was Dave Yount with a 55, Senior Overall winner was Rick Moritz with a 57, and our High Woman shooter was Amber Spratling with a 48.

We also gave out an Overall Iron Man award for all three days and the winner of this was Howard Smith with a 95. Good shooting Howard!!! We also had some pretty good chicken shooting with both Howard Smith and Ray Hanson shooting 7 chickens on Sunday with Ray also getting a 5 Chickens in a row pin. The Chicken Killer award though ended up going to Lee Lewis who shot 14 chickens overall for all three days. When I grow up I want to shoot like Lee!!

A great match overall. Although it was overcast and somewhat hard to see, it only spit a little rain on the target setters on Friday. Temperatures ran in the 60s to 70s and the mosquitos weren't too terribly bad. Lots of fun. Now onto Butte for the Montana State Championship, then Raton!

Here's the scores:

Friday Scope Match: http://www.mtbpcr.com/2017NWRegionalScopeFinal.pdf

Saturday and Sunday Iron Match: http://www.mtbpcr.com/2017NWRegionalIronFinal.pdf
Fortune Favors the Bold...
jackrabbit

Re: 2017 NW Regional Championship

Post by jackrabbit »

Thanks for the great write-up Del! I wish I could have been there.
Raymond Hanson

Post by Raymond Hanson »

Del You put on a fine match! It was a lot of fun to visit and shoot in Missoula. Take care Raymond and Margo Hanson
Del

Post by Del »

Raymond Hanson wrote:Del You put on a fine match! It was a lot of fun to visit and shoot in Missoula. Take care Raymond and Margo Hanson
Thanks Ray! Glad you could make it. Congrats on the 7 chickens!!! Hope you can make it again. Maybe next time we can turn some lights and a little wind on for you! I sound like Bill Bodett!
Fortune Favors the Bold...