Raton 2017 BPCR Scores

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SSShooter

Raton 2017 BPCR Scores

Post by SSShooter »

Anyone had a report? This should have been the last day. If I read the Facebook post correctly (no guarantee - I'm not a facebooker), Rick Moritz won the .22BPCR scope and Kevin Greggs won the irons. But, haven't heard anything about the big bore matches.
Glenn
BFD

Re: Raton 2017 BPCR Scores

Post by BFD »

BPCR-SCOPE won by BrIan Chilson (103)
BPCR-IRONS won by Ty Rice (48)
Irons was shortened to one day due to dramatic weather.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Congrats to both. Good to see Brian hasn't 'lost his eye' and Ty has really come into his own (think it is in his genes) last year and this. Too bad about the last day. Is a long drive for most of the competitors.
Glenn
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Here's a post from Debra Chilson - "Congratulations to the Rice family!! Ty Rice, 2017 National BPCR iron sight winner! Gabe Rice, high junior, Samantha Rice, high woman, Brad Rice gold medal spotter. Father, son & daughter and grandson. Beautiful family, great competitors!!"
Glenn
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Congrats to the winners! Is 103 a new record? If not it is mighty close. We shot next to the Rice family last year in the iron sight match. They are a real nice bunch of people. We get to shoot against Ty some here in the East, in GA and Indiana. He is always a tough competitor. I'm glad that he won the BIG one.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Woody

Post by Woody »

I got to shoot next to the four Rice shooters this year John. A great bunch. I've known them all since I started this journey many years ago. Sammy drove my A Model at Raton the year she got her driver's license.

Jim Shride coached our very own Ken Pointer, aka: Choken, into a first AAA position in iron sight.

Congrats all who attended.

Always great to see and refresh with my "Once a year", friends.

To give you guys an idea how difficult it got yesterday, I was shooting rams as the storm front approached. I got the first 4 missing number five as the front hit us. After the reset, we dialed 5 minutes of left and missed off the right. Dialed another 5 and again missed. Dialed another 5 and added 2 up. Hit number 3, then missed 4 and 5 low. That's when the match was called. Heavy rain, lightning, and wind made for unsafe conditions, and although I hated to see the match end, I understood.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

The thunderstorm and rain conditions described are called the Monsoon and can be tracked on weatherundergound.

https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fi ... new+mexico

the monsoon season for Raton may occur from about June 25th to August 20th, and is highlighted by thunder, lightning and occasionally torrential downpours and/or frequent isolated thunderstorms. Damaging hail occurs occasionally in significant amounts. Localized high winds to hurricane strength and above are occasional as observed locally as are microbursts.

The monsoon is not to be confused with intermittent weather patterns that can also bring rain to the area.

Historically, this weather pattern is well established.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Woody

Post by Woody »

Back home again. Some success and some failures. At least no breakdowns of any kind this trip. I shot the levergun rifle caliber match and won my class both days and so also the agg. I don't shoot this game so my class is only A. Couldn't come close to shooting my class (Master) in the scope BPCR matches. Shot AA both days. Shot a 39/60 in the iron matches. If what I saw on score board was correct, I think I placed third AAA, my class in iron. Nothing past first was recognized per class in this abbreviated Nationals. Choken, Jim Shride, and I also won AAA team award. So all said and done, I still had a large time and can't wait for next year.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Woody

Post by Woody »

Back home again. Some success and some failures. At least no breakdowns of any kind this trip. I shot the levergun rifle caliber match and won my class both days and so also the agg. I don't shoot this game so my class is only A. Couldn't come close to shooting my class (Master) in the scope BPCR matches. Shot AA both days. Shot a 39/60 in the iron matches. If what I saw on score board was correct, I think I placed third AAA, my class in iron. Nothing past first was recognized per class in this abbreviated Nationals. Choken, Jim Shride, and I also won AAA team award. So all said and done, I still had a large time and can't wait for next year.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
BFD

Post by BFD »

How many chickens did you get in Irons, Woody? I too had a 39 with 3 or 4 as I recall. there was another 41 and probably a handful of 40s and 39s in AAA I think.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

John Bly wrote:Congrats to the winners! Is 103 a new record?
Per the NRA records, Brian shot a 103 in scope and a 104 in irons in 2010, so he tied his previous best in scope.
Glenn
Woody

Post by Woody »

I got five. There was one other 41 that Ken beat via his six chickens and there were no 40's that I recall. I think there were three other 39's, all with less than five chickens. We will have to wait to see the official results, as I didn't think to photo the scoreboard, until it had been had been taken down.

Brent, Again, thanks for spotting for me during the levergun match.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
BFD

Post by BFD »

I'm sure 5 chicks beats me.

No problem with the spotting. Lever gun spotting is a whole 'nother animal compared to BPCR. Al and I had a good time with you and Del and Ryan. We could do it again next year - if there is a next year. For now, I just wait. And hope.
Del

Post by Del »

BFD wrote:I'm sure 5 chicks beats me.

No problem with the spotting. Lever gun spotting is a whole 'nother animal compared to BPCR. Al and I had a good time with you and Del and Ryan. We could do it again next year - if there is a next year. For now, I just wait. And hope.
Brent, had a good time too shooting and visiting with you, Al, Woody, and Ryan as well! Hope to be able to do it again next year but it should be three weeks later if the Whittington Center schedule is at all accurate. They show the days are, starting with Lever Gun, on July 24th and ending on August 3rd with BPCR. Will be a lot better time of year for me so I hope it comes off that way.

As you know, I didn't shoot the last day Friday (other than chickens to finish Thursday's match but ended that effort with a big fat zero!!!) but it sounds like I didn't miss much. How many relays did they get through before that day's deluge hit?
Fortune Favors the Bold...
BFD

Post by BFD »

Del wrote:
BFD wrote:I'm sure 5 chicks beats me.

Brent, had a good time too shooting and visiting with you, Al, Woody, and Ryan as well! Hope to be able to do it again next year but it should be three weeks later if the Whittington Center schedule is at all accurate. They show the days are, starting with Lever Gun, on July 24th and ending on August 3rd with BPCR. Will be a lot better time of year for me so I hope it comes off that way.

As you know, I didn't shoot the last day Friday (other than chickens to finish Thursday's match but ended that effort with a big fat zero!!!) but it sounds like I didn't miss much. How many relays did they get through before that day's deluge hit?
If it is later next year, that's fine with me. I'll make it work. If it happens before September, I'll be there. Personally, I don't trust their calendar until at least January.

I think we came about 1.5 animals short on the match. I shot my chickens and pigs (got 4 chickens and was just getting into it when I realized that I didn't get a 3rd bank :( ) I recall shooting turkeys (or was that the first day?) but not my rams. I think there were still one or two relays waiting to shoot their 3rd animal, but I can't recall exactly when they shut it down. I was too far out of it by then to be paying strict attention.

Brent