Smithmoor November 22 Match

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Smithmoor November 22 Match

Post by jackrabbit »

Fellow Shooters,

What a match! We had 28 entries yesterday and I can't think of any better way to celebrate Veteran's Day. I felt quite honored to have the opportunity to present a small Veteran's Day program for our shooters. One of my favorite bible verses is John 15:13 which says "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." I can't help but think about the many veterans that served their country to protect our freedom when I read it. They not only laid down their life for their friends in battle, but they laid down their life for all of us here at home. Many times when I thank a veteran for their service, they comment that they were only a truck driver or they never left the states. That does not matter! The fact remains that you answered the call for service and would have done whatever was asked of you to protect our country. You have our respect and admiration regardless of how you served. Thank you does not seem like nearly enough, but it is the best we have so Thank You! We were blessed to be able to share our day with six veterans yesterday. They were:
Gary Smith
Dave McNulty
Dick Hennebry
Mark Pachares
Keith Kelly
Tom Wengh

The ladies of Smithmoor (Coralee, Bev, and Grace) outdid themselves yet again. Beef, barley, and vegetable soup, home made sour dough rolls (80 of them!), warm home made apple sauce, salami and cheese slices, apple wedges, and Grace's Oops Daisy orange cake for desert. Young Grace found that recipe awhile back and had been looking forward to making it for the shooters. She was quite pleased it turned out well and everyone seemed to like it. There was a bunch of food, and only crumbs were left. Rumor has it Coralee caught a couple of guys licking the pots and pans after the match, but ran off before she could figure out who they were.... Roger Stearns also dropped by with a big plate of chocolate chip cookies which were gone in no time. Thank you to all of our generous cooks! The donut bandit also struck again. Some generous soul must know how much I like donuts and often brings a box of them to share. I can't seem to figure out who it is, but I and everyone else much appreciate the morning snack with our coffee.

We actually had 30 entries, but two shooters were unable to come at the last moment. 30 is the most we will be able to handle without expanding the facility. If we keep getting near that mark, we may have to! We ran 6 relays on 5 targets. Ethan Purdum volunteered to help set targets, and along with the shooters helping out, I think it was the only way we got done before dark. The last two relays it was getting pretty shadowy, but we got done. We set up a donation can for Ethan and everyone was very generous, Thank you! The fifth target is a paper bullseye. We were able to put it at 200 yards by using some splatter type targets and a round, steel gong to sight in on. We had been shooting it at 100 yards because that was the farthest we could reliably see the bullet holes. I think our system worked well at 200 and we will do it again. The weather in the morning was very nice with no wind, 50+ degrees, and sunny skies. The wind picked up and cloud cover came over around noon, which made it much chillier and more challenging to hit the targets. We kept the stove burning hot in the shed, and it was a popular place to hang out.

We had some great shooting go on this month and I was very pleased about several things. Coralee shot a career best of 32 yesterday, winning AAA class. I think everyone there was so happy and proud of her. I don't know how she does it as she is constantly running around keeping me in order, making and fussing over the food, keeping an eye on 3 kiddos, and snapping a pile of pictures throughout the day. On top of all that, she shoots a master score, besting most of the folks there. An amazing woman she is! Some other great news is we had three junior shooters! Gus Robertson came down from Gillette with Kenny and Kenny helped him shoot a super score of 22 for his first match ever, putting him in AA class. Gus took home a first place pin and gold coin for being high junior. We were also pleased to have Weston Rix come shoot with us again, and young Chase Sauer also shot his first match. I am sure Chase will soon be a tough competitor as he took the match very seriously and did very well. It is great to see junior shooters and we will be tracking their scores throughout the season to award a series junior champion in the spring. Dick Farmer was pleased to win AA with a 26, beating out my Dad, Gary, on chicken count. Dad didn't mind so much as he was the winner of the turkey lotto this month and shot his third AAA score which will move him up next match. Steve Anderson also shot his third master score and will be moving up next month. Carol McDowell shot very well yesterday and was able to be 1st place in A class with a 22. Good Shooting Carol! Dick Hennebry shot a very respectable 93 on the paper target in the wind. I was impressed as there were some tough conditions when he shot it. Michael Rix was our master class winner with a 32. I hate to mention myself much, but I did want to say how pleased I was to shoot 7 chickens yesterday and with Michael Rix's help in spotting was able to shoot a 33 to be match winner. The range record of 6 has held for some time and I have been trying to break it for a while. Now to get 8.... We also had four new shooters this month, Darrel, Keith, Gus, and Chase. I hope you guys had fun and will come back and shoot with us again.

A couple of notes on the schedule. Most importantly, the December 22 match will be on the THIRD Saturday in December (the 16th). Michael Rix and I are planning to go to Butte Montana to shoot the Jim Gier Memorial Schuetzen Match on the second weekend and we need to move the 22 match. In the old days, there was an intense competitive rivalry between the Cheyenne, Denver, and Butte riflemen, and it is fun to think we may be rekindling that fire. Thank you to the shooters for understanding our change in schedule. There will be no big bore match in December. We will hopefully be having the November big bore match next Saturday (the 18th), providing we have decent weather. At this point, the forecast looks promising. We are also thinking to have a schuetzen match the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We will do some more planning on that early in Thanksgiving week.

There are a lot of thank-you's this month, but I want to sincerely express my appreciation for all of the support we get from the shooters. Shooters were very generous with the donation can this month, and it is much appreciated. I promise it will all be put to good use maintaining the range, buying food, doing range improvements, and funding our largest single expense which is range insurance. The money, the attendance, all of the positive comments and suggestions, and the friendships all make it an honor to serve our shooters. Thank you all for the support and for coming out to shoot! Check out the Smithmoor Range facebook page for photos.
Take care my friends, Cody Smith
Smithmoor Range, Carpenter Wyoming

Shooter Paper Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Place
Master
Michael Rix 76 3 9 10 10 32 1st
Dick Hennebry 93 2 10 10 9 31 High Paper Target
Bryan Youngberg 86 1 10 10 10 31
Cody Smith 82 7 9 9 8 33 MW
Kenny Wasserburger 85-2X 1 10 10 9 30

AAA
Travis Purdum 82 1 10 8 10 29
JD Farmer 76 2 10 9 9 30
Coralee Smith 90 3 10 10 9 32 1st
Robert Garibay 89-1X 1 8 9 9 27
Tom Reed 39 3 9 8 7 27
Weston Rix 29 0 8 7 6 21
Kevin Finney 82-1X 3 10 10 9 32
Mark Pachares 80-1X 3 8 8 9 28
Cecil Sauer 84 2 10 7 8 27
Tom Wengh 87-1X 1 7 9 9 26
Steve Anderson 87 4 10 10 7 31 (moves to master)

AA
Don McDowell 82 1 7 7 2 17
Gary Smith 75 0 9 8 9 26 (moves to AAA)
Dick Farmer 83 4 9 7 6 26 1st
Mike Venard 60 0 9 7 7 23
Jerry Zang 53 0 7 6 8 21
Gus Robertson 77-1X 0 6 7 9 22

A
Carol McDowell 45 1 8 8 5 22 1st
Walt Farmer 73 0 6 8 7 21
Darrel Ritchie 70 1 4 4 4 13
Chase Sauer 5 0 3 4 1 8

Modern
Jeff Demott 40 0 6 5 2 13
Keith Kelly 42 1 7 6 4 18
Woody

Re: Smithmoor November 22 Match

Post by Woody »

Cody,

Great write-up. Wish I lived closer. You guys are having too much fun.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Thank you, Woody. Someday it will work out you can come shoot with us, I hope!
Del

Post by Del »

Whew, Cody!!! Somebody teach you to hit all your laydowns and you might compete with our guy, Lee Lewis! Good chicken killin'!!

See you in Butte and drive careful...
Fortune Favors the Bold...