Smithmoor November Big Bore Match

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Smithmoor November Big Bore Match

Post by jackrabbit »

Fellow Shooters,

We had nine brave and gallant riflemen show up to compete yesterday. Four or five others were signed up, but were unable to make it at the last moment. Dick Hennebry also came out early, but he graciously stepped out when he saw that 10 entries would either make 4 relays and drag the match out, or 2 relays which left no one the chance to go warm up. 9 entries made for three relays of 3 shooters and worked out well on the cool day. The weather conditions for the day did not ever get as nice as was predicted and I had hoped they would be, but we still had an enjoyable day. There was a stiff breeze coming across the range from left to right. Later in the day it built to the point that we had to use the spring clamps on the targets. For those that don't know, a year or so ago we figured out that some cheap, metal, squeezable spring clamps from Menards work really well to hold the animals on the rails. They go on easy, seem to hold the animals even in some pretty stiff wind, only cost a dollar or so apiece, and the animals still fall off fairly reliably when hit. Occasionally, we get a ram that won't go over but we allow the hit to count for score as long as there is a 1/2 bullet strike or more on the target. Most of the match the temperature was in the mid 30's and as you will see from the pictures, warranted wearing a parka and/or coveralls. Overall it was definitely on the cooler end of what is tolerable enough to make a fun day shooting, but target visibility was excellent and everyone seemed to have a good time. "Better than sitting at home!" was heard repeated more than once.

It was a little strange having Mom and Dad not there yesterday, and they were sure missed. It was definitely quieter and even seemed a little glum without Dad razzing everyone and telling jokes. They will be back for the next match, thank God. Coralee whipped up some home made chili, cornbread, and apple crisp for lunch. She was a bit frazzled as she had a hard time getting the beans in the chili done in time, but it turned out great. Mark Pachares brought some donuts and JD Farmer brought some super cookies he helped make. Thank you guys, I enjoyed the treats and I am sure everyone else did too.

The scores were interesting yesterday as it was amazing they all ended up so close together. Veteran shooter Joe Kapler showed us all up yesterday shooting a 24 using his small caliber rifle. So much for small calibers not performing in the wind! Kevin Finney was right on his heels with a 23 and was 1st place in AAA/Master Class. Steve Anderson has been shooting very well lately and he also fired a 24 to be our High A/AA Class, only losing to Joe because of chicken count. I suspect Steve will be AAA before long. It is always fun to see shooters working hard to improve and getting it done. Good shooting fellas! Also encouraging news is we had a new to Smithmoor shooter yesterday. Dan Womer has a few matches under his belt in other places and he came up to join us yesterday. We enjoyed having him around and I hope he felt welcome and comes back. We also had two other locals stop and watch the match for a while. They both seemed interested and hopefully will get guns and come back and shoot with us.

Thank you to everyone that comes out to shoot and helps make our range and events possible! I had a very enjoyable day yesterday even though I didn't shoot well and am already looking forward to the next one. Please remember, the Smithmoor 22 match will be held on the THIRD Saturday in December (the 16th), not the second, and there will be no big bore match in December. Michael Rix and I are planning on shooting in Butte Montana on the second weekend and we need to move the 22 match. We went ahead and canceled the December big bore as it is unlikely the weather will be nice enough to have an enjoyable match, but we can shoot 22's in almost any conditions. We are also planning a Schuetzen match for next Saturday the 25th. It will be a good day to get some practice in and I am planning 20 shots for score from the bench and 50 offhand. Centerfire or 22's are welcome, although I will be using black powder in my 32-40 to practice for the upcoming Butte match. Checkout the Smithmoor facebook page for lots of photos.

Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone,
Cody Smith

Smithmoor Range
291 County Rd 152
Carpenter, WY 82054
307-630-6816
307-649-2493

Shooter Class Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Place
Cody Smith Master 3 9 4 2 18
JD Farmer AAA 2 8 7 5 22
Kevin Finney AAA 1 10 7 5 23 1st Top 1/2
Joe Kapler AAA 2 10 6 6 24 MW
Mark Pachares AAA 0 8 5 9 22
Steve Anderson AA 0 10 8 5 24 1st 2nd 1/2
Greg Bybee AA 2 6 8 2 18
Dick Farmer AA 0 8 7 5 20
Dan Womer A 0 6 6 3 15
stevewhr

Re: Smithmoor November Big Bore Match

Post by stevewhr »

Just about froze my fanny, that wind was down right cruel. Still the company was good, the food was as always good, and I got to try my latest thinking concerning big bore. What's not good about that? Thank you Cody and Cora Lee for your hospitality. Could you have the wind at least quartering from behind next time? Got wearisome wiping tears from my eyes!
wyomingsightdrifter.com
Del

Post by Del »

stevewhr wrote:Got wearisome wiping tears from my eyes!
Sounds like we have been shooting the same... I cry after most of my shots too!! :( :( :lol:
Fortune Favors the Bold...
stevewhr

Post by stevewhr »

There is always those tears!
wyomingsightdrifter.com