2019 22 BPCRA Championship

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

2019 22 BPCRA Championship

Post by jackrabbit »

Shooters and Supporters of the 22 BPCRA, 7/7/2019
Now, I'm telling you guys, if you want to go shoot at one of the greatest ranges in the country, shoot among some of the very best riflemen and women in the country, and enter a match that is just about the most fun possible that one can have while shooting, you better make plans to get on down to the 22 BPCRA National Championship next year. This year's 22 BPCRA National Championship was held July 2nd and 3rd, 2019 at the NRA Whittington Center near Raton, New Mexico, and it was a ton of fun! On behalf of the 22 BPCRA board of directors, I want to thank everyone that shot, donated to, and helped run this fantastic match and give a bit of a run down of some of the happenings that went on.
July 1st was our set up and practice day and we had a good showing of the shooters to help us set up the targets. As most of you know, that wizard of all things metal, Mr. Dan Zimmerman, built us a 40 banks of resettable targets last year, as well as a trailer to store and haul them on with a lockable tool box for all the small parts. This was our second year using them and we think we have most of the quirks worked out. As you can imagine, setting up 40 banks of targets with sighters is quite a project, but with all of the help we had the range in tip top shape in an hour or two. Shooters were encouraged to give their banks a thorough testing before the match and to do any adjustments or lubrication then so they would function properly for the match.
The board of directors held their annual meeting mid-day. I thought it was a very positive, productive meeting and it was nice that all the board members were able to attend. Mostly we discussed details about how to run the match and where we want to take the 22 BPCRA in the future, but we did make two big decisions. The first one is the elimination of the B class. With the current state of the skill level of the shooters, it was felt that combining B class with A class would adequately cover the need and purchasing awards for B class was an unnecessary expense. The second one was the creation of Grand Master class. Over the last year or two there have been many debates (some of them rather heated) about what to do about master class becoming so large. Lots of ideas have floated around and it is hard to know what is exactly the best thing to do, but after much thought and discussion, this is what we decided. The current score breakdowns would remain the same, but another class will be added so that shooting three scores of 34/40 or greater or 51/60 or greater in a 2 year period will qualify you to shoot in the Grand Master class. Yahoo!! Now that's something to shoot for! Grand Master class will go into effect January 1st, 2020.
After a brief safety meeting, our Chaplain, Harold Forcum, led us in asking for a blessing over our match, then we sang the Star Spangled Banner and Match Director Kenny Tebbe handed the microphone over to Kirk Martin to call the shooters to the line. Kirk is normally one of our top competitors but recently had surgery on his hand so he volunteered to call the line, and an excellent job he did, too! Thanks a bunch, Kirk, for taking that job on!
Raton was really pretty this year as the grass was green from all the moisture, the skies were clear, and the trees, mountains, and wildlife add a different dimension to the match that you often don't get other places. The weather held quite nicely both days with only one squall on day 1 that only one relay had to deal with. Jim Gier of Montana Vintage Arms has graciously made us unique medallions to give to the winners for many years now. Our daily winners each received one. In Scope class, A/B class went to Shirley Jarvis with a 37, AA went to Woody with a 43, Hugh Mills took AAA with a 46, and Kenny Tebbe took Master with a 48. Kem Smith was 3rd overall with a 49, Ty Rice was 2nd overall with a 50, and John Haagen was High Overall also with a 50, beating out Ty by reverse animal count.
In Iron sights, A/B class was one by Tim Lee with a 35, Gail Shuttleworth took AA with a 37, Joaquin Bustamonte won AAA with a 39 and High Master was Vance Ballew with a 44. Third Overall was Brent Danielson with a 45, second was Joe Scott with a 48, and myself, Cody Smith was quite pleased to shoot a 50 to be High Overall Iron Sights.
Our Day 2 Scope winners were High A/B going to Richard Dipboye with a 36, AA going to George Dillman with a 43, AAA being taken by Hugh Wilson with a 49, and James Rodebaugh winning high master with a 50. 3rd Overall went to Edward Hager with a 50, 2nd overall to Ty Rice with a 50, and our fearless Match Director, Kenny Tebbe, taking the High Overall with a super 52!
Day 2 iron sights in A/B class was won by Peter Romanik with a 38, AA going to Gail Shuttleworth with a 45, AAA taken by Kenny Tebbe with a 44, and Bryan Rosenbaum winning high master with a 47. 3rd Overall went to Ron Calderone with a 47, 2nd Overall went to Brad Rice with a 49, and I was again pleased to take High overall with a 50.
With so many top marksman competing in this match, it is inevitable that there will be a bunch of ties. I love to shoot in and watch shoot-offs, but there often gets to be so many it is hard to manage it all. This year we decided to only shoot off for the top 3 aggregate places in overall and each class. All others would be decided by reverse animal count, unless it was a dead tie across the whole course. Even with this, we had plenty of shoot offs, and we got a bit discombobulated trying to get them figured out. The board wants to thank everyone for their patience and understanding in that this is a member ran organization and we are all just volunteering. We will do better next year.
So, without further delay, what everyone has been waiting for…….The Aggregate Winners! In scope class:
A/B Scope
3rd Richard Dipboye 63
2nd Jeffrey Krumm 63
1st Kent Wanderlich 67
AA Scope
6th David Smith 71
5th Jack Hawkins 73
4th Charles Dodd 76
3rd William Massarotti 81
2nd George Dillman 85
1st Richard Wood 86
AAA Scope
8th James Lee 86
7th Edward Hager 87
6th Daniel McDonald 90
5th Jim Gier 90
4th Hugh Wilson 90
3rd Joaquin Bustamonte 90
2nd Larry Gilley 92
1st Hugh Mills 95
Master Scope
8th Bob Smith 91
7th Kenny Wasserberger 92
6th Dan Zimmerman 92
5th Rick Moritz 92
4th James Rodebaugh 94
3rd David Barnes 95
2nd Vance Ballew 96
1st Bryan Rosenbaum 96
Overall Scope
3rd High Overall Kem Smith 97
2nd High Overall Kenny Tebbe 100
National Champion!! Ty Rice 101 winning a MVA Medallion, a beautiful range box made and donated by Harold Forcum and 5 boxes of RWS R100 ammo

In Iron Sight Class:
A/B Iron
3rd Tim Lee 66
2nd Peter Romanik 69
1st Dick Hennebry 69
AA Iron
3rd Gabe Rice 74
2nd Gunner Forcum 75
1st Gail Shuttleworth 82
AAA Iron
8th Tommy Schmidt 64
7th Todd Tullio 66
6th Sherman Brownlee 67
5th Gary Menhusen 72
4th Joaquin Bustamonte 75
3rd Mark Antes 78
2nd Kenny Tebbe 80
1st Brent Danielson 86
Master Iron
8th Vance Ballew 83
7th Kevin Griggs 84
6th Al Sledge 85
5th Bryan Rosenbaum 86
4th Brad Rice 87
3rd Chip Mate 87
2nd Kelly McNitt 89
1st Ron Calderone 89
Overall Iron Sight
3rd High Overall Robert Garibay 90
2nd High Overall Joe Scott 94
National Champion Iron Sight Cody Smith 100 winning an MVA Medallion, a special engraved MVA scope and 5 boxes of RWS R100 ammunition.

We also have four special classes that we were pleased to award this year. Our high super senior was Hugh Mills with a 95 and our high senior was Kem Smith with a 97. Coralee Smith was all smiles as she picked up her MVA High Woman Medallion and pink RTIC soft sided cooler donated by David and Carolyn Clark.
Perhaps the most exciting news of the match was our junior shooters. We had 7 junior shooters this year and they were a serious bunch! Cole Sauer ended up coming out in the lead with an 80, winning an MVA Medallion, some SK ammunition, and a beautiful 22 line box made by Brad Swenson. Harold Forcum made and donated one of his superb boxes to each of the other junior shooters. Gail Shuttleworth of CPA Rifles also donated a very cool original Stevens 44 in 22 long rifle for the Junior Shooters Shoot-Off. All of the junior shooters had a chance at the turkeys and Ava Lemaster came out the winner by shooting 5 in a row, twice. She was all smiles as she picked up her new rifle, but I thought the buttons were going to burst off of Grandpa and Grandma Joe and Carol Scott's shirt as they swelled with pride. Great Shooting Ava and a big thank you to the whole Scott family for sharing your family with us and being such a great example.
Lots of different people very generously donate tons of time, money, and products to this organization and match. Our Match Sponsor, Montana Vintage Arms, has graciously supported our matches since the beginning. All of their products are top notch and their support really helps make our match special. We also had several additional top level donors this year that gave prizes worth no small amount of money. They included Dan Zimmerman of DZ Arms, Gail Shuttleworth of CPA Rifles, Harold and Paulette Forcum, Swiss Powder, SPG Lube and Sales, RWS Ammunition, and Capstone Industries. A big thank you also goes out to George Dillman of Wyoming Armory Precision Rifle Company. George graciously brought his Polaris Ranger down to the match with him all the way from Cody, Wyoming for us to use for range work and target resets. It must have saved about a million steps and was very much appreciated. In addition to all of these donations, we had a plethora of door prizes that came from a large variety of very generous people and businesses. We, the board of directors and the shooters, wish to express our sincere appreciation to all that support our National Championship. Thank You!!
We had three positions up for election on our board this year. Joe Scott and Kenny Tebbe were re-elected and Kevin Griggs was voted in. David Wiese, one of our founding directors, was not reelected by a narrow margin. We want to express our sincere appreciation to David for the years he committed to our organization and for being there in the beginning to get this deal rolling. Thank you David for all of your time, money, energy, and ideas!
A list of our Current Board of directors and officers follows. Please feel free to contact any of the below people with any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, comments, or donations. This is a member ran organization and we are all striving to do the very best we can to serve you. Please check out our facebook page under 22 bpcra silhouette and our website at www.22bpcra.com for news, information, pictures and contact info.

David Barnes elected director
Paulette Forcum Vice President
John Gage elected director
Kevin Griggs Treasurer and elected director
Ty Rice elected director
Kenny Tebbe President and elected director
Joe Scott elected director
Cody Smith elected director
Kenny Wasserberger elected director
Bryan Youngberg elected director
Mary Zang Secretary

Keep your gun clean, my friends,
Cody Smith

Past National Champions
2012 Scope Jimmie Sommerfield 66/80
Iron Sight Brad Rice 64/80
2013 Scope Brian Chilson 67/80
Iron Sight Jack Odor 65/80
2014 Scope Brian Chilson 65/80
Iron Sight Jack Odor 67/80
2015 Scope Jimmie Sommerfield 69/80
Iron Sight Cody Smith 67/80
2016 Scope Brian Chilson 72/80
Iron Sight Rex Cinton 64/80
2017 Scope Rick Moritz 74/80
Iron Sight Jack Odor 64/80
2018 Scope Brian Chilson 111/120
Iron Sight Brian Chilson 102/120
2019 Scope Ty Rice 101/120
Iron Sight Cody Smith 100/120
buffalocannon

Re: 2019 22 BPCRA Championship

Post by buffalocannon »

Great match writeup jackrabbit. Best I've seen.
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

Any discussion on when next years Nationals will be held?
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

End of July is what I am hearing. 25th and 26th for 22's and I don't know about any of the rest.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

The 22BPCRA did a great job! The match was very well run! I agree with everything Cody said in his write-up. This is a match not to miss every year!

Clarence
40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl »

The .22 match is a good excuse to go to National BPCR not the other way around.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Great write-up Cody, and good shooting too. Sorry to have missed it this year. I wish I could read something on the big bore match. Brent's pictures were nice but left us wanting more.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Thank you guys for the kind compliments, I appreciate them very much. I am a little unsure of my writing and am always worried I am going to forget something or unintentionally offend someone.

I was VERY disappointed to not be able to attend the NRA BPCR matches this year. The crazy thing called work just got in the way. Anyway, I would do a write up, but I was not there and all I know is what I have heard, which is not much. I have found that the post match reports are probably about the most important thing a match director can do to build interest and support for his matches.
take care my friends, Cody
hueyw

Post by hueyw »

i guess that is another reason you are the top match director in the country! good shooting and great write up.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Wow Huey, what a compliment! Thank you, but I am far from the top match director. We have lots of great directors that put on great matches. I know, I have been to quite a few of them. I think I am just the most gabby and like telling everybody about what happened! :lol: :lol: :lol: The truth is, I am not much without my wife and folks. They are the ones that keep me organized, do all the good cooking, and make everyone feel welcome.
Thank you Huey.